Debate JDM vs AM

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oO SLiK Oo, Feb 7, 2010.

1. oO SLiK Oo

oO SLiK Oo Ancient

JDM (Japanese Domestic Motors) vs AM (American Muscle)

JDM's are mainly tuners such as Hondas (Civics, Hatchbacks), and Acuras(Mainly Intgeras like DA, GS-R, and Type R).

American Muscle like Chevy, Dodge, and Ford.

In your opinion which do you think are better, faster, and more Horsepower?

In my opinion, I like both, but im more you the JDM type of guy because JDM's are easier to fix up for speed. I want a 1995 Integra GS-R and going to try to install: Peformance Headers, Exshauts, and Cold Air Intake. Thats my opinion. What do you think is better?

2. BASED GOD

BASED GOD Ancient
    Banned

European>>>>>>>>>Muscle>Ricer ****

Jap cars are for poor people with no taste

3. Eyeless Sid

Eyeless Sid Ancient

4. Glasgow

Glasgow Ancient

I wanted a mustang when I was a kid, but now I want an S2000 because I always hear how Hondas have lots of parts and are easy to fix up. But mainly because the S2000 looks cool, and it only has 2 seats, so I don't have to cart around the family! Hehehe.

5. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I can't recall when winning a drag race was the be all and end all of car quality. But I guess it makes the manufacturer feel better about themselves after the embarrassment of shoving a big engine in a car and assuming that refinement and handling just 'handles' itself.

Let's not forget the fact that Porche is a European car, not Japanese, so the video's off topic anyway. I swear to god I'm going to start banning people from this board if you don't start following the bloody rules. Sort it out lads.

Now carry on.

6. TexturedSun

TexturedSun Ancient

On a side note, I love you Shock. You're my hero. And a very well-spoken one at that.

Back on the subject, you can easily get a crappy japanese import car for next to nothing in the UK. You know why? Cause they're cheap and crappy.

American muscle cars look better and are generally better refined. As long as you look after it.

7. oO SLiK Oo

oO SLiK Oo Ancient

First of all I am poor but yet I do like JDMs. But if i did have the money, I would buy a 2001 Mustang Saleen Supercharged.

8. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Why on earth would you want a mustang.

Why don't you have good taste in cars?

9. What's A Scope?

What's A Scope? Ancient

Why are we all worried about speed? What are we? racers?

10. Eyeless Sid

Eyeless Sid Ancient

Well its know fact Europen cars are better quality than any Asian manufactured car just look at the Toyota recals that in itself is an embarrasment. European rides and American Muscle always are competing and my video shows that a power house can have better acceleration and power than some well know European cars. If you wish I'll put up some videos of little ricer vehicles getting utterly smoked by Muscle and Euro cars in handleing,horse power , accelaration. Also if you start banning people then you will have less users in an already slow time between Halo 3 and Reach that would not be very productive now would it haha. My pont being American Muscle looks good and has what counts under the hood unlike all these Asian/Jappanese toys that are getting pumped out of the production lines with poor quality parts in them. I'll take quality over quantity anyday. Lets think about this who looks better a guy in a rare Mustang or a guy in a Honda civic which everyone and their mother already has lol. Once again Id pick a rare model Muscle car over a mass produced rice rocket. Also American Muscle cars are real cars crafted to look good and take a beating, They are made with Steel and they just sound badass then you look over to the guy in a Jappanese car and it looks plastic and looks like a simple fender bender will most certainly result in death lol.

What would you rather drive?:
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

I would choose American Muscle Over European and then I would chose European over any plastic Asian car. lol

#10 Eyeless Sid, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  11. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Some people track there cars. Some people take them to the drag strip. Some people run rallies. There's lots of reasons to care about speed.

The idiots are the ones that speed excessively on the road that endangers themselves and pedestrians.

12. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

Nissans.

They're cheap.

Of course, I drive an old Beemer, but I'd prefer a Nissan.

As for American 'Muscle', I think the GM bankruptcy of 2009 speaks for itself.

#12 Nemihara, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  13. TexturedSun

TexturedSun Ancient

I also drive a BMW (an 06 one though).

14. oO SLiK Oo

oO SLiK Oo Ancient

Because I'm Mexican. I like low riders, lowered trucks, muscle cars, JDMs. I don't like those little European million dollar cars. I hate them, I don't like there style. Plus I'm the guy who always has people with me. Also everyone that has little European cars are ****ing stuck up, and think there the ****. So thats why.

Also don't judge me cause everyone has there own style.

Also cancel European cars and go back to JDM vs. American Muscle cause those ****ing stuck up cars are ruining the topic.

#14 oO SLiK Oo, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  15. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

You're still young and just beginning to learn about cars so I guess it's understandable.

You can't just group cars together like that, you need some sort of basis for comparison.

If you're talking rally racing then companies like Subaru, Audi, Peugeot, Citroen, etc are going to be the winners due to years of extensive research and engineering development. American companies just don't have the history of developing Rally cars and as such have weak suspensions and less reliable AWD packages. Subaru has been developing AWD for like 20 years and it's basically as good as it could get. The europeans have also been very competitive at it and are always pushing the limits.

If you're going to compare track cars then it gets much more complicated. The Corvette Z07 is just a devastating machine that produces a ridiculous amount of power at a low cost. Though if you want to show feats of engineering then Ferrari's and Lamborghini's win every time. It honestly shouldn't matter what it looks like, the amazing engines, combined with beautifully crafted bodies that are both lightweight and aerodynamically sound are the reason they cost so much. And only 1 car pushes 1mil, the Bugatti Veyron. The most expensive Ferrari was the Enzo at 660k. Ferrari's are in a class of themselves, but the Corvette can hold it's own. Japanese can't really compete with this as they haven't been engineering cars for as long. The best they've produced are cars like the Acura NSX or the Nissan GTR. Very good cars in their own regards but can't hold a candle to Ferrari's.

If you want to look at drag cars then yeah Torque is important, but if you can't put down the torque then it doesn't matter. There's a joke, "What does a 800hp, 1000hp, and 1200hp Supra have in common? They all run 12 second 1/4's" Meaning just because you can put out the power, if you don't have the drive train to get the power to the ground then you don't get better results. American cars have been developing rock solid drive trains for years, which is why muscle cars are so renowned. Dodge has their Hemispherical engine, which is the most efficient power wise. But due to the complexity increases weight so it's not always beneficial. If you throw in the Vette again in this category, the LS7 has been basically perfected. Plus some of the old muscle cars are just beastly, like the '69 Chevelle SS with the 454 or the Charger, and it's just hard to compete with. Or throw in some real classics like the 427 Shelby Cobra and you really can't compare that to anything else ever made.

Then there's the tuner crowd. The VTEC civic is a pretty good base engine to work from. A plethora of aftermarket parts that can get you a ton of power for basically nothing. But again you're limited to a low quality car that has a weak axle and FWD. You'll never get the kind of power from a car like this that you could from a better base. Euro cars like Audi's and VW's are a good base as their engines are very well tuned and tend to have good suspensions and axles. The Quattro has been developed for years and is rock solid. Short of the 4.6L mustang engine and the 5.7L Camaro/vette engine there really isn't a tuneable american motor the way the VTEC is. You can produce a ton of torque from those engines though, and for basically the same cost you can have a 500 hp 5.7 as you would a 250 2.0L.

Then you have to add in things like weight of the car and aerodynamics, which further complicates things.

So, really, there's no way to do a straight comparison between AM and JDM. Also race and prejudices should have no effect on car knowledge. Cars are what they are and don't care about any of that stuff. Good engineering will always be superior.

16. fiery

fiery Ancient

Muscle all the way. Rice burners suck.