Sandbox MLG Retention

Discussion in 'Halo 3 MLG Maps' started by HeadSnipingSam, Sep 25, 2009.

1. HeadSnipingSam

HeadSnipingSam Ancient

[​IMG]

Download

[​IMG]

Concept
    I went into this forge with an idea of what i was trying to accomplish. Many of the critics on my previous maps told me that I provided too much cover and made it too "Basey". I was going to make an open map. What? Yes a more open map. I started with a general concept of top mid and having it be surrounded by a peanut shaped outer edge. The angles turned out to not be all that sharp but it prefer it the way it is now.

Name/Spawns
    Retention basically means possession. To each his own (side). Because of the spawn system i have set up. The spawns will be similiar to pit in the fact that you only spawn on your side of the map. I actually set up a real spawn system this time. I didn't just place spawns everywhere. If you spawn somewhere where you are vounerable the rest of your team will spawn under cover or with a hieght advantage or something to that degree.​
    Recommended Gametypes
    Of all the testing session I did Flag worked the best for gameplay. I recommend using MLG Flag RETENTN which is the same as MLG Flag Nar V6. Quick returns are neccessary for this map. Flag was what this map was built for so I have to admit that it was pretty intense when the teams were even. Next was Team Slayer. Surprisingly team slayer played just about as well as Flag did.It had a great flow and was quite fair and balanced. Oddball and KOTH have been set up, but I'll tell you right now that that is not what this map was designed to accomodate. I would have to reccommend Ball over KOTH though just because there weren't very many good lcoations for the hills.​

Weapons List:
    sniper X2
    BRs X8
    Carbines X2
    Mauler X1
    Plasma Pistol X2
    Plasma Grenades X2​

Pics:

Overview 1
    [​IMG]

Overview2 with callouts (from red perspective)
    [​IMG]

Top Mid with mauler
    [​IMG]

Blue Base with more callouts (from blue perspective)
    [​IMG]

L1 (from red perspective) to blue side
    [​IMG]

Right Alley (from blue perspective)
    [​IMG]

Red$ Alley
    [​IMG]

R2 (from a blue side perspective)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for viewing this post. I intend to continue forging. Any criticism or ideas will be considered. Any post is better than no post. Remember kids-"Life is like a tube of toothpaste, the harder you try the more you can get out of it".
    [​IMG]

#1 HeadSnipingSam, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. l PATRICK l

l PATRICK l Ancient

i think the map itself looks pretty good, other than some aestheic mistakes, but the gameplay should play great, it is late here so i will test this tomorrow, again nicely forged

3. ShotRangE

ShotRangE Ancient

Decent map, if you really wanted to make the map look smooth and nicer you could've interlocked everything on the map like the platforms in the bases for example. I also think that the side bases are to open and instead of making 'cover' you should actually put a wall. I think it would be way more better if the middle of the map was closed in just so that you can't see another base across from you. Anyways it is just my opinion, but overall and once again I think that this is a decent map.

4. PiDGEY

PiDGEY Ancient

This looks like a sweet map, I'll definitely give it a DL. My only concern is the Plasma Pistols. They seem unneeded since there is no custom for them to counter, and in MLG, that's their basic purpose.

5. HeadSnipingSam

HeadSnipingSam Ancient

Yes i've been putting off the whole merging the floor in the base thing and that is a definite must, but the corners would become a camp spot if there was any more cover. The wedge smalls merged into the wall corner provide diagonal cover from the other side and both bases (if used properly) and it worked seemlessly during gameplay. This map, as said in the description, was meant to be open and supply large amounts of great lines of sight for both long and mid range combat (sniper or BRs).

"This looks like a sweet map, I'll definitely give it a DL. My only concern is the Plasma Pistols. They seem unneeded since there is no custom for them to counter, and in MLG, that's their basic purpose."-pidgey

yeah you are quite right. I had a perfect spot to put something but i just couldn't decide what would be the best and most balanced. would you rather see nothing or two plasma grenades under each corner. If you choose the latter i would delete the two plasmas bottoms mid and replace them with frags.

Seriously guys, thanks for commenting and all of what you said shall be taken into consideration. You've inspired me to go work on the v2.

#5 HeadSnipingSam, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009