Interlocking

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by DimmestBread, May 31, 2008.

1. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

Well, I was looking at a bunch of maps in the competitive section and i was reading some of the comments posted. Almost Every map had some sort of post that said "You must interlock, Interlock more and I will download, This map sucks because there isn't any interlocking" and other things like that. Well, to me, a map can be amazing without having to interlock. So, What is with a lot of people saying you have to interlock. I mean it's cool to use and it helps but it doesn't make or break a map. post your opinion here.

2. ImI METAL ImI

ImI METAL ImI Ancient

Yeah, I agree that if a map lacks interlocking that it shouldn't stop you from DLing and actually trying it. But it is undeniable that interlocking will get you more DL's and make your map look more attractive and cleaner.

3. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

4. Jordan117

Jordan117 Ancient

I think it's true that people should be more tolerant of non-interlocked maps, and not simply refuse to look at them if they don't have it. At the same time, I know from experience that interlocking can greatly improve complex maps.

I had made one that had a two-story building with a balcony before I found out about interlocking. It worked, but was very ugly. Everything was tilted and out of alignment and there were gaps in the walls and floors that caused bumps when you ran over them. After perfecting my interlocking skills, I remade the map from scratch and it is MUCH better than it ever was before.

Of course, my map was multileveled and pretty intricate. I'm sure it's possible to make a great, good-looking map without needing to interlock. Essentially, it's a powerful and useful tool, but just that, a tool. It's not mandatory, and not necessary in all cases.

5. HumBoys

HumBoys Ancient

Heres the thing- by interlocking and geomerging, you are not conforming to using the simple items given to you by bungie, but something entirely different. You create your own landscape, as shown in maps like gradient, and your own surroundings and scenery. By not interlocking, you are conforming to using simple items for your map, which already makes it a little bit boring.

6. Recon

Recon Ancient

interlocking just shows you took time to make the map and didnt rush it and of course it looks nice and tiddy =P

7. GoodWhaleSushi

GoodWhaleSushi Ancient

I agree, but most of the noobies here who can't even do it themselves think that they'll look big by telling people to interlock where it isn't needed...

8. Waylander

Waylander Ancient

9. Markkus

Markkus Ancient

Interlocking makes the map look better. And gets rid of them bumps.