Just a tip before I go...

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Scribner, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Scribner

Scribner Ancient

It was great forging but I really gotta get back to what I was doing before... but before I quit forging I want to share a tip I don't think have been mentioned on these boards yet.

It's the method I use as the quickest way to merge objects into the map geometry. I use the door. Any experienced forger knows the unique traits of the door: The sides and the top don't clip other objects. One way to take advantage of this is to push objects into the map geometry.

[​IMG]

Here's how to place stairs against the wall without having that gap where players get stuck in.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i29.tinypic.com/2cdy9f5.jpg[/img]

Most people have noticed pushing objects into the ground is kind of a pain because after a certain depth, they literally sink then disappear. Same goes with using the door. I use the door push to drop depths of about 5 walls (push with the top of the door twice, then use the side once). After that it gets tricky. Regardless, it's an indispensible trick that you can use for many (but not all) merging.

Anyway, that's all, good luck forging! I'm outta here.

2. mackmack

mackmack Ancient

HUH? I confuzzled
    ~mackmack5

3. Scribner

Scribner Ancient

I'm talking about pushing objects into the map geometry without having to save and quit. I haven't heard anyone talk about merging an object with the map geometry without using the save and quit feature, so I thought I'd share the intel.

Let me break it down: The first pic shows how you can rest an upside down door on top of a box. Notice how the door automatically sinks into the box. If you grab the box, it'll get forced below the door. I just grab and release and watch the box get pushed down by the door. Sink the door into the box a second time and click and release the box again and watch the box get pushed down again. Tada. You just sunk a box in only a matter of seconds without having to save and quit.

The second screenshot shows what I do to place walls, boxes, and especially stairs aligned against a foundry wall without having that annoying gap that players can fall into. I just place the stairs against the foundry wall, pushed a door into the stairs, secured the stairs, then did a quick grab and release of the stairs. The stairs get pushed in and I'm done.

4. El Diablo

El Diablo Ancient

this is totally awesomely helpful
    I always use doors because of the sinking but hadn't thought of this

5. Draxfear

Draxfear Ancient

Thanks for that, I'm sure it will come in handy

6. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Thank you for clarifying, I couldn't get my brain around it from just looking at the pictures. This is immensely helpful.

7. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

Wow, why hasn't anyone mentioned that yet? I was about to give up on the merging with geometry thing because it's such a pain, but this will really help. Thanks for the tip.

8. Killer678

Killer678 Ancient

Sticky this! It is awesome! Woot!

9. The Jon B

The Jon B Ancient

This is killer. I've never gotten the merging objects into the geometry thing to work before. This should do the trick.

10. mackmack

mackmack Ancient

O.K. now i get it
    ~mackmack5

11. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Awesome tip. I must play with this.

12. IxGUNxSLINGERxI

IxGUNxSLINGERxI Ancient

this will actually help i knew the doors where like that did not know you could push into ground

13. Skull 134D3R

Skull 134D3R Ancient

This is most likely gonna help a lot, thank you very much.

14. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I used this technique a little last night. I recommend using two doors per object, otherwise the object sometimes gets slanted and angled. Also, secure the object between other objects to help keep it straight.

15. Scribner

Scribner Ancient

Yep, also space them out evenly along the rim of your object. The middle isn't so important, you really just have to place support against the tilting, which means place them along the edges but not too close to it.

16. JediWithASniper

JediWithASniper Ancient

I haven't gotten to use this technique yet, does it work with teleporters? I've seen those teleporter tapping videos, and I can't seem to get that to work, so I was wondering if it worked on em'?

17. Poztar

Poztar Ancient

Now THIS looks helpful. Thanks a lot for posting, this'll help out a lot.

18. FallDamage

FallDamage Ancient

thanks for clarifying, a really usefull post. Add to 101?

19. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I just realized that some people still don't know about this, so I'm bringing the thread back to life.

I'll see if we can add it to the Merging thread.

20. MealonX

MealonX Ancient

Im glad you joined FH