Infection Spawning Questions

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by jovial1, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jovial1

jovial1 Forerunner

I've been working on building an Infection map. When I got the layout done, I began to see some other potential for it. (Team based and FFA Slayer, as well as some Objective games.) But since I put in the spawns for the other games, the Infection spawning is borked.

Specifically, I want to have one set of spawns for the zombies in Infection that's only used for Infection game-types. But since I've put the other spawns in, the zombies have been using the red-team's spawns instead.

Infection initially threw me since it's in the Rumble Pit but it's a team-based game so I can tell that it's using the red team's spawn and the humans are using the blue team. But if I have two sets of red team spawns, is there any way I can tell it to use one group instead of another? Flagging the one I want as INF_SPAWN hasn't done it. (The spawns I want to use are tied to the game-type so they won't appear in any other type of game.)

Also, while looking at Countdown while trying to figure this out, I noticed that there was only a single initial spawn for both the Infected and Humans. I'd included spawns for each player. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm brand new to Forge with Reach, and I'm absolutely loving it.

2. Seaboro Kibbles

Seaboro Kibbles Ancient

So you want a specific spawn system for infection which is different that any other gametype? If so you could use the gametype specific tag for all your spawns. For example in infection, if you labeled a object 'infection' the object will only spawn in infection games.

3. jovial1

jovial1 Forerunner

That's part of it - and I've got that part down. The tricky bit, is that I want to have a different set of red-team spawns for other game types. (Slayer and Stockpile at the moment.)

I suppose I could generate a set of red spawns for each game type I have playable on the map and tag them for each, but that'd make basic editing a horribly crowded affair. I just wish I knew why they were going to this set of spawns instead of the ones that are specifically flagged as Infected Spawns.

4. Cheeze

Cheeze <FONT COLOR="#FE2EC8"><b>I Beat the Staff!</b></FO

Just slap on the "Infection" label and then put them to "Gametype specific= True" But you don't need to make the spawns red for them to work, Neutral is fine, because if zombies die, they will spawn on them, but if a human commits suicide, he will become a zombie.

5. IceFire Studios

IceFire Studios Forerunner

Yup, don't need to specify team for respawns in Infection as anyone respawing is infected.

Also, important rule to remember: Red is defense, Blue is offense. IE. Your infected spawns should be Blue.

Happy Forging!

6. jovial1

jovial1 Forerunner

I've got those spawns' gametype specific set to 'True'. I've labeled them as 'INF_SPAWN' instead of just 'INFECTION' though because those are the spawn points.

I thought that the team coloring might be the problem, so I made my Infected spawns neutral. But when I turned on the second controller and fired up a Custom Game to test the spawns, the zombie player still spawned in one of the team spawns, not in the initial spawns I wanted to work with Infection.

I'll put the updated map up on my Fileshare if anybody wants to actually look at it. I was about to submit it to the Tester's Guild when I thought I should look at a custom game or two myself just to check the spawns. I'm glad I did. @.@

And thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I love the Forge - probably the part of Halo: Reach that'll give the game it's biggest boost for longevity.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

Just to play with it, I changed the red and blue team's spawn colors. While that did force the Infected to use neutral spawns, they still avoided the spawns specifically tagged for Infected Spawns. Has anybody else had this kind of trouble with Infected spawning?

#6 jovial1, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  7. DavidJCobb

DavidJCobb Forerunner

The INF_SPAWN label does nothing, it's a "semantic" label. It's functionally identical to the INFECTION label.

If your zombie spawns aren't working, their positions may be unsuitable. You can stand on top of a spawn point that has .5 units of space above it, but the game won't use it unless it has around .7 or more units of empty air above it.

8. jovial1

jovial1 Forerunner

Really? The label doesn't do anything? I can't help but wonder what would happen if I made an Infection map with all neutral spawns, but some labeled as INF_SPAWN. Idle curiosity there, though.

So I think I had it backwards - the zombies spawn on blue, right? If I remove the blue team spawns from elsewhere on the map then the spawns work fine. Of course that means that the Stockpile setup on the map can't have a blue team. Are the red and blue teams essential for other game types, or can I make do with the other colors?

9. Dabobyjoeson

Dabobyjoeson Forerunner

the label does something, if you dont have any labels then the gametype wont start up at all

10. DavidJCobb

DavidJCobb Forerunner

The "INF_SPAWN" label does nothing. I never said the others did nothing, and to say such a thing would be blatantly inaccurate.

11. IceFire Studios

IceFire Studios Forerunner

haha @ 2 above. The Inf_Spawn AND Infection label does nothing as he says. What it does do, is let you know in the future what that spawn was meant for when you are in basic editing mode. Basic Editing mode shows all objects from all gametypes. So it would be helpful to know what is what. I set my spawns with GT specific labels just so I can keep track of what spawns are for what GTs.

Needed in Infection:

1 Blue Initial Spawn
    8 -16 Neutral (or Blue) Respawns
    8 - 15 Red Initial Spawns
    min. 1 objective with Safe Haven label (if not in the level, will not be compatible with any Infection gametype.)

Cheers!

#11 IceFire Studios, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010