How To Save More Then 100 Custom Items: Tutorial

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by McBiskit, Mar 25, 2008.

1. McBiskit

McBiskit Ancient

I just spent the last hour or so messing around and troubleshooting ways to get around the 100 item limit on Halo 3 and I thought I'd share my newfound knowledge with you guys so you don't have to wander across the internet picking up little tidbits from different forums and try to figure out what to do like I did.

The only way I know of to get around the 100 item limit is to use mule accounts. The limit isn't on how many Halo 3 files the 360 can hold, but rather how many each individual profile can hold so each mule account you make adds another 100 spaces for you to store files. I have decided to use a different mule account for each different filetype, so that is how I'll explain this.

First make your mule accounts. I made three. Z Film Clips, Z Custom Maps, and Z Custom Gametypes. (I put the Z in front so that my mule accounts would come last alphabetically in the profile sign in screen. The name for a mule account doesn't matter unless you intend to store videos on it. Video mule accounts must have a unique name but we will worry about that in a bit.

Backing Up Forged Maps
    1. Boot up Halo 3, sign in with your Gamertag and go to the Custom Games Lobby.
    2. Set your Network Settings to Local.
    3. Set the map for the match to be the one you wish to transfer.
    4. Using a second controller, sign in your mule account.
    5. Start the game and then end it.
    6. Using the mule account's controller, go to map and then recent maps and press X to save the map to your mule account. Delete map from Gamertag profile.
    7. Rinse and repeat for all maps you want to transfer.

Backing Up Custom Gametypes
    Almost exactly like saving a map.

Note
    This works with Heroic DLC even though you haven't downloaded the map pack to the mule account. The maps would even be fully playable on the mule account.

Backing up Films and Film Clips
    Since the above steps won't cause a film you want to be transfered to appear in your mule account's Recent Films, you have to do it another way.

1. Set up your video mule account. Mine was Z Film Clips but this account will be activated with a Silver Membership so you will need a unique name.
    2. Go to your friends list where you will be given the option to sign up for XBL and do it making sure to sign up for a Silver Account. (You will not be charged or even have to give any credit card information to set up the Silver Account.)
    3. Add your Gamertag to your mule acconts friends list.
    4. You may now upload videos to your gamertag's File Share, and then sign in as your mule account, access your file share and download those videos.
    5. Resign in as your Gamertag and delete transfered videos from your saved films and empty out your file share.
    6. Rinse and repeat for all videos you want transfered.

Note
    This method currently only works for videos from shipped maps. Unless you pay for the Heroic DLC again on your mule account, it won't let you download Heroic DLC videos from file shares. This is only until April 15th when the Heroic DLC becomes free. But then the same rules would apply to the Legendary DLC. This limitation is why it's better to use profiles that haven't been activated as Silver Accounts to store Maps.

Hope this helps and feel free to add anything I've forgot.

***Edit***
    According to the Bungie site, it's actually today that the Heroic DLC becomes free which means you should now be able to download the maps to your video mule account, and as a result be able to download Heroic DLC dependent.

2. BanditK

BanditK Ancient

if pay for the heroic DLC on your mule account and not on your main account you still should be able to have maps of DLC on both accounts

3. JASONYO

JASONYO Ancient

yeah about that, when i load my other profiles, not my main one, i dont have the dlc maps, and when i dont log into live on my main account i dont have them? a solution

4. sham93

sham93 Ancient

Uhm, what so? If i go on Halo 3, i have to sign in with the other rofile and do the whole map transfer back to my normal accont to play it? Or, does it recognize it as being ont he hard drive?

5. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

I would just find it easier to put the files on your file share. I don't have many maps worth saving forever so, I may just start up a mule or two. Although I find it a lot easier to just download maps from your friends' fileshares. (Thanks Pred for tipping me off to that trick).

6. McBiskit

McBiskit Ancient

I didn't notice that my mule accounts had the Heroic Maps until after I had transfered some forged Heroics to the mule account. I'm not 100 % sure why they work, but since the map pack in now free online even if you can't get it to work my way, just use your Silver activated account to move vids over.

Also to answer sham93,

If you use my method to back up your maps, you will have to go through the effort of signing in the mule account and transfering the map back before you can play it. But now that I have my movies all transfered over, I have extra room in my main account so while I do back up all my maps in the map mule account, I keep copies of any I intend to play regularly in my main account so I don't have to retransfer them. If at some point down the line you decide you do want to play a map you haven't for a while then at least you didn't delete it and you can just transfer it over.

7. Grif

Grif Na'vi Tits

Well, I'm to lazy, so I will continue to complain.

Plus the Heroic Maps are FREE now.

8. N1NJ4

N1NJ4 Ancient

Wow, I have a problem with the limit constantly and this solves that. I even have an old account that went silver to use for films. Thanks McBiskit.

9. El Capitaine

El Capitaine Ancient

No, it doesn't. Each profile can only see its own custom content items, and can only have 100.

Howver, here's the point:
    Maps/gametypes, you should keep on your main. After all, you don't want to have to do this everytime a friend online wants to play a custom. However, I'm fairly sure that you don't have 100 maps/gametypes, there's probably a lot of films and clips in there.

Unlike maps and gametypes where you don't want to have to switch profiles to load, and keep switching and everything, clips and films you don't watch every day. Most people just save them cause they cant believe they did that crazy kill or whatever.

Obviously, if you delete a clip, you can never see it again. So, you transfer it to the mule account, so its still saved, and you can view it when you need to. But, it doesn't have any effect on your 100 custom content item limit

10. texturedlemur

texturedlemur Ancient

I still think bungie should just let us have as much as are 360's will hold. but alas that is but a pipe dream. (does anybody know where pipe dream came form? i think it has to do with drugs)

11. Celestial Panda

Celestial Panda Ancient

Real useful, thanks Biskit :)

12. Phantom Bowser

Phantom Bowser Ancient

Wow this is great i got it working and just wanted to say thanks alot man!

13. abridgedcritic

abridgedcritic Promethean

Newer Tech

I was wondering that since the update, can we use thumbdrives to transfer the videos or do they have to still be transferred through filesharing on xbox live because of the whole ownership of the files still being under the same account?