Sandbox L Train

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Dilligaf, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Ancient

L Train
    Created by Dilligaf Dumas
    Supported Gametypes:
    L Train has been made to support all standard team gametypes, but was specifically designed with multi flag and multi-bomb in mind. Good for 8-16 players.
    Map Description
    Making this map, I was trying to envision a crumbling ancient elevated transit system. It's built on the main floor of Sandbox, and stretches the length of the map, and somewhat overlaps the dunes.
    It's mostly symmetrical (there's a few spaces that aren't exactly the same, but because of the asymmetry of the dunes, perfect symmetry wasn't possible.) and designed primarily for objective games, but slayer and swat work fine on it as well.
    Two small bases on diagonally opposing sides of Sandbox are connected via an elevated "road". There are also 2 lower walkways leading out of each base above the main ground, but under the "road".
    I suck at explaining things, so take a look at some pics.

Overview
    [​IMG]
    Looking at a base from just above and behind the top middle of the map.
    [​IMG]
    This is a corner of the map, opposite the bases.
    [​IMG]
    The back side of the base, showing a warthog, 2 geese, and a couple of weapons
    [​IMG]

Weapons & Equipment - All respawns and ammo standard unless noted.
    BR - 10
    Sniper - 1
    SMG - 2
    Spiker - 4
    Plasma Rifle - 2
    Brute shot - 2
    Rocket Launcher - 2 (2 shots only)
    Mauler - 2
    Plasma Grenade - 16
    Power Drainer - 2
    Trip Mine - 2
    Regenerator - 2
    Warthog - 2
    Mongoose - 4

Download L Train

2. lefty0904

lefty0904 Ancient

You definitely accomplished what you were trying to do. It looks a lot like a train station area, so props for that. It looks very balanced, and the warthog wouldn't be overpowering like it would on most maps because the map is so closed. Good work.

3. LIGHTSOUT225

This looks absolutely fantastic not gonna lie. I honestly can't wait to check this out in Forge (and I rarely say that). Hopefully the pics aren't deceiving like they can be on some maps. The layout looks original, and the flow seems like it would be pretty natural.

I'll be back with more comments after I have some first-hand map experience

4. Phoenix619

Phoenix619 Ancient

Looks great downloading now and will try it out, great forging, looking forward to more of your maps.

5. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Ancient

Thanks for all the kind responses!

I hope the map doesn't dissappoint. Any and all suggestions for modifications or way to adjust flow and gameplay are appreciated.

6. the blue shoe

the blue shoe Ancient

Looks like a clean well executed map can't wait to try it.

7. LIGHTSOUT225

I did a quick forge-through on this a bit ago, and I was really impressed with the overall layout. The bases were intuitive and had multiple entry points, and the varying elevations were nice. I did, however, find some things that could be improved upon a bit.

First, The Sniper Rifle was on a 30s respawn. I'd recommend a 150s or 180s respawn on it, to keep it different from the Rockets respawn time, yet still long enough to not completely overpower the map. Its also positioned slightly closer to one base than the other, but its only by a few feet so thats not a big deal really.

Also, the defensive base, the one near the largest Sand dune, can have its highest road/path accessed easily from the sand on the edge of the map. I like that, but I feel the same tactic should be available to the Attack base as well. At least for symmetric games. You could set a gravlift on the sand out there so that a player could jump up to that path like they could at the other base. It may be cool to set the grav lift to only symmetric games, so that when playing one-flag, for example, that route isn't there for attackers returning to their base with the flag.

Last, some of the tube pieces that make up the corners of the top path/road weren't placed as well as they could have been, and create a little hop for players on foot. Lowering those down just a tiny bit would make those areas smoother to traverse.

Overall, the map layout, as I said, is fantastic. I can't wait to get some games on here, and will try and get back with more gameplay-related feedback once I do. I hope you take my suggestions into consideration, because they could potentially take your map to the next level.

8. rewib65

rewib65 Ancient

the maps layout looks really good and it looks like the vehicles would play pretty well. One thing is that i would suggest interlocking more, purely for aesthetics but i still would say this is a 4/5

9. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

Dope. ****ing. Idea. that's pretty much all i have to say.

I don't know how the vehicles would play up top considering most maps make the place for vehicles down below but i LOVE the whole concept. Nice work, this could be an idea that sets a trend for other maps.

10. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Ancient

Again, thanks to all for the responses, and the suggestions.

To Lightsout - I'm probably going to take all your suggestions except for moving the sniper. The reason I had to offset if a little was because of the neutral bomb spawn, which is dead center. The sniper and bomb would spawn in the same position which necessitated offsetting the snipe, but as you said, only a few feet. I will go back in and try to smooth out some of the bumps on the "road" and add that grav lift on the low side (for symmetric only- great idea!)

To rewib - I'll go back and make sure to get a little more interlocked. The few test games I've tried the gameplay felt right, so aesthetics are very important since they leave some room for improvement. So yes, I'll go back in for a v2 with some more interlocking.

To CHUCK - That was the plan, to get all the vehicles up high. The walkways and columns holding up the road also help to keep the vehicles from dominating the map without having to go around the outside dunes.

I'll probably go back to this one in a few days after I've finished the latest map I'm working on. Thanks for all the suggestions.