Marilyn Mansion

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Glimflicker, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

Download the map here.

The beautiful mansion, the beautiful mansion.
    duh-da-dun
    The beautiful mansion, the beautiful mansion.
    duh-da-dun...

The goal I set out to achieve with this map was a truly open-ended gameplay experience. Most maps suffer from the fact that the majority of their rooms are accessible in very few ways, most of which aren't even entertaining. Aside from two rooms on the ground floor of the mansion, I strove to make every room have multiple interesting entrances and exits. I used fence walls for the ceiling/floor between the first and second floors to help give the map a more open feel, and allow for multi-level fire fights.

This map has been catered to FFA gametypes, though any gametype is technically playable on it. I personally recommend Team Slayer, FFA Slayer, and Juggernaut (poor stealth camo for players: Hide and Seek!). Pictures and full item details are below.

Front View of the Mansion: You can see the mancannon that launches you up the the roof, the front door, the two garages, and one of the defensive turrets (it's upside down, look closely under the lip created by the roof).
    [​IMG]

View of the Living Room: You can see into one of the garages, the front door, the sword hearth display, and the lights on the ceiling. This is the most open and accessible room in the house with 4 entrances.
    [​IMG]

Looking down on the first floor (Active Camo room) from the first floor (Brute Shot room). The stairway to the roof is accessible through the hallway the blue player is looking down on the second floor.
    [​IMG]

Looking down on a Blue player on the first floor (Living room) attacking a Red player on the second floor (Shotgun room).
    [​IMG]

Looking into the mansion from the back door: This is what you see when you enter through the house through the rear door. You can once again see part of the sword display in the living room. Stairs were used instead of bridges and fence walls were used instead of regular walls to increase visibility (and vulnerability) inside the mansion.
    [​IMG]

Location of the Grav Lifts: Two Grav Lifts are located on either side of the mansion's back door.
    [​IMG]

Grav Lift assisted entry to the second floor: The gaps present in this hallway are to allow access to and from the ground level. This really neat feature came to be when I ran out of all forms of walls.
    [​IMG]

Back corner of the roof: You can see the double mancannon setup that launches players from the shotgun room on the second floor to the roof in this picture. Also, the bubble shield and stairway access to and from the second level can be seen.
    [​IMG]

Another view of the roof: Here you can see the stairway between the second floor and the roof.
    [​IMG]

Blocked off: The entrances to the traditional bases in Foundry have been blocked off. Grav Lifting up to the ledges is possible, but leaves you very vulerable (see below).
    [​IMG]

Rocket Launcher corridor: I used the ducting present on the level to create a tunnel to the Rocket Launcher. Risk versus reward indeed.
    [​IMG]

Grav Lift accessible: Using a Grav Lift to reach the roof isn't just fun, it's encouraged. Unfortunately for our friend here, his enemies were also able to make use of his get away Grav Lift.
    [​IMG]

Weapons placed on map:
    • 2 x Sword (no respawn)
    • 2 x Turret (no respawn)
    • 1 x Rocket Launcher (180s respawn)
    • 1 x Sniper Rifle (180s respawn)
    • 1 x Spartan Laser (180s respawn)
    • 2 x Mauler (120s respawn)
    • 1 x Shotgun (120s respawn)
    • 2 x Battle Rifle (120s respawn)
    • 2 x Carbine (120s respawn)
    • 1 x Needler (90s respawn)
    • 1 x Brute Shot (90s respawn)
    • 2 x SMG (60s respawn)
    • 2 x Spiker (60s respawn)
    • 2 x Grav Lift (60s respawn)
    • 4 x Frag Grenade (60s respawn)
    • 4 x Plasma Grenade (60s respawn)
    • 4 x Spike Grenade (60s respawn)
    • 1 x Firebomb Grenade (60s respawn)

2. TheYavimayan

TheYavimayan Ancient

That looks sooo good...I must play it...aesthetics FTW

3. rusty eagle

rusty eagle Ancient

Definitely a must, good use of scenery, I like it very much! Your walls look great as well.

4. SniperTofu

SniperTofu Ancient
    Banned

Any beautiful people in the mansion?

5. Poztar

Poztar Ancient

This map looks great. It's design looks good and it seems like it'd be fun to play on too. The weapon and equipment list is a nice touch as well.

6. Maxwell360

Maxwell360 Ancient

This looks like a must have. I am your guy for balanced, FFA maps with each room having multiple entrances just like a professional bungie map includes.

7. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

Sadly, they're all at the dope show. :( I must credit Lenocinor for the name of the map. I spent a long time trying to come up with a catchy name, and after only five minutes or so he blurted out "Marilyn Mansion." I initially dismissed it, but as the map evolved over the past few weeks it grew more and more on me until I absolutely had to rename the map. I plan to release a team-friendly version of the map for CTF, Assault, etc. with the original name "Maniac Mansion." Not an original name, but great NES homages are always good.

8. Blazen Nite

Blazen Nite Ancient

looks really good. and since it's competitive, i'll definitely dl

9. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

This looks worthy of a feature. I'll discuss this with true.

10. opothehippo

opothehippo Ancient

ill download just cause of the name.

11. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

Has anyone played a round or two on this yet? I was thinking of removing the turrets, but I love the aesthetics and feel that it's not overdone since you have to grenade them down (meaning you can't have an infinite clip while on the base), plus they don't respawn. Any thoughts?

12. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

I haven't had the pleasure of actually playing the map, but I have walked around it and gotten feel for it. It is really well built, and the map design suggests very dynamic game play.

13. chromebandit

chromebandit Ancient

Amazing Map. You just gave me an idea on a new zombie map i'm gonna make

14. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

Wow this actually looks pretty good, Ima DL it and let u know how i like it once i get the chance to play it.

15. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

I've always had a blast playing on it with my friends--it just seems hard to get an opinion from people once they have downloaded it and tried it themselves.

Also, I added some pictures of the other rooms in the original topic.

16. ShadowSnip3r RC

ShadowSnip3r RC Ancient

This is a clean and clever design scheme which I like. I like the fact that you have some elongated corridors and corners that give the map a spooky mansion feel to it. Good job and keep it up.

17. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

Thanks, I wanted each room to have a unique feel to it. I feel that I accomplished that with most rooms, but it's really hard to pull it off for every room with the budget and item limits.

18. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

This is really well done... make sure you hit up the guilder app section when you hit 100 posts... cuz your maps have been extremely good from what I have seen.

19. shadow0324

shadow0324 Ancient

does this really belong in competitve maps? I think it would be better in Ashtetic maps only because it looks like there is a Mansion and nothing else. If it's going to be a competive map maybe lock off the the mansion to make the inside only playable.

20. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

I still havent been able to play on it, but I did check it out with 4 other people:

First thing I noticed is after randomly walking around the Mansion, i suddenly had 2 of every grenade in the game. Generally, thats a no-no.

I also noticed that the entire map feels extremely open and empty. There is like no asesthetic scenery whatsoever, and the area outside the mansion feels kind of neglected.

Im guessing thats probably because of budget issues, since you did do a fantastic job making the actual mansion itself. Build quality on the map is great. I totally love the crossed swords, and the lights and chandelier.

Overall I still give this map 8/10,

but id say u might want to see if you can balance it out a bit more. If someone with a good BR was to hold the top they could pin teams outside for a long time.

We also noticed if u have the grav lifts u can get the swords.

Good work, cant wait to see more from ya.