Left 4 Dead: The Desert

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Casual Maps' started by P1MPxSLaSH, Jun 22, 2010.

1. P1MPxSLaSH

P1MPxSLaSH Forerunner

The Desert

You may know me from my **** Zombie remakes, but among **** Zombies, there lies another great famous zombie game that would suit halo: Left 4 Dead! So here lies the missing chapter in the Left4Dead series: The Desert!

STORY
    [​IMG]
    The last gang of survivors find themselves traveling in the desert with the handy vehicle known as the Behemoth or Elephant. The great mass comes to a halt and the survivors are forced to stop and make camp. They come across a warthog that needs fixing and a few guns left behind by other doomed souls. They supply the main non-function Elephant and attempt to head off for C.E.D.A's last evac across the desert. That's where you take over

Now before you start thinking of ways to cheat across the desert, here are some things that should maximize the fun factor and keep lame cheating from taking over.

1) using the Elephant is cheating. You are supposed to go on foot, not take your base.
    2) using the Elephant turret is discouraged. There's a gravlift keeping you from getting to it but there are ways to get around it but dont try it, its not really fair for the zombies you know
    3) Dont spawn-kill the zombies. They spawn in the rock structure so dont try to spawn-kill them... thats so lame guys.

THE MAP
    The map is made just like a L4D map would be layed out and there are some ammo and supply areas to help you out. Search the Elephant for pistols and SMGs and whatnot. There is also a spiker and assault rifle there also, so search carefully; there are no colored-outlines to help you out so look as if your life's on it (it is in the game world). You can also find different grenades laying around so look for those cuz you dont start with any! The weapons you find at the start have different clip sizes so play testing revealed that you may be hearing some of your comrades to exclaim "I'm running low on ammo" even when your well supplied. Makes stops for your friends or you're all screwed.

You can go two ways or split into to teams of 2 and go separate ways. this isnt recommended seeing as though it barely ever worked in play-testing

[​IMG]
    1) going RIGHT out of the base takes you to the area with the turret. The only way to use it is to melee it off the tripod so take it with you and have someone watch your back. or the turret guy wont be of much use as an undead. (this screenshot was before this map's update. There is only one turret now)

[​IMG]
    2) if you choose LEFT out of your base, you'll come across an area with shotguns. Like before, they all have different clip sizes so prevent the guy who picks up the first shotgun and runs over the other ones picking up the ammo from doing this.

[​IMG]
    3) after each right or left path, you can meet in the MIDDLE and find all those power weapons for the rambo guys. Missle pods, lasers, and rocket launchers await but are on low supply. Its recommended only having one power-house shooter.

[​IMG]
    4) You're almost there. Up on the ledge are some BRs for the guys on low ammo as well as give ammo to the ones still with magnums. Some 'nades are also there to give a helping hand to everyone.

MORE SCREENSHOTS ALREADY!
    [​IMG]
    the starting area. You find most things on the Elephant

[​IMG]
    The broken wathog. The gametype doesnt allow for driving so dont think about driving it. Its a long journey awaiting. better sattle up for a bumpy ride.

[​IMG]
    right after you start there is a sniper. Its low on ammo, but it keeps the undead away long enough to get to a safer area like the turrets or shottys.

[​IMG]
    good 'ol zombie spawn. This area has been modified having setinal beams(smoker), firebombs(spitter), flares(boomer), custom powerups(hunter), and the handy oversheild-grav ham combo(tank... yea B1TCH3S!!!)

[​IMG]
    the destination! C.E.D.A's evac plane crashed leaving you with no hope for survival!- Psyche! Theres tonnnns of supplies stocked up in that other elephant thats sure to guarentee a win upon the surviver's arrival

[​IMG]
    the stockpile! YES! look at all those goodies! (the oversheild doesnt do anything for the survivers cuz they dont have shields in the gametype sorryyyyy)

[​IMG]
    The Journey. You will have to cover all this ground on foot with only 4 friens to help you with zombies coming at you with unique powers and speed! Yeah goodluck

The Desert Map

Left 4 Dead Gametype

2. Jrcane4455

Jrcane4455 Forerunner

Sorry maybe I missed something but L4D has safe rooms not vehicles loaded with equipment and random weapons? Also the spawn idea would be terrible because you could take as many weapons/ equipment/ grenades as you wanted to. Also sandtrap in general wouldn't be a map that would generate any L4D dead style gameplay there are just simply too many open spaces.

3. Devil95

Devil95 Ancient

Okay, This isn't any good at all. If you can't drive elephants,Turn off that setting. If you can spawn kill, Fix it. With the factor that you gave us the location. Left 4 Dead has been done 20 times and This doesn't follow L4D style. L4D is based of a Linear Line through some kind of environment. However, there are rare enterances and exits that change each time you play. This is just Fallout style map. Go anywhere you want. Im sorry but this is quite rubish. 2/10

4. xzBLUE HAZEzx

xzBLUE HAZEzx Forerunner

Try putting all your effort into a different map like foundry or sandbox. Sandtrap is too big for a L4D type game. Also just a tip, I wouldn't say that your basing your map off of L4D because you always get those people who complain about how many times that ideas been used. I only care for the map quality, and gameplay quality. Also I like the Idea of making up your own l4d story. You did a good job on trying something new on a map like sandbox, but if you still want to improve this map I would fix all the honor rules, make the infected spawns better and maybe start the humans off with low ammo and then leave trails of weapons in the direction you want them to travel because that will give them some reason to go that way. You tried so thumbs up for that. Also you might be able to still use the desert theme if you try this on sandbox maybe if you use a guardian blocked variant you could go out in the dunes.
    ---
    I wouldnt be so harsh considering the way your maps look. I checked the ones out in your signature The only forging techinique I saw was: Save.Quit. To make the items float on your bumper cars map. So be less harsh and try to be helpful with your comments. Dont just say how bad a map is. (Im not trying to insult you I just didn't like your comment!)

5. RageQuit

RageQuit Forerunner

Just through weapons into a pile..
    I think Blue Haze and devil said what has to be said..
    Sandbox or Foundry has more control of what you want in your map because of the more objects you could direct what you want.. If you had control of the placement of the elephants Im sure this would have been more strategic..

6. allbroken2U

allbroken2U Ancient

I'm not going to lie. YOU DID THE BEST YOU COULD DO. Though others just plan hit you down I find awesomeness in this map. Though yea a Wide open L4D theme would work on a more suitable map like sandbox. if you just maybe planned more things out. Ever thought about making the elephant go around while holding off. Make road blocks?

Nice job - Not the greatest but buddy you can do it ! ! ! ! 3/5

7. Sgt Surchin

as i have made the mistake of doing not a week ago, people hate the gametyple "left-4-dead" with it's fast, one-shot zombies. they do in fact find it very annoying. to solve this, i suggest that you either change the gametype posted to either "braaaains" (strongly suggested) or "save my bullet" (not necesarily my cup of tea). please take this advice into consideration, otherwise, like me, your map will not get as many downloads as it would with a gametype that people favor.

8. P1MPxSLaSH

P1MPxSLaSH Forerunner

actually, when you begin a chapter in L4D you start in a place thats not a safe room that has supplies you'd need for your journey. this map is actually quite fitted for a L4D style game because obviously all players are spartans so its more of a futuristic take. and even if its not like L4D to some of the odd people then it's still a fun get-to-the-destination infection map so c'mon quit whinning and actually try it before you say how much you tihnk it sucks

9. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

Technically, when you start are a mission in L4D, you are in a safe room. You are in a once barricaded part of the safe room which, when you open the door let's you out into the nightmare filled wasteland. Also, L4D levels lead you on what is mostly a single, bending pathway that eventually takes you to another saferoom. The only real aspects of L4D you've followed is giving the zombies different classes. Also, the stockpiles, are completely unrealistic when comparing them to L4D. It was only rarely that you found ammo in your journey, not a whole ****-load of new, deadlier weapons.

Onto the spawns, which is the main problem Halo L4D remakes have. In L4D when you're a zombie, you can spawn just about anywhere you want, allowing for a deeper sense of strategy instead of just spawning in set locations, and having to work your way to the zombies, only to be picked off once more.

Now I need to ask a question that I just can't find a logica answer for; why Sandtrap? Honestly, any DLC map would've allowed for more variation in the level, allowing you to make it more fit for what you were getting at.

To end on a positive note, it was original trying to make a overall very complicated game on a map others wouldn't dare try. But, it's because of this that the gameplay suffers.

I've seen and played on your Sandbox maps and wish you would've stayed in that area in which you shine.

10. OneFruityGuy

OneFruityGuy Forerunner

Nibbles this looks like a good pre-Dlc
    I will give it a try

11. P1MPxSLaSH

P1MPxSLaSH Forerunner

well thanks for the criticism i really do appreciate it I'm looking at this map in ways I havent before. it would be pretty cool if halo could let you spawn where ever you wanted but thats a unmovable problem. as for why i chose sandtrap, it was simply the biggest one and was fit most for a long journey on foot. later I may update this map having obstacles lain down for the zombies to hid behind

12. Sgt Surchin

even thought the map is spread out, the fact that you used the "left 4 dead" gametype is terrible. for the sake of forge hub, i ask that you at least please change the gametype of the map so some other form of infection where the zombies at least have a fighting chance.

13. Mister man 1217

Mister man 1217 Forerunner

Looks like the Humans are given a huge advantage, the have a Elephant full load of weapons, vechicles that are super powerful and aircraft! The worst of it all, if the get int he Hornet, the Zombie litteraly cannot win because the humans would be in the Hornet the whole time.

14. P1MPxSLaSH

P1MPxSLaSH Forerunner

gamtype does not support vehicular use

15. BloodBender97

BloodBender97 Forerunner

No respawn points + giant respawn area?