Magma

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Nutduster, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

[​IMG]
    (v 1.01)

is a competitive play map compatible with most game types, but specifically intended for slayer (free for all and team) and neutral flag/neutral assault games. It has an eye-catching aesthetic centerpiece and an unusual floor plan with careful structure and weapon placement to encourage players to play the entire map. It combines design elements from H3's Construct (multiple levels and lifts, high ground very useful); H3's The Pit (some similarity in the bases, especially with mounted turrets); H2's Midship (two-level bases with objectives spawning up top); and H3's Avalanche, a.k.a. CE's Sidewinder (horseshoe shape with a more direct - but also more dangerous - shortcut route between the bases). It is single axis symmetrical, like Construct.

It should play well and be almost lag-free in full screen mode over Live, despite nearly exhausting the Forgeworld budget. I have seen some frame rate issues in certain moments in split screen - please keep this in mind.

Layout and screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video preview:

YouTube - magma preview

Weapons and equipment list:

- 6 DMRs
    - 2 needle rifles
    - 2 plasma repeaters
    - 2 magnums
    - 2 assault rifles
    - 2 spikers
    - 1 plasma pistol
    - 1 plasma rifle
    - 1 sniper rifle
    - 1 rocket launcher
    - 1 sword
    - 1 shotgun
    - 1 spartan laser
    - various grenades
    - 2 jet pack pickups
    - 1 overshield
    - 2 health stations

Special thanks to:

Spartan G086, Requiem Fiasco, and ProtoFury for helping me test.

Version 1.01 uploaded and original replaced. Changes this version: rocket spawn changed from 120 to 180, and spare clips reduced to 1; overshield spawn increased from 90 to 120; a few bumps smoothed out and the color of one tunnel changed. Original had almost 600 downloads, which I'm very proud of - hope to see 600 more for this version!

#1 Nutduster, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. II6clique jxIxj

II6clique jxIxj Ancient

This is very impressive, I like it a lot. It is definitely one of the better maps from the community. The volcano was a nice touch. Did you use one way shield doors for that? It reminds me of Construct and that is a good thing. But you have to many powerweapons on this map. There is no need to fight over weapons due to this problem and that affects gameplay in a negective manner, I suggest that you tone that down, besides that its solid. Downloading now and hope to see more from you soon.

3. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Thanks for the reply. I did use one way shield doors for the volcano - that was basically where the idea for the whole thing came from, and the volcano was built before the map was (although I think both came out nicely :) ).

Regarding the power weapons, I don't think they're out of control. The map size is comparable to The Pit, which included a sword, TWO shotguns, two snipers (compared to sniper and laser here), and rockets. Similarly, Construct (another influence on the design and size of this map) had sniper, sword, laser, and missile pod (substitute rocket launcher, though not quite as effective). This being a non-vehicle map, the main purpose of the laser is to act as a counter-sniper measure; so I don't think the remaining four power weapons (the ones people will really care about) are out of control.

That said, I do recommend 4 vs. 4 as the ideal number of players. For something like 2 vs. 2, it's probably too much weaponry, and the map is also probably a bit big for that.

4. GameTime49

GameTime49 Forerunner

i think your volcano is positively outstanding. ive never seen anything like that done before

for the map itself is ok, there are alot places that dont have that much cover which will take away from the game
    the layout o the map is solid and with a few small tweaks it will definitely be a very fun map to play on

great job

5. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any suggestions about where cover might need to be added? Bear in mind that the ground floor between the bases is supposed to be somewhat of a death trap - that and the weapon placement is to encourage players to use the tunnels and ramps at the top of the map, similar to how you never wanted to stay on the floor for long in Epitaph or Construct, or run down the middle of the main alley in The Pit.

Although really the ground floor here is still less open than those examples - at least there are a few covie crates and the support strut under the main walkway to duck behind.

6. Vbdude

Vbdude Ancient

Props to you sir, that volcano looks awesome and very realistic. I also like how it "erupts" occasionally :D

As for the map, it well though out and just all around good. I suggest that you submit this for the Forgetacular contest because I really wanna play this in MM !

7. Buburay

Buburay Forerunner

This is the kind of thing i want to see everyone doing from now on! Make maps that have some kind of backgrounds to give it some more cool feeling, For instance, One of my maps is in the hanger, With the door shut obviasly, And falcons and what not on the other side :) Just put something in the background that'll be seen but doesn't play any part in the gameplay, It really makes the map pop more.

8. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Thanks Buburay, that was pretty much my feeling too. I am always trying to make maps that remind me of classic Halo maps made by Bungie, and one big difference between theirs and most forged maps is background aesthetics. Of course that makes perfect sense! But there are some ways, especially now with Forgeworld (it wasn't as possible on Sandbox and not at all possible really on Foundry), that you can do that.

9. Lamasutra

Lamasutra Forerunner

WoW, what a really nice background ! You got my DL. I would comment the level-design and gameplay had I played on it. I'll do it next time.

10. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Thank you, and thanks in advance if you do come back with gameplay or design comments. I always appreciate any comments on a map of course, but it's hard to get the kind of in-depth feedback I'd really like - how were the spawns, weapon placements, hot zones, etc., as well as any areas that drew too much or not enough attention from players. Every group plays differently too, so the results may vary a lot between my play tests and yours.

It also may go without saying - if anybody ever wants to do a customs group involving a map I made, I'd be happy to participate.

11. SDawg72

SDawg72 Forerunner

I really like the map. Don't think you ripped anyone off. This map is original and I liked the dripping lava from the volcano. Nice job!

12. H3AT

H3AT Forerunner

Very nice map! I am going to download and test it out! Thanks rated 4/5 stars!

13. Dart3rocks

Dart3rocks Forerunner

this map is great the astetics really 'pop' and the layout is superb, this map is definately be a great add to the list of maps I play with friends.

14. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Thanks for the feedback guys. This has definitely been my most popular map thus far and it's nice to see the work I put into it rewarded. If I can get a 4 vs 4 slayer game on it soon, this will be going into the forgetacular contest...

15. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I like the volcano. A few things stuck out to me though: You have only 2 health packs on the map, and the Spartan Laser is much too close to the Sword. The sword also might not be very useful on a map like this.

Maybe replace the SL with a Grenade Launcher and move it somewhere else?

16. CaptainSize

CaptainSize Forerunner

Nicely done man, gonna give this a dl tonight sometime.

17. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I prefer it that way - I like them to be a strategy item, since they are close to being a powerup. I haven't made a map yet that had more than two, and my last map only had one.

I agree that the laser and sword are close, but I don't have a lot of other locations for power weapons. All of them are along a single axis straight down the middle of the map - it's hard to space them out evenly without having one just sitting in the middle of open floor. However, I don't think it will be too much of an issue because I don't think most people would go for that combo, or rush the laser. It's mainly on there as a counter-snipe weapon and to easily take out turrets (which is why it's a laser and not a grenade launcher or concussion rifle), so I imagine it won't get picked up as much as the other power weapons.

For the usefulness of the sword, I think the spacing and openness of this map resembles The Pit, where the sword could be *quite* useful. Particularly it would be useful in the general area you find it (like the sword room on The Pit, but not quite as ridiculously easy to hold) and in the two bases, as well as around the grav lifts to the top ramps.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

Version 1.01 uploaded and original replaced. Changes this version: rocket spawn changed from 120 to 180, and spare clips reduced to 1; overshield spawn increased from 90 to 120; a few bumps smoothed out and the color of one tunnel changed. Original had almost 600 downloads, which I'm very proud of - hope to see 600 more for this version!

#17 Nutduster, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  18. wi1lywonka

wi1lywonka Ancient

Played some FFA on this, we were too busy looking at the volcano to actual give me enough insight to give feedback.

Funny story though. A friend and I made a map in which Killballs were lava, same location as yours, with tripmines to create an eruption. We stuck the map right next to the volcano without even thinking about how annoying it would be. Let's just say... never visiting that map again. Heheh.

19. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Heh heh. Well if you do play it again, I'd welcome any more thoughts on it! The games I've played so far have been pretty wild - as you might expect they tend to focus around the middle and top levels/walkways, with combat fanning out into the bases and ground floor at times. It played a little smaller than it is, but that's kind of enjoyable - sort of like how The Pit would focus on the rocket/camo hallways sometimes. I did notice that the gameplay was more natural and more intense once players got used to the volcano.

Yeah, I can only imagine. I thought about doing something like that on this map - basically having kill ball eruptions launched by explosions and maybe man cannons - and perhaps fortunately, I ran out of budget first. Ultimately for this map the volcano is purely aesthetic, which is probably for the best.

20. Antares777x

Antares777x Forerunner

Whoa a volcano?! That's a WIN.

I agree that the map contains to many power weapons. I'm not really sure why this map contains a Spartan Laser at all, because it overlaps with the Sniper Rifle. The Sword and Shotgun also overlap. In my honest opinion, pick one or the other, and if you really want another power weapon on the map, replace it with something like a Grenade Launcher or Concussion Rifle. But I wouldn't recommend that for this map. I'd recommend removing the Spartan Laser and the Sword or Shotgun, you're call.

The structure reminds me of Construct and has really nice flow, I love it, but the power weapons are overwhelming.