Magic The Gathering

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Actually cool, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Actually cool

Actually cool Ancient

Magic The Gathering

For all of you uneducated heathens, Magic: The Gathering is a TCG made and produced by wizards of the coast. The game revolves around using mana to summon creatures to do battle and playing powerful spells and artifacts.
    This thread is dedicated to the game Magic: The gathering and anything affiliated with it. Personally, I enjoy this game with friends, and I have been playing on and off for a long time now. So, let's discus a fantastic card game!

I currently have the Lorwen Boggart Deck and Esper Air Deck as my main decks, however I have lots of cards from other decks as well. I usually just mix and match as I go. My favorite stragety is to use decks with plenty of flying and cards that allow me to regenerate my armies after they die.

2. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

I've been playing card games for a while, so I decided to rock up to the M10 pre-release last week. My first MTG game was in a regional tournament, and I came second. My friend dragged me along and I was a little hazy on the rules, but Magic is fairly similar to Vs System, so I wasn't too bad off.

Anyone here have the MTG arcade game?

(Sidenote: If card "A" triggers when card "B" is put into play, and an effect brings them both into play at the same time, will card "A" trigger?

Essentially, when an effect brings multiple cards into play, do you choose the order?)

3. Actually cool

Actually cool Ancient

That's a good question, I assume that the effects count as activating at the same time. Something similar happened to me in a game yesterday.

I would get the MTG arcade game, but I don't like the fact that you can't make your own decks.

EDIT: I think the card that brings both cards out would technically count as triggering first. However, if they have mana costs for their effects you could choose to pay off one effect first; effectively allowing you to choose which get's used first.

#3 Actually cool, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. FUFHA

FUFHA Ancient

i personally love black and white decks. not many things can protect against black, and white heals me for the amount of life i loose and more because most of my good blacks make me loose life.

and if that deck looses i move onto my ultimate sliver deck of awesomeness that never looses.

YAY

5. Chronic Fate

Chronic Fate Ancient

I used to have a ton of these cards but I was never patient enough to actually learn to play them. I believe I got them from a relative...

Sounds fun though, I may have to look into the game some more!

6. Actually cool

Actually cool Ancient

It's a great TCG because it alowes you to create and endless amount of stratiges and there are more cards for it than it's ever possible to collect. I also find it's a very social game. Iv'e met all kinds of people through magic and it's easy to start a conversasion with people you normally woulndt talk to.

Wow, I sound anti-social...

... :(

7. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

O.K I may as well tell you the combo to make sure it works:

Say I have 4 Sanguine Bonds and 4 Filigree Angels in my graveyard. I play Open the Vaults so all of them come into play. Will the Filigree Angels effect the other Filigree Angels that came into play, and, will Sanguine Bond activate due to the life gain. If the combo works it does 256 damage and I gain 64 life.

#7 Transhuman Plus, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  8. Actually cool

Actually cool Ancient

Duplicate cards effects do not stack, so no, that shouldn't work.

However, my friend once found a legal way to get an endless amount of 1/1 counters.

9. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

I havn't played this in so long. I stopped playing right after the ravnica block. I started around like I can't remember the names but around 6th edition.

Theres an elf combo that allows you to do that. Is that the one your talking about?

#9 DimmestBread, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  10. Actually cool

Actually cool Ancient

Could be, it was like 3 years ago. I remember it used green cards.

BTW It was a ravenica deck.

11. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

haha, i cant spell. I kinda wished I played still but oh well. Do you play standard or extended. or both.

12. SMGstrings

SMGstrings Forerunner

I think its about time to revive this thread.

I'm currently playing the Quest for the Holy Relic WW deck that has become popular over the last month or so. Mine is a bit different than the norm as few people run Squadron Hawks, but I like it.

Holy Relic WW (Standard MTG Deck)

13. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

Ive seen lots of people on my friends list playing this, and Im interested. Is it worth 1200 msp? Is it good?

14. SMGstrings

SMGstrings Forerunner

The arcade game is not really as deep and enjoyable as the actual card game, but it is a good solid starter for people interested in Magic. It doesn't have very much in the way of deck customization, but it teaches players the basic rules of the game and I hope it has gotten many gamers into the game outside of Xbox.

Worth 1200 points for someone who doesn't play the actual game? Yes.
    Worth it to old school magic players? No.