Map Feature: Fullmetal

Discussion in 'Features' started by AlexVan123, Aug 5, 2016.

By AlexVan123 on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:13 PM
  1. AlexVan123

AlexVan123 Halo Customs

fullmetal_feature_banner.jpg

When you want a map that has some excellent gameplay, requires competitive skill, yet maintains a high level of graphic fidelity, Fullmetal, a new map by xDemption comes to mind. Built for hardcore 4v4 combat, Fullmetal provides an experience that is unique in its own taste, yet provides something familiar to skilled players. Inspired by maps from Halo 3, Forger xDemption manages to pull off a design that is remarkably nostalgic, with a certain twist, and upscaling to the speed of combat Halo 5 provides, that ultimately delivers a product worthy of professional-level competitive play. Let’s take a look at the map, shall we?

fullmetal.jpg

The first thing you’ll notice when playing on the map for the first time is the Pelican, which is one of the best ways to determine the theme of the map, along with the rest of the aesthetic. It’s clear that the cave-like structure is inspired by a certain UNSC base in the countryside of Voi, that being from the mission “Crow’s Nest”. The pelican also defines a location of intense combat, as it is the location of the Sniper Rifle, one of the most powerful weapons on the map, as well as being an important locale for getting across the map, as it is easier to assault the enemy base this way as the path is shorter, and the sightlines are more limited.

FM2.png

Fullmetal has a lot of pathing involved in its intricate design. Multiple small routes between the bases allow fast, fluid combat. There are three main routes, the outside route, the inner route, also known as the “natural” route, and the middle route. Each path has unique gameplay ideas built in to maximize the number of different combat scenarios the player can engage in. These paths are incentivized by having a power weapon located in each path, those being a Hydra launcher, Sniper Rifle, and a Rocket Launcher.

Screenshot-Original (24).png

I had the lucky opportunity to sit down with the man himself, xDemption, to discuss the map.

Alex: What inspired the art and design of Fullmetal?

xDemption: The design was inspired from combining two drastically different map concepts; Guardian and Standoff. The challenge brought together more traditional concepts of halo and fused different aspects of both. I felt the challenge would help me grow as a forger and allow me to see what is possible now with all the experience I have gained.

Alex: Why did you choose to keep the map so open?

xDemption: One word, fluidity. I wanted to make the map both linear and fluid in certain aspects. The ease of movement makes the map play in a fluid manner with all it's movement options, but keeping the map open makes it so movement will be linear based on the positioning of players. The map might appear open, but a skilled player will be able to ghost an enemy opponent.

Alex: What ideas went into the layout of the map?

xDemption: The layout was inspire partially by guardian with a mix of highground in some ways. The layout in a way is more traditional to halo but also dictated by the lines of sight throughout the map. Each area either low or high plays a different role in the map, through pushing and engaging using low points and holding at high points. Each holding point is effectively spread throughout the map like an equilateral triangle, each with their own advantages / disadvantages. The greatest aspect of the map has been the bunker windows, which plays a huge role in the overall gameplay as each one has a specific line of sight to help position breaking and line of sight team control.

Alex: Why did you choose to make the map have such limited verticality?

xDemption: That is based on what people have defined as Verticality. A map might have high vertical areas but still play flat. Why? The engagements. While the areas themselves don't change too drastically in vertical height, each point of engagement is constantly being fought at different planes so you are never fighting on the same level. The true definition of verticality on a map isn't defined by how much elevation you have but how much those elevations engage with each other.

Alex: Why did you put 3 power weapons on the map?

xDemption: I was actually going for a similar power weapon set up to Eden, with strongholds also flipping to power-ups just like Eden. It was a call made to make a familiar set up so players can better adapt to the map.

Alex: Are there any easter eggs?

xDemption: I will let you guys figure that out >;D

Alex: What will we see from you next?

xDemption: If I can get the scripting to work . . . I can make something which will blow some minds :)
    Truth be told there are some maps I still need to update some of my past maps before I can move on to my next projects. But I can promise one thing, You ain't seen nothing yet.

You can view the map here and you can download the map off of xDemption's file share here.

MULLERTJE, Agatio, Drizzy_Dan and 8 others like this.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Features' started by AlexVan123, Aug 5, 2016.