MBT Stargate ~ Working Stargate ~ Images

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Revelation-Six, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revelation-Six

Revelation-Six Ancient

Here is my very first contribution to Forgehub. I hope you like it.

This is a map I designed to loosely resemble the Stargate Command from Stargate SG-1. The Stargate looks a lot like the one from the show / movie, although astute fans will notice there are too few chevrons on the gate. The gate is constructed using doors and shield doors. The chevrons are created with teleporter receivers. As you walk into the Stargate, you are quickly caught by a mancannon which forces you through a teleporter to a platform above the Stargate Command. The teleporter is different in that the momentum gained from the mancannon continues upon exiting and the player is literally forced onto the platform.

The rest of the map is designed with gameplay in mind. I tried to envision an actual slayer game and how players would move through the map as I was creating it. Obviously I also wanted to stay somewhat true to the show as well, so you will find that the gateroom is overlooked by a command center similar to the show. In the show, there are exits to either side of the gateroom. I did take some liberty and added an extra entrance / exit. As you play the map, I think it helps to be able to access the gateroom from any point of the map.

An obvious choice for placement of a sniper rifle would have been on the platform overlooking everything, however I'm not a big fan of placing sniper rifles in the exact locations where they're most used. I want players to move around rather than just camping. Therefore, I placed the sniper rifle directly below the platform in the command center. This way, would-be snipers will have to drop down from the platform, grab the sniper and travel back through the Stargate.

The only two power weapons on the map are the shotgun and the sniper rifle. I daresay the shotty is the more powerful of the two considering the size of the map. I'm not a big fan of power weapons but, more to the point, most of the game's power weapons would not be true to the show. SG-1 wouldn't pick up a rocket launcher and start firing inside the gateroom. I simply didn't see that happening. I did toy with the idea of using the fuel rod cannon, but again... too powerful a weapon for too small a map.

Here's a taste of what to expect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, you can download MBT Stargate here:

Stargate Link

#1 Revelation-Six, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. Gordo24

Gordo24 Ancient

This is a sweet looking map but it should probably be in the ascetics forum not the competitive. Just FYI and you should embed your photos not just have a link use the *[​IMG]* bbcode

3. Phreakie

Phreakie Ancient

Wow! the picture of the Gate looks pretty good. Nice use of Shield doors.

4. Creeping Death

Creeping Death What's a Halo?

I like the gate,looks sick. This maybe a casual map however.

5. Ballika

Ballika Ancient

not contradicting you guys, but how come a casual map or aesthetic? i haven't DL'd (yet) but it looks like a playable competitive map. Just because the map has a high aesthetic quality doesn't automatically downgrade its playability.

And by the way, since this map is so clean and cool, you should try to get it to those Red Vs Blue guys so they could make fun of stargrate and MacGuyver!

#5 Ballika, Apr 3, 2008
  6. General Meaty

General Meaty Ancient

yeah, i have to agree the gate is very good. and about the casual/competitive arguement, it doesn't really matter. you can play it on any gametype no matter the map.

7. Revelation-Six

Revelation-Six Ancient

I thought about which forum to put it in, but looking at the descriptions of the forums, it seemed that competitive was the best place for it. Yes, the gate looks nice, but as I said, my first concern was gameplay. I was very careful about how I placed weapons and tried not to overload the map with them. I was very careful about maneuverability within the map. The games I've played on it were very fast paced and competitive. I also set the map up for all gametypes... I should have mentioned that by the way. I think if you try the map, you'll see that it's very playable. The pace of the games reminded me a lot of Halo 2's Warlock.

#7 Revelation-Six, Apr 3, 2008
  8. Creeping Death

Creeping Death What's a Halo?

Ahh, yeah I suggested casual based on the fact that I assumed it was
    Slayer only. Typically maps with one centralized icon set up for just Slayer fall into the casual genre.

I'm glad to see you incorporated all gametypes in,it really add's to the quality of the map.

9. Diehear

Diehear Ancient

where does it go?

10. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

Wow, that stargate is very sexy. Does it kill the framerate to look at it though? I may just have to borrow that idea a little sometime in the future lol.

As for the rest of the map it all looks good. I can't help but feel though that it's kinda a really nice aestetic feature, with an ordinary map built around it... it doesn't seem inkeeping. Ack idk. Nice work on that circular floating platform thingy btw.

11. Revelation-Six

Revelation-Six Ancient

I haven't noticed any lag myself. I had multiple mancannons and that resulted in some lag so I nixed them. The map is relatively simple and small but the gameplay is a lot of fun. As they say, sometimes less is more.

12. Gravedigger2

Gravedigger2 Ancient

This map looks pretty good. I like the interlocking and things used here.

However your not the first to include a working Stargate in their map. (and mine was bigger :p)

13. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

Gravedigger I am sorry but his looks really good, yours was good and all but he based his map around this one so it has to be good.

Regarding the map looks playable, and looks kind of fun. The main quality that catches my eye is the Stargate. I definitely will give this map a try, hopefully I will not be disappointed.

14. Whisper

Whisper Ancient

Very nice looking Stargate. Looks a lot like the real (lol?) one.

15. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

<3 Stargate. I'ma download this one, check how it plays. I thought this might belong in Aesthetic, but it looks like much more than just the gate. Will leave feedback later.

16. American10

American10 Ancient

Nice map you watsh stargate atlantis?(it's the best show!)

17. Comrade172

Comrade172 Ancient

Stargate is the best show ever made. I love the fact that you can go through the stargate. I just wish you could dial it. But it still looks like an awesome map and i can't wait to play.

18. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

Well, this map LOOKS very good. I'll give you that. But, unfortunately, it doesn't play as good as it looks. I can't really put my finger on it, it's just not a fun map to play on. And the empty outer ring is fail.

I think that you should concentrate your skillz not on making the map playable, but make it look even more like the show/movie. Then, aesthetics. Then, ???. Then, PROFIT.

19. Revelation-Six

Revelation-Six Ancient

Kapura, I appreciate the comment. If you have any insight as to what makes it "not fun," then I'd definitely be interested in hearing it. Honestly, you're the first person in over 700 downloads that has said this... including an awful lot of play-testing. I respect everyone's opinion though and I do take all comments into consideration.

20. American10

American10 Ancient

Ok i cleared some space so I can download it.(next project could be stargate atlantis!?!?!?!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.