2-4 Players Limitless

Discussion in 'Halo 4 Archive' started by THE SLAMMERSS, Aug 5, 2013.

1. THE SLAMMERSS

THE SLAMMERSS Creative Force
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

Limitless
    Made by: THE SLAMMERSS

Limitless is a small 2v2 to 4v4 symmetrical CQC arena. Limitless was originally built on Impact but due to frame rate issue was rebuilt on forge island and fine tuned. Limitless was designed to feel like the player is on top of the world, which they basically are as the map was built near the top of forge island.

Link to map: File Share Halo Official Site

Video: Courtesy of Sir Zandril! Thanks Zan!
    Halo 4 Forge Map Feature #5 - Limitless - YouTube

Video 2: Courtesy of TheRagingBrutes! Koth gameplay
    Halo 4 Saturday Map Features #12 - Limitless - YouTube

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ACID REFLEX

ACID REFLEX Promethean

Hey man I see you took my advice lol
    Everyone should check this out this is a great map!

3. THE SLAMMERSS

"Someone, anyone, Please respond" lol but actually I really would appreciate any feedback :) always looking for improvement so please comment on anything :)

4. Maximus IL

Maximus IL TCOJ

Worry not about the feedback. Sometimes it takes awhile. People have to find time to download it, get a group together, play on it . . . all of which may take several days. I've only posted one map so far here, and it got no replies for over a week, but now has like 16 or so. Patience is your friend. :)

If you want to make sure you get feedback, maybe try signing up for the TCOJ lobby.

5. THE SLAMMERSS

(sigh) so should i assume this post is dead? sorry to rehash a dead post if this is dead. :/

6. Maximus IL

Maximus IL TCOJ

It doesn't need to be dead. Seriously . . . if you can give TCOJ a whirl, it will be less dead. It's hard for people to test a map well enough to give feedback without getting a group together. Just looking in Forge or at screenshots doesn't tell you how it will play. Most people don't have the time to get lobbies together for every map thread . . . remember, we're all just players, too. So they rely on having forgers participate in pre-existing lobbies that already work for their schedules. So I would really recommend signing up for TCOJ. You'll get some direct verbal feedback during play, and most times written feedback in the thread.

I know it feels like it would be better if, when you post a map, there were some unnamed group of individuals who were foaming at the mouth to bust out a custom lobby, play it to death, and give you awesome feedback . . . but the truth is that such things don't exist. Besides, if you do TCOJ a few times and folks learn who you are, then they will be more likely to leave feedback in the future.

7. Maximus IL

Maximus IL TCOJ

Just as an FYI, I have downloaded your map. I will take a look in Forge and give you some feedback - promise.

Take my feedback with a grain of salt, though . . . I am no expert forger by any stretch of the imagination!

8. Maximus IL

Maximus IL TCOJ

Okies . . . as promised, I took a look at this in Forge. Comments:

1. The map seems well-forged for the most part. You took a lot of care in making sure things line up to prevent bumps and ugly interfaces. That was very nice. There was one exception to this: the tunnel underneath the map has some messy object interfaces in the overhead (where you rotated the blocks to make your lengths of decorative green illumination). Given how clean the rest of the map looks, this was definitely noticeable.

2. Not sure I like the cyan or how much orange dominates, but that's totally trivial and entirely personal preference.

3. On a good note, some clever piece usage - the extraction objects down in the tunnel were an especially nice touch.

4. Big issue: Map is totally breakable. Starting from the 1x1 talls in either of the 2 center structures, you can jump onto the decorative platforms on the edge of the map (the platforms you put the soft kill zones on). You can also thrust-jump onto them from the Y-cross LOS blockers at the base exits. That one's a bit tricky, but doable. Either way, you can then just walk off the edge of the map and land on the protruding stunt ramps. You're no longer in any kill zone, and you can jump up, shoot, fall back down all day long. No one can get you.

My recommendation would be to rework both of those areas entirely. As it stands right now, those platforms look like a place you should be able to jump to and use as play space. That means people will do it. The soft kill zone won't stop them, and a hard kill would be really annoying - since given the design, people would assume that space is meant to be used. So you could either make it so it is entirely non-jumpable, or figure out how to make the space usable without allowing people to get off the map.

I'm not sure the soft kill zones around the borders of the map accomplish anything. You can run on the top of the wall for a good distance before the zone gets you, and all a jetpacker has to do is simply fall off the outside edge periodically to reset the timer. You literally could play a whole game from up there. And if there are other protruding objects on the outside of the wall besides the aforementioned stunt ramps, then you might not even need jetpack to do it.

I can't comment on how it plays, and I won't try to imagine how it might play just from walking around in Forge.

#8 Maximus IL, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  9. THE SLAMMERSS

Thank you Maximus Il, wow fantastic :) these points have never been brought to my attention. So when you mean the decorative pieces in green are you referring to the 1x1 tall and thins? I only added them to the ceiling to try and hide the ceiling as it is a bit too chaotic and messy to look at. I choose cyan and orange because they are my favorite colors and I have been using red and blue so often I wanted to mix things up. Do you feel that using these colors might distract the player? Thank you, my biggest pet-peeve in some of my maps is it feels like a box with a skybox around it it doesn't really engage with the environment. I wanted this map to feel as if this were the top floor to a tall skyscraper. I felt that adding security clearance doors don't distract from the rest of the map during game play but still let's the player know how they might have gotten here. As for the big issue, I'm surprised the hard safe zone didn't kill you. But this brings up a good point none the less. I will rework all of these things ASAP. Thanks again for taking the time to look at this :)

10. Maximus IL

Maximus IL TCOJ

Yeah, the tall thins in the overhead. The rest looked fine - and I liked the security clearance doors. You did a good job with the extraction pieces there. It is immediately obvious what they are supposed to be, so you accomplished your goal precisely.

On the hard kill zone, as I was doing this in Forge, it might be that the hard kill would get you in-game (but I am not sure). If it does get you, then the problem that remains is that those platforms look to be play areas but are not, and jetpackers can still walk on the top of the boundary walls. They have to fall inside rather than out, but could still play the whole game from up there. Clever use of jump-thrust would work for that as well (so it's not just jetpackers that you have to worry about).

For the colors - don't worry about them. If you like them, use them. My personal preferences are for limited use of the blue, red, green, and gold. I don't like the 4 pastels as much. But that is entirely personal opinion, and I might not really even notice during a game. If no one else minds them, then you shouldn't, either.

11. THE SLAMMERSS

Ok Maximus I have made some of these changes to the map. I forgot why i had the 1x1 tall&thins in the ceiling of green, but as i was cleaning down there i realized i had blocks up top punching through the ceiling so green room's ceiling has had a major restoration. talking with some people i realized shotgun was to OP for the map as i cant control ammo clip sizes and i cant put a regular shotgun as no one will figure out were it will be. so new power weapon is rail-gun. very fun and fair, clip size is small and still is an ordinance drop. another note, apparently i placed the over-shield OD at the same x and y cords as the rail-gun OD, or close to it, and some games the ODs switch. i find this to really be a fascinating aspect to the map now as knowledge of the map prior to playing is virtually useless as railgun is switched from top to bottom randomly. this added new game-play elements when at start instead of rushing top people rushed green.

side question. i have received several suggestions to make more access to green. this is very challenging as i dont have a lot of options for new hallways, as well as piece count. :/ what is your opinion? let me know
    ps map has not been re-uploaded to FS will be in the next few hours

12. Zandril

Zandril Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

As I remember, Green has two main entrances. For the most part, it actually played pretty well. But it wouldn't hurt to add another entrance to get that magic number for amount of entrances.

Unfortunately, as I remember it, it would be quite difficult to add a third entrance without a redesign of the map. You could try a drop down from the upper level of the map. I don't know where you could put this but maybe you'll find a way.

As I look at the screenshots again, I don't think the struts are necessary. I'm talking about those at the third picture. Try removing them and then see how the map plays.

#12 Zandril, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  13. s0uldier

s0uldier Promethean

whereabouts does the NZT spawn?

14. THE SLAMMERSS

Zan the only place for a drop down that would work would be the center which would eliminate the over-shield spawn. :/ and i have not uploaded new pics but with the revamping of the top of the drop-down areas, i moved the struts closer together and away from the ramp for more movement room. and s0uldier i dont understand what you mean by NZT. sorry :/

15. s0uldier

s0uldier Promethean

I figured you would have seen the movie 'limitless' haha

16. THE SLAMMERSS

Ah i see now lol movie reference no sorry lol