MLG Shadows 4v4 2-Base

Discussion in 'Halo 3 MLG Maps' started by G043R, Dec 9, 2008.

1. HITtheLIGHTZ

HITtheLIGHTZ Ancient

You could not possibly be more wrong, wow.

The best mlg map makers (mlg forge forum) have constantly discussed making maps as interesting and complex as possible. Look at some of the asym sketchups over there like Mecro, Hangout, Phantasm (not yet built), or any of Nexn's sketchups. This is a terrible misconception that has been going around.

2. Linubidix

Linubidix Ancient

I'll ignore the silly bickering.

I got to play this a couple days ago, 3v3. I really enoyed it.
    It's a very nice change from most 2 base MLG maps. Most MLG maps themselves are the aesthetics feature, the geometry is the main aesthetic quality. While in this map the geometry is very nice and impressive, but it's standout aesthetic feature is the Pelican.

Despite Chron's absense ingame, I still had fun. As I've said, it was a nice and refreshing twist from most MLG maps, as it incorporated all of Foundry. I loved the addition of rockets, that was awesome when I stopped your entire team when you were inches away from a winning flag cap. High ground and low ground, there was a good blend of both. As I already said, I enjoyed playing this map.

Also, GO4, rules say: Your thread title can only be the title of the map.
    Please fix that asap.

3. Goatnuts

Goatnuts Ancient

I think I might be the third person or something to post a comment on this who has actually played a few games on this. So you will get some good constructive feedback as I know you probably are looking for. I do not comment on maps very often, but I see that your thread has been infected with empty posts that do not help you at all.

First I will start with the cons. First thing I notice when I look at the fifth picture is the those boxes could be flipped upside down so it would look a little better, however then you would also need to do a little geo merging so you don't get grenades stuck underneath them, I know it would be a chore but you do have time to improve on this map. In the third picture interlock the bridges and fence wall with the wall, it will look better and eliminate a bump if there is one. Just basically go around and take a bit of time to clean up and add some interlocks. Oh and try to fix those 1 or 2 bad spawns you get once in a while, but you probably already did.

Now for the good stuff. I really enjoyed playing this map I found the game play quite enjoyable. One thing I would like to stress to all of the people hating on the pelican is that not only is it for aesthetics its a main focal point in the gameplay. I would argue it serves more as a gameplay element than an aesthetic piece. Im also glad that you opened up the pelican. I never felt that the rockets were over powered, I think that 2 clips works just fine. The gameplay was the best part though, it never became repetitive mainly because there are so many different paths and lines that you can use. There are no camp spots on this map, a big plus. Pretty much the only bad part about gameplay was orangeremi with the sniper, but that can be fixed.

So pretty much no major changes the layout just clean up and add a few interlocks.

Gameplay 4.5/5

Aesthetics 3/5

Just remember though, aesthetics is what gets someone to download it and gameplay is what keeps it on their hard drive.

4. Sage

Sage Ancient

First of all, your welcome for doing all the somewhat hard (not really hard just GO43R sucks at geomerging) geomerging. I do like that map a lot. And i also like the pelican. I remember this map back in the idea stage. I think that once you have the weapons worked out that is map will definitly be on my fav list for MLG

5. s90henige

s90henige Ancient

For it being a first attempt @ MLG i give 2/5 and 1/5 for creativity. Map design it self has potential but the ship is just fugly. Try smoothing some areas down &/or replacing the ship with an elaborate bridge. An aesthetically pleasing bridge (especially with a central location) can really help a map. Overall 3/5/.

6. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

question, have you played the map yet? You don't rate it on just pictures. A 1/5 for creativity? How many pelicans have you seen on a map before let alone an MLG map. How many MLG maps use the entire foundry? Not many. The ship is well built and fuctional. If you had played the map, you would realize that there are no bumbs when walking around even if it looks like there are.

Now here is why I'm here. A weapons set I thought of. Switch rockets and overshield. Switch the maulers with the snipers. THen move the rockets out from in the pelican and on to the top of the pelican.

7. G043R

G043R Ancient

Alright are you willing to get a good group to test with me ...say Thursday or firday... say 9 or 10 EST?

8. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

I can do Friday at 9 if thats good with you. And I think I can get a good amount of people, but i'm not sure. I can do thrusday at like 4 as well.

PS: Remember that map rainbow snipers? Well the map in my sig is the one I told you about when I said I remade it and I turned it into a symmetrical MLG map so Hopefully I can get spawns and weapons in and we can try to do a test if we finish yours.

9. i can forge

i can forge Ancient

this map is very cool and would be good for koth so ya its also very creative

10. Xx BEHEM0TH xX

Xx BEHEM0TH xX Ancient

I downloaded the map and will have some further input once I playtest to some extent. I will not be able to do so until this weekend when I have some free time. Like I said, I like the creativity, but I am questioning gameplay. I'll have an actual review in the upcoming days. Until then I have no further comment.

11. G043R

G043R Ancient

Yeah... 4 is a bit to early I have class till 8:40 i'm sorry that We have to make it so late...I be happy to help test and advise on anything i think could help improve your map just the same...

12. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

First off, interesting that you put a Pelican. Not bad, because it didnt effect gameplay in a bad way.
    The map was fun, but I did have a problem with callouts on it. And with MLG maps, callouts are vital.
    The weapon placement was ok, seemed a little awkward for the snipers for my taste.
    Spawns were well, I didnt get spawn killed at all during those few games. And I found it great that you actually extended the map to the back hall ways. You really did do a good job with making the players go through the map effectively.

13. TheShastaCan

TheShastaCan Ancient

14. G043R

G043R Ancient

I thank you for your reply, I know how well your known in the MLG Community ... As for call outs I left it very open because it seems there they are very quick to pick up... if your team just starts naming things the way they want to call them...I was talking to Orangeremi about officially calling things in certain places... but I haven't found that perfect set...

15. G043R

G043R Ancient

Update... I am not going to work around the Weapon placement I felt like there was a need to work on them but I found it was a temporary issue I have found the set up i first went for works...

16. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Good news Goph. I may be getting an xbox today. Or soon.

I wanna play this map!

17. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

alrighty, nothing else worked. I thought the rocket overshield switch would. oh well.

18. G043R

G043R Ancient

Yeah It didn't have a pace of fighting for key weapons as much as the this set up...

I will not be home till 27th...

BTW thanks for the Christmas card...