L4D survival: how are some people so dominant?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wood Wonk, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

okay, so the free DLC came out today in the U.S. at least. me and my friend tried it with just the 2 of us on the lighthouse map and got about 4 and a half minutes. we then got 2 more people online who were decent and got close to 7 minutes. we found the best strategy was for everybody to get shotty, bring gas tanks and pipe bombs up to the top of the light house (not the very top, but where it has the railing around it). we then all crouched with our backs to the light tower on the corner to the right of where you come the ladder. there, no somkers can pull you down, hunter cant get up there for some reason, and everything else has to either come up the ladder or the wall that the ladder is on. most come up the ladder, so we rotated the person closest to the ladder. like i said, we got about 7 minutes, which i thought was fairly decent.

then i look on the leaderboard, and one group got almost 2 hours. granted, that was on warehouse, but still. and the top score on the lighthouse map was around 45 minutes. i dont understand how some people can be so good at the game, and how they do it.

2. X5

X5 Ancient

I would have to say, it's probably glitches. Seeing as after 16 minutes you'll have tanks spawning every second, I don't see how you could possibly hold up.

3. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

yeah i guess that is the only logical explanation. theres no way you fight off endlessly spawning tanks and special infected and horde for more than a few seconds, no matter how good you are.

4. STWOW

STWOW Ancient

Just like the **** zombies leaderboards on Cod (lol)
    If you havn't seen them they are all up to level 192932914 where as even the best only get to 30

5. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

My friend. Modding. Nuff said. And I dont mean in game modding. They just probably mod their rank up to there.

6. Shatakai

Shatakai Ancient

I highly doubt that it's modding on the 360. More than likely they just glitch, as glitches seem to be prevalent in this game. I hope Valve starts getting more QA testers for their games and DLC, this is getting annoying.

7. BattyMan

BattyMan Ancient

Yeah. The level design in l4d seems to lend itself to unforeseen exploitation. Off the top of my head I can think of at least three areas in the game where you can shove your character someplace he's not supposed to go and then remain there safe from the tank indefinitely.

Valve may have a couple playtesters who try to find this stuff before release, but that's only a few sets of eyes looking around for these bugs. Put the levels online and you multiply those sets of eyes by thousands, the attention being devoted to dissecting and analyzing these maps dramatically increases. So it makes sense to assume that when a new map comes out, or when players are forced to focus on specific parts of existing maps, unnoticed bugs are going to be immediately found and then exploited.

8. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

Well Valve usually makes their games very vulnerable to modding. Orange Box on the Xbox is easy to mod on. Left 4 Dead had a lot of modding but then they patched the player mods. They may not of patched the ranks though since they just came out. All depends though. If the highest score is like 1000 hours or something then that is completely false. 2 hours could be a glitch though.

9. Shatakai

Shatakai Ancient

Everyone, I found out how they have achieved this. I'm sure everyone has seen the little line graph that Valve put out detailing the spawn times of Specials, Tanks, and Hordes. Well, at around the 15 minute mark, the lines stop. It was expected that at that time the spawn times remain the same indefinitely, but something has gone wrong.

At the 15 minute mark, Tanks literally do not spawn, and special infected are scarce. Valve just assumed nobody would make it that far, and so they never got to test up to 15 minutes in, I'm guessing.

Here is the video for proof: survival-lh1.rar Download File on FileFront

10. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

^ That is actually an amazing find Shatakai. I guess Valve may have to update this in the future to keep making it harder and harder.

11. Shatakai

Shatakai Ancient

I'm sure after seeing this mockery being made they will patch it.

12. Coolant

Coolant Ancient

My vote would go out to map glitches, as there is absolutly no way (nor has been for a while) to mod Left 4. Period.

The Orange Box on the other hand...
    Whole 'nother story.

EDIT: Epic Lawl. Only Valve would do something like that.. I can't believe they didn't think anyone would make it past 15 minutes.

#12 Coolant, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  13. X5

X5 Ancient

I am quite surprised myself, that they would overlook such a flaw. I mean, logically someone might pull it off, and once they do... well that's just terrible.

However, when I saw the graph that they had created, I too was curious as to why it just "dead ended". I just assumed it remained consistent at that point, but it appears that it had not.