Louhipalo Raceway

Discussion in 'Reach Race Maps' started by so PRANX, Nov 29, 2011.

1. so PRANX

so PRANX Forerunner

Welcome to the Louhipalo Raceway.

As the description suggests, the Louhipalo Racetrack is a rugged adventure through a twisted pair of tracks featuring shortcuts, varied terrain and dangerous curves. Players begin each race in the shallow water in front of both the green tunnel (1st path, to the right), and the red raceway (2nd path, to the left).

As the map was loosely designed around the paths of two interlocking dragons, the name was eventually found. Louhi-, meaning rugged and -palo meaning fire (l. Finnish), fit both the flow of the design and the aggravating feel of the map (when looking to join the 1:30 club).

The map has been painstakingly smoothed down to allow a "perfect" run ... but such a run is so hard to achieve. It's easy to explain why, but I'll let the pictures do the talking....

[​IMG]

Louhipalo Raceway Part #1 - Green Tunnel

[​IMG]Louhipalo Raceway Part #2 - First Shortcut Area

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #3 - 2nd Shortcut Area

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #3 - And what happens when you don't slow down....

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #4 - Elbow (Scarier than it looks)

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #5 - The Launch into the Water

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #5 - And what happens when you don't slow down....

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #6 - Red Courtyard

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #7 - The U-Turn

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #8 - The Sky Launch

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway Part #9 - The "Make-Up Artist"

[​IMG]
    Louhipalo Raceway End Path - Coasting in for the Dub

Suggested Settings
    -- Always Use With Race
    -- Always Use with Mongeese
    -- Works Best with 5 or 10 Laps
    -- Works Best with Player Movement Restricted
    -- Time Limit should allow 2 minutes per lap (i.e., 20 minutes for 10 laps).

Last, but not least, we have the:

1:30 Club
    The 1:30 Club is for everyone who is able to post a lap time of 1 minutes, 30 seconds or better during any lap of any race.

Currently, only 2 players have proven they belong.

1:30 - Syniister, done on Monday, 11/28/2011
    1:29 - so PRANX, done on Saturday, 12/3/2011

and our current record holder:

1:26 - TheElfPunk, done on Tuesday, 12/5/2011

Reply with the film if you think you've got it and I'll add you to the list. We're currently debating offering a prize for times of 1:20 or better, although I think it's almost impossible. The track isn't too difficult to drive, but very difficult to perfect. Brief History - the record was 1:36 during almost all of testing, and was reduced to 1:34 when the final track smoothing was performed. Both Syniister and TheElfPunk joined the club the night before the map's "official" release, and accomplished the feat within a few hours of one another. Remember that sometimes you can save time by slowing down, and that the quickest path requires momentum in very important areas.

- so PRANX
    Check out my other map:
    Double_Troublev4
    Double Trouble is a 2player puzzle map which emphasizes logic and precision.
    Click the link to learn more and download!

#1 so PRANX, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. Zam138

Zam138 Promethean

Heh... Mongeese... But anyway, it's a decently made map. Nice job.

3. so PRANX

so PRANX Forerunner

Thank you sir.

Any constructive criticism or areas that need worked on a little ? (weren't smooth or something, for example)

4. thefightdude

thefightdude Forerunner

just based by pictures i would say part #6 red courtyard looks a little bumpy but i know you put those stunt ramps there to smooth out that area. Overall I like the layout and theme of this map. good work.

5. AquarianPhoenix

AquarianPhoenix Forerunner

Just a heads up, in the description you put " varied train" but I think you meant "varied terrain." On another note, if I was into the racing aspect of Reach, I would definitely download it and try it.

However, since I am not, I will tell you that from the photos, it actually does look like a lot fun. I like the jumps and rocky areas. It definitely looks interactive in the sense that you may have to actually pay attention on some parts and not just hold the stick forward and use your free hand to drink your sweet tea. Good job.

Is there any FRL in the areas with the kill balls, lifts or lights?

6. so PRANX

so PRANX Forerunner

thank you sir

what does FRL mean and I will answer you lol