Jupiter Jazz

Discussion in 'Reach Mini Game Maps' started by Sotha Sil156, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Sotha Sil156

Sotha Sil156 Ancient

Author:
    Sotha Sil156

Map Name:
    Jupiter Jazz

Map Canvas:
    Zealot

Map Size:
    Small

Player Count:
    2-10

Supported Gametypes:
    Space Lasers, Space Havens, Space Ball, Space Stockpile

Description:

Jupiter Jazz

Some of you may have seen my preview thread, and many may have helped test (thank you all so much). Well, I have finally got around to working out a decent enough balance in the gametypes, and fixed all issues encountered in the map, and so it is finally here.

Jupiter Jazz is the first of several maps I will be making, all of which center around and utilize a unique characteristic of the low-gravity area on Zealot:

[​IMG]

Anti-gravity
    As you could imagine, this anti-gravity mechanic (which I actually discovered the day after Reach was first released) lends itself to chaotic gameplay.

The Map Itself
    Jupiter Jazz is essentially an arena in the upper box of Zealot. Players spawn throughout the map, which is located above a giant teleporter (which covers the entire main area of Zealot) that takes them back into one of the three lifts to the upper arena. There are mancannons situated around the ceiling to take them back down to the ground and across the map.

[​IMG]

Players fly around the map, on the ceiling, in mid air, running around on the ground, mancannoning from one side to another, constantly fed back in through the lifts. Let's Jam!

Gametypes
    I have set up four gametypes for use with Jupiter Jazz, each with a standard set of general settings and traits which allow the anti-gravity mechanic to function correctly.

I will put up those standard settings soon, hopefully.

Space Lasers Download
    A FFA Slayer game in which players get to mindlessly kill each other with Spartan Lasers.

Space Havens Download
    An Infection game in which Humans have low-gravity and grenade launchers. Zombies have high gravity, with jet packs and shotguns. The Safe Havens only allow the Humans to shoot faster.

Space Ball Download
    An Oddball game with random weapons. There are two balls, which explode every so often.
    Watch out! If you drop a ball, it may fall out of the arena and be lost until it resets.

Space Stockpile Download
    A Stockpile game with shotguns and magnums. There are four flags, which are collected every thirty seconds.
    Watch out! If you drop a flag, it may fall out of the arena and be lost until it resets.

Video
    I will hopefully render a video of gameplay for all four gametype soon, or something like that. If you would be able to play all four gametypes, and capture / make a video of gameplay from all four of them, I would be very thankful, because I do not know how I am going to do it right now.

Screenshots
    Unfortunately, I only have screenshots for Space Lasers. I will upload screenshots for the other gametypes soon.

Here you can see some of the lifts and mancannons that allow players to get back to the floor.
    [​IMG]

There are also some gameplay shields on each side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Downloads
    Space Lasers
    Space Havens
    Space Ball
    Space Stockpile
    Jupiter Jazz

#1 Sotha Sil156, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. HMSGOVIER

HMSGOVIER Forerunner

looiks like a realy good game idea, my #1 questiont hough is do you have a problem with kill barriers or anything like that? when i get on my xbox next il give it a download and check it out.

Peace :D

3. csrgamer

csrgamer Forerunner

Looks interesting, I'm downloading. :)

4. Sotha Sil156

Sotha Sil156 Ancient

There are kill barriers that you can run into if you hit the outer boundaries of the map, but fortunately, they are all soft. You rarely die, but if you do hit them, any objectives you are holding will reset, which can be frustrating if you are not careful.

5. artifact123

artifact123 Forerunner

I tried it out and it's AWESOME. I just love when people try making Maps on any of the standard Maps except Forge World. I tried Space Lasers with 5 Players and it's extremely hectic. 4 is best.

6. feartehstickman

feartehstickman Forerunner

This looks amazing! Great work.
    Nice work figuring out how the gravity works, that'll make it possible for many interesting maps.

I'll download and see if I can get into some customs with my friends.

7. Cryptokid

Cryptokid Ancient

This map was absolutely great when I played it! I remember playtesting this map and it was a ton of fun, there was rarely a problem with the game mechanics and overall everything went smoothly.

I would highly recommend that you give this map a chance. It doesn't look like much, but it is really fun with a good amount of people. If you would like to try it soon I will be playing it in my TGIF party tomorrow!