Sandbox MLG Blackened

Discussion in 'Halo 3 MLG Maps' started by luckeas, Oct 27, 2009.

1. luckeas

luckeas Ancient

Map Title: Blackened **Updated Oct. 26th

Blackened Gameplay Video: Here is a Two Minute glimpse of gameplay, KOTH on Blackened.

Blackened Preview Video: Two Minute preview (walk-about) on Blackened.

**Note** These preview videos are of Default Blackened and not MLG Blackened.

About Your Map
    1. Blackened is a "Spiritual Successor" to The Pit. The design theme was built around aspects of Bungie's map variant. If you're a fan of The Pit, I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy this map too.

This map plays very well with KOTH and Slayer Game-Variants.

Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Map Title: Blackened **Updated Oct. 26th

2. scapegoat9595

scapegoat9595 Ancient

Very nice! are those upside down Stone Platforms merged in the ground?
    if so, sweeeeet!

3. FORGING2PERFEKTION

Nice Map i like that you interlocked and geo-merged almost you whole map.
    i also see that it seems that you go a nice layout and a good design.maybe its a little bit too open where you merged the stone platforms into the ground, but it looks veery nice.
    btw do u used ghost merging to merge the dtone platform into the ground?

4. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

Excuse this comment as doesn't directly pertain to the construction or gameplay of the map. Something I just wanted to point out, is to rarely, if ever, provide "cover" as you did. Cover shouldn't be dumpsters, or barrels, or in your case merged stone platforms. Cover should be the geometry of the map itself, the architecture. Maps don't necessarily need fillers to provide cover, and if needed just items to break the lines of sight. Look at Last Resort, or Valhalla. Neither of them have random boxes laying around, yet both of them play spectacular, with or without vehicles.

5. l PATRICK l

l PATRICK l Ancient

He makes a great point, i do have to agree. Anyways i tested this with some friends and i found the main problem was that the map was a bit open in my opinion, but hey thats just me

6. luckeas

luckeas Ancient

Well I'm pretty certain I agree with the principles that you are talking about. Nothing gets me more than obvious "cover" or what I usually call "clutter".

I suppose I was inspired more by what you see in Orbital or Citadel or even if you look at Last Resort right next to the Froman you have those Power Cores which provide great cover while still being fun to play in or even the necessary boulders you see around the map leading from one spot to the next.

This certain courtyard has seen a couple redesigns and this design provides good LoS while still adding flavor to the map.

I guess I'd ask you what maybe you would do in this circumstance? Because I think I've already found the sweet spot on this one.

#6 luckeas, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009