Map Feature: Storm Peaks

Discussion in 'Features' started by Given To Fly, Dec 16, 2016.

By Given To Fly on Dec 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM
  1. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

[​IMG]

Hello everyone,
    I'm pleased to announce the latest featured map here at Forgehub. When creating these features, a lot of time and energy gets put forth, and I just want to take a minute to thank you for reading. This is one of the most honorable mentions possible on Forgehub, and I am very pleased to announce that Storm Peaks has achieved a spot in our hall of fame!

This non conventionally structured design illustrates that going outside the box, can be more successful than any previously proven map format. Storm Peaks was designed for 2v2 gameplay, and is nothing short of exciting. Xandrith has carefully integrated narrow pathways with ascending gameplay, and the lack of railings on the map proves to hold a frustrating, yet rewarding foothold for traversing the level.

[​IMG]

The artistic theme of Storm Peaks helps provide an ancient castle structure set high on a blistering snowy mountain peak. Careful attention to detail has made sure that the aesthetics are consistent. While the map is not visually revolutionary, it is certainly convincing. It is important to note that the aesthetics play into how the map plays. Inside the main towers lay spiral staircases. These staircases are created from suspended wooden planks with seamless invisible barriers that solidify a smooth transition between steps. Not only does it look fantastic, but it is quite dynamic. I've had entire gunfights between the planks while traversing upwards to my destination. It is quite a refreshing feeling to know the player above has no dramatic leverage simply due to their significant height advantage.

[​IMG]

The two narrow bridges that lead into the largest tower are stacked directly on top of each other, yet provide distinct differences. That isn't to say they cannot play off each other, as seen in the video feature. The lower bridge houses a damage boost power up that proves critical. The higher bridge houses a teleporter receiver node. While you exit the teleporter with a significant height advantage, you are utterly exposed and vulnerable to gunfire from around the map.

[​IMG]

The strict pathing was initially a concern for me. I had fallen off several times, and thought it to be awkward. But after several tests, I had become familiar with the map, and comfortable navigating it. Upon further investigation, it became clear to me that it was much more rewarding to be able to predict enemy movement due to strict pathways. 2v2 gameplay is perfect on this map due to this philosophy. The gameplay, much like the available routes, establishes a strict set of rules. These rules that are sometimes difficult to establish, due to Halo 5's spartan abilities, are clearly set up in an effective manner throughout Storm Peaks.

[​IMG]

The weapon set is crucial in support of the design. Rockets provide a distinct tool for flushing out the enemy from any position, and have proven to provide a Hail-Mary play against unsuspecting players across map. An overshield is placed at the lowest location on the map so players who pick it up, must fight their way back upwards in a series of vertical engagements. It also aids in pushing the enemy throughout the map.

[​IMG]

The damage boost is arguably the most important pick up on the map. It acts as a powerful supportive gameplay factor, and can easily help win cross map encounters. Lastly, the hydra has its own respective place on Storm Peaks. The majority of engagements occur in the exterior locations, and with a skillful aim, the hydra can provide some creative and critical kills across and through the map.

[​IMG]

Overall, Storm Peaks is a wonderfully fresh breath of air, that deserves a download.

Download: Storm Peaks
    Original Thread: Here

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Features' started by Given To Fly, Dec 16, 2016.