If you could design a new 'Foundry'...

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Matty, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Matty

Matty Ancient

If you could design a new 'Foundry', how would you make it?

• Where would the location be? Earth? Covenant?
    • What size map would you have? 2x Foundry? 3x?
    • What colour scheme would you choose? Dull colours? Bright, bold ones?
    • Would it use walls and floors, or a death barriers, or a mix of both?
    • What kind of scenery would you add? Human? Covenant? Forrunner?
    • What kind of 'Immovable Objects' would you add? Strange geometrical shapes?
    • What kind of 'Movable Objects' would you add? Barrels and Boxes?
    • What kind of 'Fun Objects' would you add? Football? Shield Blockers?
    • What would your budget and item limit be?
    Make sure your answers are within reason of the capabilities of the Xbox 360. Bungie have already stated that adding new features to Forge itself are almost impossible. I dont want to hear any "$9000 Budget" or "100 times the size of Foundry". If i see any posts like these they will be deleted and an infraction may follow. I want a good discussion here.

Please guys don't just say "empty blank square" because you know Bungie will never do anything like that. Push your creativity. Look at this Example i did if your stuck.

Example

• Where would the location be? Earth? Covenant?
      My map would be set in the Covenant City, High Charity​

• What size map would you have? 2x Foundry? 3x?
      My map would be roughly the same size as Foundry, but there would be no 'Back Rooms' and the Roof would be equal height for the entire map. No silly Crane iether.

• What colour scheme would you choose? Dull colours? Bright, bold ones?
      My map would utilise a mixture of Purples, Greens and Blues. Similar to the Covenant theme itself.

• Would it use walls and floors, or a death barriers, or a mix of both?
      My map would be surrounded by a Covenant wall and roof, just like Foundry, but there would be no floor. There would be about a 15m fall before you hit a death barrier and disappear into Fog. Similar to Narrows or Construct.

• What kind of scenery would you add? Human? Covenant? Forrunner?
      My map would contain Covenant themed scenery. ​

• What kind of 'Immovable Objects' would you add? Strange geometrical shapes?
      The Immovable Objects i would add would be similar to Foundry's. Although instead of the dull green, they would all be a rich, purple colour. I would also have some objects with nice curves, which i could use for ramps or other things. I would try and keep the patterns on the objects fairly simple, so if i planned to interlock these they would look nice.​

• What kind of 'Movable Objects' would you add? Barrels and Boxes?
      I would make sure there were lots of new Covenant themed items in my map. I would make sure that Grav Lifts and Mancannons were there, along with some of the Covenant items you would find on 'Snowbound'. I would also add some placable 'Broken Ghosts' and 'Broken Banshees' which i could place around my map to get a 'Hangar' feel if i chose to.​

• What kind of 'Fun Objects' would you add? Football? Shield Blockers?
      My map would have some of the Fun objects that Foundry became famous for. I would make sure that the Football was present, along with the 'Street Cones' and Shield Blockers. I would also add some small items like a 'Tennis Ball' just add some unusuality.​

• What would your budget and item limit be?
      My budget would be $800. $700 was good for Foundry but i always seemed to just come short. I wouldnt pick anything more than that because it wouldn't be necessary. My item limit would be 200, slightly bigger than Foundry's, because of the amount of smaller objects i would be using.​

#1 Matty, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. Guitarmasta2

Guitarmasta2 Ancient

i wouldnt necessarily redesign foundry, i would it so that the player chose the size of the blank canvass at the beginning of forge. Kinda like those old tony hawk map editors?

3. Mortarion

Mortarion Ancient
    Banned

This has already been posted but, it would be an actual canvas. No geometry no nothing. No item limit, no budget limit. Just the same items as the normal one.

That would be perfect

4. Linubidix

Linubidix Ancient

Well, here's mine
    • Roughly twice the size of foundry.
    • With the height of Standoff.
    • Human themed, earth theme.
    • Inside would be fairly dull like regular fondry but not grey gloomy, more white and faded.
    • Similar object set, double boxes, single boxes, walls etc.
    • Non-mesh fnece stairs/ solid stairs. Poles, like a long flag pole, length would be adjustable.
    • Two custom items, custom box and custom filter. Adjustabel to be any colour, different texture, contrast etc.
    • Similar set up as foundry but straight walls
    • In replacement of the crane, a large disco ball hovering in the center ceiling area of the map, to give the forgers a bit of a challenge.
    • Skins on certain objects. Like crate has 3 different skins, foundry skin, metallic skin, white skin
    • Budget would be $800
    • The bonus/fun objects - cars(suburban, non-working cars), bungie logos(like little stickers, placeable anywhere), lighting(so similar to the filters but a mix, so like a mix between the custom filter and hill points, area it covers is customizabale)
    I think that's kind of possible.

5. RadiantRain

RadiantRain Ancient

I love this idea. From the guy who posted after the owner of this thread.

#5 RadiantRain, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  6. kayaman132

kayaman132 Ancient

No offense Matty, but why did you sticky this?

7. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

+1.

i just want to be able to build my map without having to worry about walls that are shaped funny, and ceilings that have things hanging in the way.

then they take the map, and skin it to give it different looks. EXACTLY like older Tony Hawk games. if the ps2 could do it, so can the 360.

Or even be able to upload images to your HD to use as skinning a surface, so that in effect, you can use photoshop to make fancy floor designs, such as in cold storage, and simply use the images you make the way surfaces look.

8. PwnCakes

PwnCakes Ancient

• Earth, Ghost Town Type.
    • 2x Foundry
    • Bold Colors. Ghost Townish Colors.
    • Walls and Floors with an invisible wall at the top.
    • Human... Mainly the scenery they have now. Also, Make a gate object... one like you place a control panel and a gate... and it would work like high ground.
    • All the same Immovable Objects, but just have double boxes and everything be more square. And small bases and towers you could put in.
    • Barrels, Boxes, Pallets, Tables, Chairs, Wheels.
    • None.
    • 900ish.

9. Rhinestorm

Rhinestorm Ancient

• Where would the location be? Earth? Covenant? A huge room in a Covenant ship/space station.
    • What size map would you have? 2x Foundry? 3x? 3x the side of Foundry with a huge rectangular/circular dome that encloses half of the map so you don't have to waste precious walls to close off the map.
    • What colour scheme would you choose? Dull colours? Bright, bold ones? Purple, with the FX stuff that can make it different colors.
    • Would it use walls and floors, or a death barriers, or a mix of both? It would use the floors, walls, and other stuff that make up the structure you see in High Charity. Also, there should be death holes (Colossus and Elongation had them) that can be covered up .
    • What kind of scenery would you add? Human? Covenant? Forrunner? Covenant.
    • What kind of 'Immovable Objects' would you add? Strange geometrical shapes? Foundry objects in Covenant form with more circular objects, a conveyor belt (like Elongation), the doors (remember Gemini) that open when you are close, as well as ones that only open from one side, Covenant elevators (they were in the campaign for Halo 2, and stuff that I can't think of right now as I'm tired.
    • What kind of 'Movable Objects' would you add? Barrels and Boxes? Sure, but in Covenant form.
    • What kind of 'Fun Objects' would you add? Football? Shield Blockers? Statues/holograms of the Prophets, soccerballs, a wanted poster of "the demon", Truthio's cereal boxes, and other stuff cause I can't think of anything.
    • What would your budget and item limit be? 3x the amount of Foundry. I'm pretty sure the 360 can handle it. I'm not entirely sure of it's capabilties.

10. thekidbd4

thekidbd4 Ancient

You know ivory tower??? Imagine it empty and the ground is flat. There you go. I like the windows and it lets sunlight light up the level. PLus it is one of my favorite maps.

*Something cool to add to forge maybe" A curtain that you cant go thru. So you dont have to waste stuff on making a huge wall that you cant get thru. I dont know but i think its a good idea

11. CPV18

CPV18 Ancient

I would take foundry, and make it smaller and a perfect square, qith a very high ceiling and walls that fit the box perfect anyway you want it too.

12. Matty

Matty Ancient

Please guys don't just say "empty blank square" because you know Bungie will never do anything like that. Push your creativity. Look at the longer replies, and aim for something like that. I'm going to add mine soon.

13. BASED GOD

BASED GOD Ancient
    Banned

Definitely Covenant. Basically a large square about 3x the height and size of Foundry, however, 1 side would be open so you could make Boarding action off to the side(and be the right size), I would but a grid switch so that you can accurately measure. I'd also be able to set my own death barriers, you could be able to trade in items as well. Maybe even make the theme changeable through filters?

EDIT: Items could include: Dead bodies and destroyed vehicles, liquid(neon?) and spotlights and lighting effects. eg: When you place a single open box, the inside is actually dark.

#13 BASED GOD, Jul 8, 2008
  14. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

The last level of the campaign. I forget the name, the driving part. The floor panels would be forgable. Obviously it would be really big in all dimensions and have lots of objects.

I'm wondering the same thing as kayaman also

15. bluepenguin23

bluepenguin23 Ancient

i would rather have a map that you could edit urself.
    so what would happen is the maps name is blank. then you put in the objects like grass, walls, sky, buildings, covenet ships what eva.
    then you could share your map with others.
    that would be my kinda map, one that isn't one till you make it one.
    what i mean is you don't forge it you make the real map and then people can forge on it but they can't deleat the things that you already put in there. unless you made some objects deleatable.
    then again i would like to see a very strange map i just thought of.
    3 maps in 1!
    so what would happen is some start out in a forunner area, it looks kinda like machu pichu today, and some were there is this big elabrit teleporter that looks like the aztecs design only you know it is forunner because it has multiple colors on it and it has a big ring around it that has a snake head with feathers.
    so u go through the teliporterand it takes you to a covenent battle feild. it is very dark and gloomy and there are decaying boddys every where. at the of the map there is a tele that takes you to a spartin training ground. the best part about this part of the map is that it looks like the pit only everything is deleatable and you can place the buildings any where you want.(so say i like the sword building but i want it where the rocketlauncher is on the pit. i just pick it up and move it there or delet it and spawn it there.)

well that is my map! or 3 if you must

#15 bluepenguin23, Jul 8, 2008
  16. Linubidix

Linubidix Ancient

well that's not for this threaf, you suggested a system to make a map, not ideas on a foundry successor

17. Stratigon13

Stratigon13 Ancient

I would have a big square with even walls and no crane but two opposite sides would have big openings which are the same size as placible gates like on high ground. Through those gates would be a giant deck which you could put vehicles on and stuff. So you could fly to the other base in a banshee if you wanted to or you could put platforms outside of the normal foundary. Originally it would look like normal human Foundary but you could use filters to change it to Covenant or Forerunner. The objects would be the same except for a loop that you could drive a mongoose or ghost on. There would also be guns that are broken and explode when you get near them.
    Edit: Matty you get some rep for having such an awesome idea for this thread.

18. wyatt912

wyatt912 Ancient

Where would the location be? Earth? Covenant?
    On a Halo, wilderness.

What size map would you have? 2x Foundry? 3x?
    About the length of Valhalla, but not so narrow.

What colour scheme would you choose? Dull colours? Bright, bold ones?
    Dark colors near the bottom, Bright near the top.

Would it use walls and floors, or a death barriers, or a mix of both?
    grassy floor, invisible wall VERY high in the air (1.5x higher than Stand off), surrounded by death barrier.

What kind of scenery would you add? Human? Covenant? Forrunner?
    E. All of the Above, Also plants and stuff.

What kind of 'Immovable Objects' would you add? Strange geometrical shapes?
    Foundry's immovables, And curved things like pipes, crouch tubes (like the tube on Highground).

What kind of 'Movable Objects' would you add? Barrels and Boxes?
    Barrels, Boxes, pallets, etc.

What kind of 'Fun Objects' would you add? Football? Shield Blockers?
    Mirrors (think of how confusing a house of mirrors would be!), Switches that control doors and could spawn items( example: you press the button then... Fusion Coil Airdrop.) FX spheres that take up and adjustable area. Activated equipment (Tripmines, Deployable Covers, etc.) Finally, Glue ( you Could make some sweet vehicles, like a hog with barricades on it.

What would your budget and item limit be?
    $800?-$1000?

I added something:
    Any Special Vehicles?
    Stealth Ghost: A ghost with 30 sec Active Camo(60 sec cool down), Boost (boosting weakens Camo), and NO guns.
    Troop Hog: ...a Troop Hog.
    Sycle: Spartan Motorcycle (1 Spartan), duel smg strength guns on the front.

19. ShadowLuigi147

ShadowLuigi147 Ancient

• Where would the location be? Earth? Covenant? It would be on a space station with a grid that fits the boxes perfectly.
    • What size map would you have? 2x Foundry? 3x? 3x the size of Foundry.
    • What colour scheme would you choose? Dull colours? Bright, bold ones? They would be like Foundry's.
    • Would it use walls and floors, or a death barriers, or a mix of both? It would use walls and floors.
    • What kind of scenery would you add? Human? Covenant? Forrunner? Human control panels you could link to doors and gates.
    • What kind of 'Immovable Objects' would you add? Strange geometrical shapes? Same stuff as foundry, but it would have tables.
    • What kind of 'Movable Objects' would you add? Barrels and Boxes? Again, same stuff as Foundry, plus some computers and tvs and office stuff, plus cake.
    • What kind of 'Fun Objects' would you add? Football? Shield Blockers? Baseballs, a special grav-hammer like baseball bat, and a rope-launcher.
    • What would your budget and item limit be? Can I say unlimited? If so, umlimited. If not, the maximum allowed.
    • What would the special items be? I would have a GravityGun and PortalGun spawns. And sliding doors. Plus I would have a camera and a monitor, and a glue tool where you could make a warthog with a hornet glued on top.
    • Vehicles? Every single one, except a smaller elaphant you could spawn.

#19 ShadowLuigi147, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  20. Fleabus 7

Fleabus 7 Ancient

Where would the location be? Earth? Covenant?
    Covernant
    What size map would you have? 2x Foundry? 3x?
    2x Foundry, exact cube and there would be big windows showing a big space type background (remember Halo 2 first mission where you watched the ships explode... that would be awsome)
    What colour scheme would you choose? Dull colours? Bright, bold ones?
    Covernant themed colours I guess.
    Would it use walls and floors, or a death barriers, or a mix of both?
    Walls with big windows like I said.
    What kind of scenery would you add? Human? Covenant? Forrunner?
    Snowbound, Construct and Epitah scenery.
    What kind of 'Immovable Objects' would you add? Strange geometrical shapes?
    Same as foundry only different textures and some curved stuff.
    What kind of 'Movable Objects' would you add? Barrels and Boxes?
    Snowbound, Construct and Epitah objects.
    What kind of 'Fun Objects' would you add? Football? Shield Blockers?
    Lights, soccer ball and shade turret
    What would your budget and item limit be?
    700-800