Foundry Mephisto

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Solo, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Solo

Solo Ancient

Name:: Mephisto

Authors:: Solo (GT = Soloist)

Map Layout:: Asymmetrical, circulating around the back alley of Foundry. Initial inspiration from Linubidix's "Remedy."

Map Size:: 2-5 players. Keep the FFA parties to a maximum of five people.

Map Variations:: MLG settings (Turn off starting grenades for best results)

Game types:: TS, 1 Flag CTF, 1 Bomb Assault, Oddball, FFA. 2v2 Slayer is recommended. Honestly, it is superb, and probably the most fun I've had playing Halo in quite awhile. From the first game of testing, I knew it was something spectacular.

Weapons:: 4 Battle Rifles, 4 Plasma Grenades, 8 Fragmentation Grenades, 1 Carbine, 1 Plasma Pistol, 1 Sniper Rifle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh, this picture can't end well. :D

Click below to Download!

Mephisto

#1 Solo, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. alextrer

alextrer Ancient

cool see a lot of merging probably ghost merging but still looks really fun perfect for my parties of 4-6.definitely dl keep forging ang can you give a description of the map???

3. ZoroSeerus

ZoroSeerus Ancient

I had a lot of fun playing on this, especially the 8 person FFA lol. This map ran 1v1s great, and 2s was really fun, but make sure you play with no nades on start.

4. Zebra

Zebra Ancient

This reminds me so much of the map that had a bioshock look to it(I forgot the name sadly)

It looks like it's worth a download, I'll try it out tomorrow and give a valid opinion. =)

5. Spaghettimanp1

Spaghettimanp1 Ancient

I am always looking for good casual slayer matches and this looks like a wonderful example...keep up the good work!

6. superguh007

superguh007 Ancient

This map grabbed my attention pretty quickly, not just because of the number of merges, but because they're all so clean. So I downloaded it, did a forge-through, and my initial impressions were reinforced. There's a great attention to detail throughout the map- and the humping trucks in the background are hilarious.

Then I called one of my roommates over to try it out. He had a little trouble getting oriented, although I didn't have the same trouble since I'm more familiar with Foundry. Maybe you could add a little more visual distinction to different parts of the map, though.

I thought the weapon balance was great. The sniper and plasma pistol were definite draws but weren't overpowering at all. Also, the general lack of ammo definitely promoted movement.

However, I had two big concerns. The teleporter was completely out of place. In such a small map, it seemed unnecessary, and every time we used it the resulting fight just seemed awkward. If I played the map a second time, I'd avoid the teleporters entirely. My other major concern was that the layout led to predictable encounters. For example, every time I'd run up the ramps toward the carbine, I'd get shot in the back by the sniper. Again, that makes me feel like I need to avoid that area altogether, and that leads to stagnation in the map.

On the whole though, this map is really great. I'm really impressed by how clean and detail-oriented the merging is. I just hope you can iron out some of the gameplay kinks for a version 2.

7. Dobam

Dobam Ancient
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Wow cool map ! I think you get bassed on Remedy a creeping death map ! Anyway your map are unique because your weapon choice are great for your map maybe add a over or a camo ! I give you a download and a 4/5 !

8. Ac3Snip3r

Ac3Snip3r Ancient

!Wow your gra!mmars and your spellin!gs is bad!s and your exclamatio!n points are annoyings and overused!! Weapon choice is unique? What's that supposed to mean?

The aesthetics on this map are great and I love how you used the inside area instead of the outside part like they do in grifball and so many foundry maps these days. The gameplay looks pretty decent, I am going to have to try it but I can already say the gameplay is going to turn out well.

9. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Ancient

Wow your originality is beaming through this map. I assume you used ghost merging but I love how you used the most difficult half of Foundry to execute your idea. I'll DL and get back to you on the gameplay, but nice job!

10. pyro

pyro The Joker

This is epic. You do not see this type of flawless merging often. It is quite small but you could still put more weapons out. Three weapons besides BRs is just not enough, even for a map this small.

11. TKS x MoNsTeR x

TKS x MoNsTeR x Ancient

This map truly highlights the amazing quality of forging that is available on Foundry. I challenge all of you to do a forge-through simply to check out the seamless forging that Solo executed quite nicely.
    Mephisto is in such a unique place and creates a very, very different feel than any other Foundry small asym. map I've seen.
    Job well done Solo.

12. Darkside102

Darkside102 Ancient

y do some people act as if ghost merging is a pathetic escuse in forge and originality? how so?

anyways I played this map with a party of 4 playin 2v2, at start it was fun, but later the carbine area seemed like a "o please shoot me" zone and wat are teleporters doin on a small map such as this. I motion that u delete the teleporters, add (aesthetically pleasing) cover to the ramp o' carbine, and add some aesthetics that tell which side ur on(red/blue/yellow sides), and get this map featured cause it has a chance if u can clean up some of the gameplay.

13. ZoroSeerus

ZoroSeerus Ancient

You sir, are an idiot. Getting rid of teleporters for aesthetics is exactly what he DOESN'T need to do. Go learn something about competitive Halo, because you clearly know nothing if that is your opinion.

14. Solo

Solo Ancient

It opens up a new world of item manipulation, that's why. Also, the teleporter gives players an alternative route in FFA, but function heavily in the symmetrical gametypes as well. For example, teammates can use it to quickly score the flag in CTF, or arm the bomb in assault.

I'd really appreciate feedback on gameplay, guys. Rather than what I should add or take away from the geometry. At this point, layout changes are non-negotiable, and the map is as aesthetically polished as it is going to get. Try to assume that, please. (However if I do, in fact, recieve some logical concerns, I will gladly re-consider.)

#14 Solo, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  15. saml1997

saml1997 Forerunner

ghost merging objects to be flat is very hard for me, is there a way to make that easier? the objects are hard to put even

16. Solo

Solo Ancient

Line the objects up before you clone them, that's what I do. After you get the certain item to where you need it, you can set the run-time minimum to the maximum.

#16 Solo, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  17. MetaLemur

MetaLemur Ancient

nice this is really cool and clean. i love the whole idea of the map and the aesthetics are amazing. but what should i expect from you solo. you have some of the cleanest merging that ive ever seen on any of your maps

18. G043R

G043R Ancient

I read in your description to use the MLG variation, are you in fact intending it to play as an MLG map, because if so You posted this in the wrong section. I bring this up because If it were MLG my suggestion would actually be entirely wrong.

Both from doing a forge around as well Looking at your pictures You made it rather to the point. Your map has not used very many movable objects. It could be your forging style, but to add realism to your map often it helps to add a few barrels or crates. These also help players see weapons in spots they often would over look if nothing Caught there eye there.

Think of some of bungies maps and how they combine the idea. PS If this is MLG you can't use moveable... so that is again why I openly asked you.

19. RaBBiiTTT

RaBBiiTTT Ancient

How does this map run 1v1's well? I've played it, and the spawns were excruciating. All the time, players spawn either in "Gray Box A" or "Gray Box B". I had an easy time predicting my opponent's spawns.

As for the games with more players, I have yet to test it again. Amazing job on its design, though. People should make more maps like this.

20. G043R

G043R Ancient

I have to differ... but again I was in customs playing 6ffa. That made the maps true spawns reflect and it played wonderfully.