Merging Immovable Objects with Map Geometry

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Shock Theta, Jan 18, 2008.

1. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

Fiend, if you make a map with that justifies the merits of this glitch, please post it.

I honestly have to agree with Nemi because I believe there is very little use for this, but I am open to it, so forge away a map that uses this glitch effectively.

--dc

2. The publishing fiend

Fine i will, but i do wish to verify that i do agree with you to some extent in the way that it has limitations in its use due to unfairness however i shall incorporate it into one of my maps to demonstrate how such a glitch could be used

3. The publishing fiend

infact i just had an idea of a map i could make featuring this glitch it will be called 'pass the parcel' i will message here again when its done but it may be a week or more seeming as my halo 3 disc is currently MIA but i feel you are all being a bit too hasty about this i mean (analogy, doesnt actually play with transformers and cowboys) you are playing a game of cowboys and we just gave you a transformer so what do you do? you dont chuck it in the toy box, you banish from your room!!! anyway i just a mental spasm...

4. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

Maybe a "sentry" or security style role for one of the players, whose job is to kill/stop opposing players from reaching some sort of goal/checkpoint?

Just throwing things out there...

--dc

5. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

Again, that's not only based on honor rules, but also counting on the fact that players will not get so aggravated (either because they can't kill the sentry, or as the sentry no one is coming by because they know they can't fight back) to leave.

6. The publishing fiend

i was thinking more along the lines of that one team spawns inside these boxes which are in a row and the flag is in the first box in the row, the first person must throw the flag from their box to the edge of the next one where that player will pick it up and throw it to the next one, whilst the other team sits on top of the boxes and tries to return it before the team in the boxes scores. or even a race between two set of rows of boxes however your sentry map seem like a great idea too

7. The publishing fiend

also it would be highly possible for the players in the boxes to kill the sentry seeming as you can shoot through the boxes, hell you can even throw grenades through, we could even give them a warthog inside the boxes, trust me it works

8. The publishing fiend

im sure this has to be a quote or something but it seems to me that your only limitations are that of your own mind

9. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

The "sentry" role that I was referring to would obviously have to be tweaked so as not to be overpowering. Put simply, one player in the box as the sentry, everyone else outside trying to get by him.

And I thought you said no on could kill him while in the box?

--dc

10. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

the publishing fiend: Don't Triple-Post. You're Warned for a reason.

Eh, if you can find a good way to make this fun for everyone, be my guest. It's going to be very difficult though.

11. The publishing fiend

yea sorry about that triple post and the reason i said they could kill the sentry was because I thought it would be that the sentry would be outside the box keeping everyone else inside the boxes and yes they are invulnerable inside the boxes

12. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

That wasn't exactly clarified.

13. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

I'm just thinking of the "Storm the Beach" mini-game from Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64 version). The bears would try to kill all the squirrels storming the beach (though in this case the teddies could be killed). Wave after wave of squirrels would be killed before one was able to get through and score. This sentry game type could be made around the same principle.

*Reminisces about the awesomeness of Conker's Bad Fur Day...*

--dc

14. Rise Against

Rise Against Ancient

Can someone help me because the guide is not very helpful. I keep trying to merge my open single boxes upside down at stair height into the ground. It isnt working, it keeps interlocking the two together. It works fine with closed boxes, is there a trick to open boxes???

15. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

I'm assuming that your stairs are merged into the ground as well, otherwise you wouldn't need to do it.

The best thing to do is set the stairs to not start at the beginning of the round and wrap the box you're going to merge into the ground with walls so it won't move from side to side. Then use whatever trick you think works best for you (using doors are the fastest for me) for geo-merging and that should take care of it. Let me know if you need a more in-depth explanation.

16. Rise Against

Rise Against Ancient

Well I put the stairs on its side, then put the open single box on it upside down. After that I delete the stairs, set the box to not start at begining. In the new round I put a open single box on the ground where the blue dot is and set the run time minimum to the run time max. At that point the open box should be in the gound after I save and quit but its not. It works for regular closed boxes, but not open boxes....

17. Iv0rY Snak3

Iv0rY Snak3 Ancient

thanks for this shock did you actually discover it or was it someone else

18. spacemarine

spacemarine Ancient

Wow, nice tutorial. Does this only work on foundry and/or immovable objects?

19. fornozo

fornozo Ancient

nice i managed to merg items into the ground but i cant seem to get em throught walls :/ . Eny one please explain :)

20. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

Any map, but only with immovable objects. In other words, you can't merge vehicles, street cones, pallets, etc. into the ground.

--dc