I can has uber forge fail.

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Warlord Alpha, Jan 30, 2008.

?

How often do you have an idea for forge, but it turns out to be impossible or comes out horrible?

1. All of my ideas are epic win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Most of my ideas usually fail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Most of mine work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not many of mine work

50.0%
  5. Most of mine work but i never post them due to mixed criticism during testing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Some work, some dont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I think mine are good but those who test with me generally hate them so i delete them

50.0%
  8. I dont forge [much] so i wouldnt know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheYavimayan

TheYavimayan Ancient

Well if you do not contribute a lot, people do not notice you much in our growning population, and if your maps are not what someone is looking for it will not matter how good it is

2. Warlord Alpha

Warlord Alpha Ancient

Well, in addition to what yavi said, sometimes not getting DLs is a product of bad thread making. Look at the bottom of my sig and see how i made my thread. 70 DLs FTW! No, but seriously, PM me a link to one of your FH threads so i can see if that is the problem.

3. ShadowSnip3r RC

ShadowSnip3r RC Ancient

I'd say it would depend on the extent of the map design. Sometimes in my maps they don't turn out as planned but I make them work anyway. In most of my cases though, I picture an idea of mine, and then I find out I don't have the items and forging abilities I would need to do it, or the map dosn't fit the design I originally thought.

4. Warlord Alpha

Warlord Alpha Ancient

Yeah. Sometimes the map's geometry doesnt cooperate, like those stupid pipes in foundry made me have to modify a map of mine so much, because i had to angle a box in a really strange way, then i had to interlock another box in a really wierd way with that box so that there wouldnt be a gap, etc.

I just hate when items dont turn out to be the right size or you run out of the only item you could use for that one spot.

5. MagicalMonkey93

MagicalMonkey93 Ancient

This is the reason "prototyping" a map before finalizing it is useful.

6. Warlord Alpha

Warlord Alpha Ancient

Im talking about bad ideas. Not ones that you post and they get 2 DLs. Like, stuff you think of and try but it turns out to be a bad idea or something you shouldve done on another map, etc.

7. Roche178

Roche178 Ancient

Belive me I know the feeling of EPIC PHAIL it burns.

8. SykoOne

SykoOne Ancient

LOL!

9. Insane54

Insane54 Ancient

spam....

the thing is, i think alot of good maps get washed up in the bad...i know of several maps that are really good but they got like 30 downloads even with a great map and good thread

10. Admiral_Mubutu

Admiral_Mubutu Ancient

Mine used to, but now any one I bother making works almost to perfection in the end///

11. Warlord Alpha

Warlord Alpha Ancient

"....any one i bother making...."

yea, keyword there is bother.

True. Its not as bad as bungie forums though. And at least here people look at your map.

12. Admiral_Mubutu

Admiral_Mubutu Ancient

What, I can't NOT make maps that I know will phail? If that's not what you mean, please explain.

13. Warlord Alpha

Warlord Alpha Ancient

I thought it was more of a question of laziness (like, im not gonna bother because im too lazy). i thought it was that kinda thing. I dunno though, because even if i have an "iffy" idea i try it out anyways mainly because its fun to mess around in forge.

14. Poztar

Poztar Ancient

I have some ideas, but I never really get around to forging them. I get these epic plans, plotting and drawing out everything, but when I actually end up in forge mode, I think "****, I bet I suck at forging." So I've never really posted a map.

15. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

But what good is looking without feedback? Every map except for one that I looked at, I went back and gave feedback. I feel that if you download a map, or say you will, you should follow through so that people don't keep submitting the same stuff over and over again if nobody will play them.

16. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

I've definitely come up with some failures, but it's all part of the process of becoming a better Forger. If there's a part of a map I made that I like even though the map as a whole sucks, I'll hang on to it for a while and see if anything comes to me that can make it better. The first map I ever created on Foundry ended up being the biggest piece of **** I've ever played and even made me doubt whether or not I should even continue Forging. But I hung onto it anyway and ended up making something I'm really proud of.

17. o Forge Freak o

o Forge Freak o Ancient

Most of my ideas are usually fail... I'm the only one that likes throwing stuff in piles and jumping around? :squirrel_rant:

18. Warlord Alpha

Warlord Alpha Ancient

Itd be about the same for me. I have made some things were im like "meh, maybe ill find a way to make it better" or "ill hold on to this incase something happens" and then there is the "holy **** this sucks *delete*"

19. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

So true.

I want to try and beat this into our member's minds, lol.

It means nothing if you go on a spam-quest through the Forge Maps section, commenting "this looks cool i will DL it" on every map thread you see. (Soooo many of you are guilty of this)

Dont bother even commenting on a map if you dont actually plan on really checking it out and/or playing it.

And if you do DL the map, and you enjoy it, be a good friend a leave a comment and rating on their bungie.net thread.

This should be some kind of standard etiquette to FH, to set us apart from the rest.

20. Warlord Alpha

Warlord Alpha Ancient

Well, about the etiquette, all your gonna do is chase away members. its like "you have to post a novel, play test it 2 million times, rate it on Bnet, post a novel on bnet, post another novel on the forgehub thread, and become friends with the guy"

Yes, that is a dramatization of course, but we dont need that. what you are saying is that those who post without testing it are bad people and like to make the poster feel bad. To be honest, i dont DL unless i see something special or unique about that map, but if the map looks good, ill post what i think even without DLing.