Lametastic Map Pack: Scenic Route

Discussion in 'Reach Race Maps' started by Gravitas, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Gravitas

Gravitas Ancient

[​IMG]

The Scenic Route is a casual racetrack that stretches across most of Forge World. Initially, my friends and I were just trying different concepts and eventually a racetrack began to form. We spent many man-hours adjusting key areas and smoothing out the track as best as we reasonably could and the Scenic Route was born.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I refer to the map as “casual” but it supports Racing gametypes and can be enjoyed in a competitive fashion. However its size alone would likely prevent it from being in the same league as the best racetracks out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ll say this about racetracks: I have a much greater appreciation for the hard work that goes into designing and executing a great track. With all the new tools Reach’s Forge features, I thought building a race would be a piece of cake. But creating a quality track, with a reasonably smooth surface, easily navigable turns, dynamic flow, etc. proved to be a tedious affair. Fellow racetrack forgers: I salute you.

The Scenic Route is big, but several key “booster” pads and a mostly downhill ride helps create the allusion of speed. In several areas there are more than one way to the same destination, creating some interesting risk-vs-reward scenarios. There are also several “detours” to avoid, as well as a few obstacles. Although there are no gametypes that utilize it, I designed The Scenic Route to be “two-way” so that if the player desires he can successfully drive in the reverse direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Scenic Route is a great time-waster, in between competitive matches or for just goofing off with friends. Mongooses are ideal, but a Warthog race can be a blast as well.

[​IMG]
    ^crap in a hat!
    [​IMG]
    ^the homestretch
    [​IMG]
    ^"caution: road work in progress"
    [​IMG]
    ^take the high road

Although it proved to be much more difficult than I had expected, creating the Scenic Route was a nice digression after spending so many hours on more competitive maps. Let me know how you fair and thanks for looking.

2. SimmonsZore

SimmonsZore Promethean

I like this. I dont rate race maps on looks only on how much fun it is to play on and this is funn. it is also long and gos around the whole map that I think is hard to do since you run out of blocks to build with all the time. You made me want to build a race map now lol. Great map and keep up the good work !

3. Gravitas

Gravitas Ancient

Thanks for the feedback, Cheiyijei. I would encourage you to do so. It's a great brain exercise and can even be relaxing (at times, anyway).