Jenga Tower

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Mini Game Maps' started by !nikheizen, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparten45

sparten45 Ancient

Hey this is very creative I gotta check this out.

2. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

Yeah, thanks, it's always good to make more than one type of map, I guess me and Rick should partner up more often.

Thank you, I feel very lucky that this idea came to me and I had Rick to help out.

3. Skill Caster

Skill Caster Ancient

Hmm, looks pretty interesting, especially the way the map was 'created'. Maybe I shouldn't stop my friends next time they get off track :p.

4. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

Yeah, perhaps a good idea.

The download:game-type ratio is improving, however, if you feel that people are just going to walk off the edge as zombies, you can change the scoring so that people get 0 points for suicides, it works fine when I play, but if you see a problem with it, feel free to change it!

5. Sheen Machine

Sheen Machine Ancient

:squirrel_evil:looks cool

6. Blood Enigma

Blood Enigma Ancient

I love this!!!! Jenga was and STILL is fun in ways

7. DarthYoda19

DarthYoda19 Ancient

k you try and make your friends laugh so they drop the pieces when they are pulling them out? haha jk jk

Good idea... would love to play it with some board members some time.

8. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

Thank you Darth, and also, your sig is a bit big by about 300 pixels, might want to size it down, the limit is 200 tall by 500 wide here.

9. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Rick's Recap

Overall Enjoyment Durability Aesthetics Originality Balance

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    8/10 9/10 7/10 7/10 10/10 8/10

Map Review Haiku:

Knock down that tower.
    "Warthog... Warthog! Warthog!!!" CRASH
    Stupid, awesome fun.

Review:

*I helped make this map, so I know I'll be getting a "Barry Bonds Asterisk," but it's more TurboGerbil's map than my own, so I feel OK about reviewing it.

Enjoyment: I helped make this map, so it plays to my enjoyment. It's not very competitive, mostly because it's an infection gametype, so if that's your thing, stay away. It is stupid fun, though... in both senses of the word stupid. It's very rewarding when you knock down the tower with a well-driven warthog or knock off a few humans with the hammer.

Durability: You can get out of the map really easily, but there's no reason to. You can just jump off the edge for suicide points, but you should really not play this map when people care about scores.

Aesthetics: The non-foundry background makes the map look good, but that's not really anything special. The main structures are set up well, but there's nothing really complicated or really pretty in play on this map.

Originality: JENGA in Halo 3? C'mon.

Balance: I think this is about as balanced as it could be. You (we) might consider adding more rounds so people are humans more often, but I like the 3 round limit... keeps it from getting too repetitive... not to say that I haven't played 6 or 7 games of this in a row before.

Rick's Suggestions:

-I gave them all to you when we were making the map.

10. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

[​IMG]

Gerbil and Rick have taken the genetic engineering powers granted to them in Forge and have mutated and twisted Halo into something it was never intended to be, much like Dr. Mafesto and his four-assed-monkey. The results are an unnatural abomination, barely a shadow of the first-person-shooter that God intended. And I love it.

Jenga Tower is refreshing, and not just because it's on Standoff. It's one of the more innovative games to be crafted from H3's custom options. It's also very well built. I know that these "new games" can be hard to pull off, but this one comes together like it should. I like the tower itself, it gives a distinctive image to associate with the game. The only criticism I can see is that it's great for a few games, but the replay value is not high. There's just not much variation from game to game. This is fine, you succeeded in the scope you intended. Also, the scoring is a bit wacky.

Anyway, I always love to see attempts at making a new kind of game, but they so often have problems. This one is solid, fun, and very origional.

Enjoyability: 9/10
    Durability: 8/10
    Aesthetics: 7/10
    Originality: 10/10
    Balance: 7/10

Pred's Overall Score: 9/10
    [​IMG]

11. Comrade172

Comrade172 Ancient

This game looks really fun and original. I never actually played JENGA but this still looks fun.

12. Wakko45

Wakko45 Ancient

I had a lot of fun on this map. Driving a vehicle at a giant cement tower over a pit that will kill you? Awesome.

13. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

Thank you all for the reviews, I love the double 10 on originality.

If any of you are interested, I am currently testing some new things on the map, additional platforms, new custom settings, more options in-game, etcetera.

BTW, you spelled "originality" wrong in your review Pred.
    As well as "genetic."

14. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

I leave it to you, Gerbil, to point that out.

15. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Squidhands' Furiously Tentacular Review

[​IMG]

Enjoyment: I’ve already gone on record saying I am not a fan of Infection. Or at least I wasn’t until we played Jenga Tower. This was a lot of fun to play, especially as a zombie. TurboGerbil (or Voldemort; whatever the hell it is you’re calling yourself now) and Cosmic Rick have done a fine job making something fun out of something I would normally steer clear from.

Durability: The map is breakable, but I’ve found that maps like this and their supported gametypes aren’t crippled by this problem. Not that big of a deal here.

Aesthetics: In my opinion, Standoff is the prettiest looking map that’s been made for Halo 3. And while the map’s layout is pretty utilitarian, you can’t deny the view as you hurl yourself at the tower. And let’s not forget the tower, shall we? Very nicely made.

Originality: A family/college drinking game melded into the world of Halo? How much more original can you get?!

Balance: One of the things I normally don’t like about Infection is that it’s way too out of balance, usually in favor of the humans. What What’s-his-face and Cosmic Rick have done with the humans spawning on a crumbling tower really evens things out. Great job here, too.

Overall: [​IMG] - This is great fun and worthy of the download, dear reader. Enjoy it; I’m looking forward to playing it again.

16. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

No problem, any time!

And Squid, I must not be named, you could at the very least, do me such a courtesy.
    That pictures great, you are quite good at that.

17. HYPER Devil Dog

HYPER Devil Dog Ancient

maybe make it a little bit bigger tower than ill download!!!

18. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

It's actually better and more frantic being the small crooked lady old tower that it is, in my opinion.
    PEW PEW PEW.
    Infected!

19. Shihuru

Shihuru Ancient

I have used this map for this thing i do every friday and saturday in the H3 community, and i never seen the spartan laser. But it's a pretty damn fun map by the way!

20. WD911

WD911 Ancient

this map did not really appeal to me
    sorry,
    and i know you spent alot of time on it so dont let me rain on your parade
    :), nice map

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.