2-4 Players Marble

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by X2Sora, Jul 4, 2013.

1. X2Sora

X2Sora Halo 3 Era

Marble

Marble is a small asymmetrical map made for 1v1/2v2 games of slayer. Aesthetically the map is heavily influenced by roman and Greek architecture. The map has been in testing for about two weeks and the map has already gone through substantial change. I am now looking for feedback or help from the community to help make the map play better. Here are some screenshots showcasing most of the map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the bottom level.

[​IMG]

Finally an overview to wrap everything together.

[​IMG]

The map currently has a sticky detonator and railgun as its primary power weapons. And as stated earlier I am open to all forms of feedback. If you are interested on playing the map send me a message or download the map by clicking here. Thank you for taking the time to look at my preview.

2. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

The bottom area shown in the final image looks way too segmented. I'll have a look of Forge sometime if you catch me online. Otherwise, nothing pops out to me.

3. Elliot

Elliot BIOC
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Looks very interesting. Send me a friend request and I'll join testing. GT: El Trocity.

4. X2Sora

X2Sora Halo 3 Era

I intentionally made bottom a bit segmented, but from testing it did not feel all that segmented. Well hopefully we can get together in forge some time and I would definitely like your opinion in the matter.

I will make sure to send you a request next time I am on Elliot. I am always looking for extra testers and feedback.

5. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

This is a really beautiful map.

There are two areas where I see some room for improvement yet. The first is an aesthetic thing that I generally wouldn't even mention, but the rest of the map looks so nice that I can't help myself... There are a few areas where blocks look like they're placed purely for functional reasons (as cover, or to segment the map). I think you can reach a better balance of aesthetics and functionality. The main areas that stood out to me were the 2X4 blocks that are sticking up and not connected to anything on the top, and the 4X4 blocks that are used to segment the ramp area on the right side of the first picture. They appear to be haphazardly placed, and really stand out compared to the rest of the map, which looks quite smooth.

The other area is the section that Audi mentioned. While I didn't feel it was too segmented from the rest of the map, I did feel that the flow through that section of the map left something to be desired. The connections from the ramps on the one side feel a bit cramped. Forcing player to zig zag to get to the Railgun from that side seems really unnecessary, and really hurts the flow in my opinion. I think you can smooth out those connections and still limit the lines of sight across that end.
    I just went into forge and threw some stuff together to address the issues I've brought up. Maybe it will spark some ideas for you. What I did is certainly not polished, but you'll get the main ideas I was going for. Here's the link if you want to take a peek. Marble - Edited

I'm very much looking forward to the final release of this.

6. X2Sora

X2Sora Halo 3 Era

Thanks for all the honest and insightful feedback Chunk. Taking the time to edit my map and demonstrate your ideas for changes was really helpful and has definitely given me inspirations. So once again thank you for the extra effort. After looking through your revisions to my map I agree with all the edits. I will try my best to incorporate most if not all of your edits to the best of my ability. I will keep this thread updated with any changes I make to the map. Hopefully by the time the map is ready for release we will have maybe play tested the map together to see just how helpful your feedback has been.