Longshot

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by Yellow Sausage, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Yellow Sausage

Yellow Sausage Promethean

So, this could be my entry for the Flag contest. Problem is, I don't know what player count suits it best, 4v4? 8v8? Still I think I put the map together very well with the cliff. The inspiration comes from Port Authority, Cargo Port, Embarcadero and Oakly HiDef's fantastic tutorials. You'll probably notice it in the map. Still, I give you pictures now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So fellow forgers, that is it. Thanks for looking and don't forget to give much needed feedback below. Thanks!

2. jackhigginz

jackhigginz Forerunner

Hmmm...this looks really cool. Oh, where did the name come from?

3. Yellow Sausage

Well the map is a longshot really, or a risk. You know "that's a longshot" that's a risk.

It has nothing to do with snipers or DMRs.

4. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

I don't understand? What are all those Wall Coliseums in the back of the first picture doing? Are they just aesthetic pieces? I can't see any pictures from there. Or maybe there are pictures from there - not sure because there are no labels. Add them, if you would.

Apart from that, I must say the shield door on the bridge pieces looks ugly to me.

Also, the map looks far too open - there's not enough cover for the flag capper. In addition, I only see 1 route through the map (barring small deviations). I'm assuming that the grass is blocked off - there are placed rocks blocking the route to the grass in the fourth picture. Speaking of which, do you have any more budget to fix up those rocks? They look kinda obvious to me. (Seastack, Arch, Spire - from top to bottom)

EDIT: Is the shape of a map a U? I think I'm getting it now....

#4 theSpinCycle, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. Yellow Sausage

There are pictures but you just need to let em' load. The grass is acsessable. That map isn't that open, apart from the grass area. That was done on purpose because I didn't want campers there and they could shoot, shoot and then just go behind cover. The shape is like a bad U with grass inbweteen. Oh and the sheild door is there because every time you went down the hill in a vehicle you would hit the crate so I made it that you just bounce off it.

6. Skyward Shoe

Skyward Shoe BTB Legend
    Forge Critic Senior Member

First off, I don't see how this was supposed to take inspiration from any of those maps, as this has no height variation and is entirely linear besides the grass. In fact I really see no influence from any of them here besides ******nt use of coliseum walls.

Furthermore, it seems your map has only 1 real, covered path from base to base. This means that players have two choices: 1- Rush across the grass over and over until their team gains control of it or, 2- Push down the 1 lane road of the U and battle in the middle for the entire game.

I'm sorry to say that this map completely ignores one of the most basic idea of a competitive map – player choice. In the end all games on here will likely boil down to both teams rushing the grass once they realize how impossible it will be to push the base from the U with the teams trying to spawn back at base. What you have here is essentially a BTB Conquest map, or a giant canyon where players file own it to their death, with little chance of actually reaching their goal.

I understand you were trying to take a risk with this map, but throwing all normal competitive features out the window is not the way to do it. You can take risks with your maps once you understand the basics, which from past experience I'm not quite sure you do.

(and on an off topic note to moderators, why is the word f-l-i-p-p-a-n-t being starred out?)

#6 Skyward Shoe, Aug 9, 2012
  7. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul
    Forge Critic Senior Member

There were two problems that immediatly caught my attention. First, the map lacks various viable routes which is a necessity when concerning objective maps. Like Shoe stated, there are currently only two. Second, the map lacks structure. I know I sound like a broken record when I tell you this, but random objects scattered around to block LoS doesn't make the cut. If you take a close look at any of the three maps you took inspiration from you will notice that they used very little, if any random cover.

On the bright side, I disagree with Shoe in that, although it's not much, there seems to be height variation and the location you created it in is pretty interesting.

#7 Auburn, Aug 9, 2012
  8. Yellow Sausage

Wow thanks for the feedback guys. I guess you won't see much if not any inspiration from the maps above but at the start I had hoped that I would be using some stuff from the maps, it just didn't turn out that way. I guess the "red road" has some similarities to Port Authority. Aswell at the start I thought one base on the grass area and one base in the middle where the Spartan Laser. But after making the "red road" I thought otherwise. Would it be better that way?