Machu Picchu v3

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by LIGHTSOUT225, Mar 26, 2008.

1. LIGHTSOUT225

Map Name: Machu Picchuv3 (pronounced ma-chew peek-chew)
    Download link: Machu Picchu v3
    Influence:
    The ancient Incan civilization of Machu Picchu in Peru. Here’s a photo of it

[​IMG]

VERSION 2 CHANGES:
    -Adjusted respawn times of the turret and sentinel beam
    -Flipped spawns of a BR and a Carbine on the Temple face to influence more movement and an even quicker pace.
    -Patched a hole in a corner of the map that allowed access outside the map (most didn't even realize it was there to begin with)
    -Added a bit more geometry to the Attack base.
    -Added a few more spawn points
    -Gift from the Gods: The regenerator located at the Idol is no longer held by a weapon holder, and free-falls from the Idol to the grounds (once a minute)
    -Moved the Beam Rifle to a more accessible location (I found it wasn't really being used too much because people forgot it was there).

VERSION 3 CHANGES:
    -Added an extra starting spawn point for both teams
    -Moved some Defensive starting points to the outer face of the temple, as opposed to all 5 being inside
    -Moved Attacking starting points and flag return & spawn points up the stairs to the back of the wall of the Attack base
    -Moved Beam Rifle (again) to an even more noticeable/accessible location
    -Moved Flare to where the Beam Rifle was: on top of the tele box next to the flag spawn. the flare was never really used at all because it was a bit hidden before, but works wonders combined with the Beam Rifle from the top of the temple.
    -Moved a Defensive flag away respawn area to the outer-left side of the temple

# Players: 6-8 (10 can work for Team slayer, but not really any of the others)
    Suggested Gametypes: 1 Flag, 1 Bomb, Team Slayer

Description: An asymmetrical map designed primarily with one-sided objective games in mind. The trademark feature of Machu Picchu is the large Idol located in the center of the courtyard (detailed in the screenshots).
    The large Defensive base has 5 entrances, and 4 exits. It is modeled after an Incan temple and scales 4 stories. Most maps with 4 stories aren’t effective due to the lack of the ability to jump cleanly on the top level. However, since the entire temple structure is interlocked, you can jump perfectly from any level. I’ve used walls and wall corners interlocked about 90% into the box fronts at angles creating stairs to the upper levels. I did this to save space on the walkways, and it works surprisingly well, and give you the feeling of actually climbing the temple. The wall ledges leading up from the ground level to level 2 you have to jump onto, as they are raised a bit off the ground. But all ledges on the upper levels flow smoothly from level to level. The Defensive base has 3 sets of teleporters, explained in the screenshots below. Inside the temple, the shape (lengthy and narrow) offers an exciting combination of close and mid-range battles.
    The Attacking base is smaller, and a bit more basic. It features a turret which comes in very handy when the battle has shifted into the courtyard, and is a good support weapon against players in the distance on the temple. The Attacking base has one teleporter connection that leads towards the temple, by the stairs.
    Each base also features a Custom Power-up and a pair of Firebombs. All respawn every 2 minutes, and with the custom game variants I have created, they offer the possessor temporary powers of the Incan Gods. They are a force to be reckoned with, and can potentially change the course of the game. Power-up detailed below.
    Machu Picchu works best with One-Flag. Getting the flag out of the temple is only a small challenge compared to making it across the courtyard alive. Lengthy, back-and-forth battles tend to take place here later in the rounds.

Gametypes:
    Incan Capture (1-Flag)
    Incan Ignite (1-Bomb)
    Team Inca (TS)

Weapons:
    Battle Rifle: 5, 30s
    Assault Rifle: 4, 30s
    Sniper Rifle: 1, 120s, 2 extra clips
    SMG: 2, 30s
    Plasma Rifle: 2, 30s
    Needler: 1, 45s
    Brute Shot: 1, 30s
    Covenant Carbine: 5, 30s
    Mauler: 1, 60s, 0 extra clips
    Beam Rifle: 1, 120s
    Sentinel Beam: 1, 90s
    Machine Gun Turret: 1, 120s

Equipment:
    Attack-side
    Radar Jammer: 60s
    Deployable Cover: 30s
    Defensive-side
    Flare: 60s
    Neutral (located at the Idol)
    Regenerator: 60s

Notes: Objective games have 2 (updated) minute rounds, with a 30 second sudden death.
    Custom Power-up: 110% speed, 75% gravity (helps you scale the temple much quicker), 110% damage resistance, overshield, 125% damage modifier, and unlimited ammo for 10 seconds. Remember, Incan God.

Testimonial from a true fan:
    WTFBBQ?!?! LOL

Here is an overhead model of what the Real Machu Picchu looks like
    [​IMG]

I loosely based the Defensive temple off of this. Obviously, due to space and resource constraints, I had to scale down considerably, both in height and complexity. The right side of the diagram I turned downward 90 degrees to make the Elbow. The major indentions in the terraces (where the diagram is skinnier close to the middle and the left side, is where i added the main entrances, and the Custom Power-Up drop box (at the crane) coincidentally looks a bit like the box cutout at the top left-center of the diagram

Map Layout Screenshots:

Back side of the Temple (you can climb up through a series of jumps)
    [​IMG]

Left side of the Temple. You can see the Sentinel Beam there by the fence wall, and a 2-way teleporter on the 4th level leading to the opposite side you will see in a moment
    [​IMG]

Front left shot of the Temple. The 2-way teleporter seen here leads into the base (you’ll see that in a minute). Also seen here is the Defense’s Power-up.
    [​IMG]

Front right side of the Temple
    [​IMG]

The opposite side of the Temple (the top left teleporter). Also on the 4th level.
    [​IMG]

Right side of the Temple and the Elbow
    [​IMG]

Elbow and back staris (the sender node in the Attack base leads to this receiver node) [​IMG]

From above the Elbow to the right side of the Temple
    [​IMG]

Inside the Defensive Temple, from right side to left.
    [​IMG]

From left to right side. The 2-way teleporter on the left connects to the 2-way seen in the previous screenshot of the front of the temple, near the Power-up.
    [​IMG]

More angled view from roughly the same spot. The sender node in the distance connects to the receiver node above and to the right, leading outside the Temple.
    [​IMG]

High above the flag spawn and 2-way tele resides the Beam Rifle, attainable by shooting the fusion coil (coil on instant respawn)
    [​IMG]

Shields down? Losing terribly? Pray to the Incan Gods at the Idol (located in the center of the courtyard), and they will grant you life, sometimes. Regenerator on 60s respawn, and spawns above your head if standing directly under the Idol.
    [​IMG]

Attacking base from above the Sentinel Beam spawn.
    [​IMG]

Attacking base from above the elbow
    [​IMG]

Inside the Attack base. Sender node leads to the Elbow.
    [​IMG]

Action shots:

[​IMG]
    Courtyard action

[​IMG]
    Base action

Forger’s Note: This one took me almost 2 full weeks to produce, probably close to 20 hours of work. I hope you enjoy it, and I strongly recommend downloading at least Incan Capture, as it is the map’s trademark gametype, and the power-ups don’t have too much of a point with just the speed boost. As always, constructive criticism is always appreciated, as all feedback helps greatly.

#1 LIGHTSOUT225, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. darkmuse19

darkmuse19 Ancient

Re: Machu Picchu

very nice use of interlocking and that temple looks awfully good. may i ask how long it took to create this map?

3. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

looks incredible... two weeks... thts insane, id lose interest and quit if it took me tht long lol.... definitely a DL... lightsout delivers :]

4. LIGHTSOUT225

Darkmuse, if you read the post, you will know.

zstrike, Thanks homie, yeh it was challenging... there were a couple items i had to save/quit close to 30 times a piece to get em just right, nice and smooth. plus merging with map geometry is difficult, and doesnt want to work sometimes.

I just realized i forgot to give info on the weapon/equipment selection... updating original post in a couple minutes

5. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

I looked at your party details and saw you were workign on it. I had no idea what it was. This is great, it is a breath of fresh air, a new and completely orginal forge idea. I have it qued, great job.

6. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

yea, ik wat u mean... save/quit technique wrks but is so frustrating, especially wen u mess up and have to redo it

7. XxTexasHornxX

XxTexasHornxX Ancient

This looks really interesting. Did you include a weapon/equipment list? I don't think I saw one. The description and screenshots really confused me on the layout, but I bet it is better in game. I will queue it once I get the rest of my queues downloaded. I am really intrigued by the 4 stories that are so close together in height, which should make for some interesting jumping.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see your post on updating the weapon list when I typed this out.

8. LIGHTSOUT225

yeh the entire 3rd level of the temple i have to save quit... making it smooth was by far the hardest thing i had to do. took forever.

Tx, read 3 posts up.

9. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

Wow this looks stunning. I love all of your maps but this one looks great. I love how you merged the objects into the geometry and interlocked so cleanly. The idol is great in the middle and adds a very nice touch aesthetically.

When I first saw this I was like "Dude we could so play some American Gladiators on this". If you know what event I am talking about.

10. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I loved playing this with you today. I think I see myself in one of the shots, woohoo. Anyways, not many maps use teleporters correctly, but you manage to do it wonderfully. I'll be keeping this map on my hard drive.

11. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

Presenting LIGHTSOUT225's next project, the great Aztec temple. Seriously, you make a friggin incan temple, you strange smart creative man, I envy/pity you.

12. Maxwell360

Maxwell360 Ancient

I'm just not seeing much of a ruin here, but I guess thats not your fault because of the limited options in foundry.

I CAN say that the map plays out well, I like how the walls (interlocked with the boxes) are sticking out slightly and can be used as little ramps. It adds a nice feel to it.

13. me_eb

me_eb Ancient

Very Nice...How Much? I truely love the fact that it is asymmetrical and still looks fairly balanced.

14. LIGHTSOUT225

Draw bro i had the NASTIEST no-scope header on you in the opening round of the CTF game. Pretty good distance too, right to your noggin. And to be honest, End of the Line was one of the reasons i wanted to go asymmetrical this time... I love that map. It, too, will always be on my hard drive.

Thanks for nothing alot man! Yeh i felt Aztec had been done before, plus I've always been fascinated by their culture.

I didn't say i made ruins, i said the map was influenced by the ruins of Machu Picchu (one of the lesser known wonders of the world)

Haha thanks. I worked hard to keep it balanced, toying with respawn times as well as weapon placement... it works well. And yeh, I love asymmetrical maps, this is really my first really successful one i feel.

15. Maxwell360

Maxwell360 Ancient

Oh, my bad...

16. Running Chron

Running Chron Ancient

love the map! I help beta test it, and it is certainly worth downloading. I never knew you had this much talent lightsout...

17. GoodWhaleSushi

GoodWhaleSushi Ancient

Yay it's out!!! *downloading*

18. whitelime

whitelime Ancient

this map looks awesome glad that you have made a very original map looks like so much of a pain in the butt to do all the interlocking but it looks like it has turned out realy well i also like the fact that you used the back part of the map which doesn't seem to get used much. the middle structure looks great too never thought of using stairs that way suppose thats why you make all the great maps. once i get my Xbox back ill be shure to download (RRoD)

19. JASONYO

JASONYO Ancient

i like the way u used those corner walls to make a way up the levels. clever

20. the whyher

the whyher Ancient

Really like your the second photo, the real photo sets up the map well. My favorite part has to be the right side and elbow, I also like the game play in the back of it... and I also love those armor perms... good job killer