How to Design a Halo Map

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by MultiLockOn, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

#1 MultiLockOn, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

Post them all regardless of what the reception is. You've already put a lot of time into it obviously, and who the hell cares what anyone thinks. I'm a fan of unpopular opinions, and people that aren't afraid to express them.

3. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient

Thanks man :) I'm gonna assume you liked it

4. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

I did. Did I agree with everything you said? No, but I like the fact that you're willing to share unpopular opinions, and I did agree with most of it. Most forgers have their comfort zones that they like to stick to. In my opinion, comfort zones are best when you're not in them. I respect and agree with a lot of the 'rules' you refer to, only I don't like the word rules, because it suggests you shouldn't go against them. They are good as general guidelines, but only if you 'generally' follow them. Sometimes it's better to totally disregard them.

Mynx, Psychoduck, Buddy Jumps and 2 others like this.
  5. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient

And I appreciate that. I didn't think that anyone would actually fully agree with my view, it's really just something I feel should be said. Thanks again man.

a Chunk likes this.
  6. moo43

moo43 Talented
    Forge Critic

Really well put together video, I really enjoyed it. I agree with most of what you said. Over a period of time all of these 'rules' tend to make maps bland and uninteresting. I think rules should be used not as rules, but general guidelines to follow that you shouldn't be afraid to break. Like Chunk said, forgers get in their comfort zone and they like to stay there. As far as I can see nothing new and interesting comes from being in a 'comfort zone'.

Mynx, Psychoduck, a Chunk and 2 others like this.
  7. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

I don't like how you say 'Halo map', but mean 'Competitive/Core Halo map', even though your obvious goal is to talk about that specific kind. Other than that I fully agree with you. Good job on the video, man.

MartianMallCop and MultiLockOn like this.
  8. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

I'll repost the comment I posted on the video since it's easier to discuss here.

Very good video. I agree with most of what of what you say and I am one who really pushes to add a different take on things in each of my maps. One thing that I have an argument against personally is that there are a lot of rules that simply aren't based on opinion. Rules that makes it more than just art, if you're planning on having others play on it. As you probably know, I have studied and have experience in building/designing not only for halo but many other games. Looking outside of the box and taking influence from other games is very beneficial, thought in the end you are still building for halo. Even some dev halo maps were clearly build without understanding the limitations set by the mechanics. That being said and regardless of my point, I fully support this way of looking at things. I'm not at all saying that you shouldn't try new things but designers should know the mechanics and limitations of the game thoroughly before trying something too outside of the box if they are trying to be successful. Experimentation is ALWAYS welcome. You may just have to go back and change a lot more before it works out in a way players will favor it. Again, good post. If you ever want a second, non-bias opinion, you're more than welcome to hit me up! Looking forward to the next video!

I think he's mostly talking about halo in general (and on gameplay side mostly core, not competitive). It's an art because no one except you HAS to like your work for it to be "good". It playing good is a different story and that's where I guess my post is directed toward.

"Core" is a totally different things than competitive. Competition is a drive, yes. Though core doesn't have to be good for players that want to be competitive or directed toward their preferred playstyle, only support the core gametypes and be playable.

9. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient

Yeah I tried replying to your youtube comment but for whatever reason it's the only one that won't let me reply to. You're definitely spot on in everything you're saying and I appreciate your comment a lot :)

10. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

No problem at all. I have an idea for something you can talk about if it isn't one of the videos you've already made. I'd like to see a video explaining feedback. How to take feedback and use it constructively, what feedback is better left ignored and how to give feedback correctly. This isn't map design itself but it does play a huge rule in the process.

11. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient

Yeah honestly that'd be a cool subject to talk about, even if it's just for a minute or two. I'll definitely write something up :) thanks man

12. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

With 'Competitive/Core Maps' I just meant maps that are made for Slayer, KotH, CTF, etc., basically the serious gametypes. But that's not even the point, the point is that it bugs me that he named the video 'How to design a Halo map' even though there are a lot more 'Halo maps' than those 'serious maps' he clearly and specifically talks about. That's all.
    As a forger, who doesn't really make those core maps, I get the feeling that he doesn't value all 'Halo maps'. It's not a big deal, though. In my opinion a title like 'How to Design Core Halo Maps' or something would have matched better with the information that is given by his monologue.

#12 Buddy Jumps, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  13. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

The title fits all across the board. I know he didn't show pictures of infection maps or anything but the exact principals apply. He is telling people it is okay to think outside the box. Infection itself has become a stale game as well throughout the last couple Halo titles because everyone makes the exact same game. Zombies have little to no health, humans have shotguns, close quarters, or in a small town-esque map. Simply changing the starting weapons for humans or offering pick ups do not change the gameplay. Personally I believe every infection map should have its own custom gametype in order to cater to its playstyle. Making different maps that all play the same custom gametype are all going to be facing the same problems all of the core maps he referenced. Stale gameplay. The most iconic custom game maps and gametypes come from the earlier Halo titles, more specifically Halo 3 since we were able to customize so much of the sandbox. If I were to recreate my personal favorite gametype nowadays... (Asset - Halo 3) it would not be well received. HOWEVER, back when it was released it took customs by storm! The same goes for Conquest. These were out of the average gametype lineup, but were playable to be competitive. As for mini games, these rules apply heavily because all mini games should be completely original. Offering a new experience per map. Nobody wants to play the same mini game over and over in a slightly different setting.

The idea is simple. When forging, you are allowed to push the envelope on what is traditional. It only makes the game stronger.

SmartAlec13 and MultiLockOn like this.
  14. MartianMallCop

MartianMallCop Legendary
    Forge Critic Senior Member

You don't know how much I agree on how many infection maps look the same and play similar, I don't necessarily think all infection maps need their own gametype however

15. CommanderColson

CommanderColson Forerunner
    Forge Critic Senior Member

This video brings up some very strong points.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 22, 2015 ---
    I think part of the issue though in relating to all maps looking similar throughout the past through titles is because it's been essentially the same sandbox. Why do we remember Halo 3 customs and such so fondly? Because they're nothing like Reach, 4, or 2A. Why? Because Halo 3's forge is essentially a different sandbox, whereas we've been running off of Reach's now for almost 6 years.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 22, 2015 ---
    Hopefully the update to forge in Halo 5 is a mammoth of an update as 3 to Reach was.

16. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

@Martian - Yeah I didn't mean all infection maps need their own gametypes, I just think if you're trying to do something out of the ordinary it would be better to adjust gametype settings. But yeah 90% of infection games I played since reach have been in in a small town setting where zombies can get headshot once with a pistol. Halo 4 crippled infection though. The utter lack of options was its downfall. The other factor was that they added a flood skin for realism, but then gave flood thruster packs to completely ruin the experience. I loved the flood thing they were trying to go for, that was a cool idea, but was done very poorly. I've always thought about having a flood/firefight mode hybrid, but 343 is giving us Warzone instead... yay...

@colson - You are absolutely right. The objects and textures were perfect in H3 and ever since then it has become obvious what items are being used for what. Back then you could run around on a map and think, "Woah, how did you make this?" and actually piece by piece deconstruct something to figure it out. It has already been announced that forge has taken a huge step forward, so if we end up having prefabricated building pieces to construct Lockout or Ascention I'll be let down tremendously. We need different pieces. Different themes, actual scenery pieces back such as barrels and chain link fences and other things. Not only human scenery but covy or forerunner stuff too. It is absurd that they have not revealed forge to us yet, so I'm getting impatient, but I'm trustworthy of 343 even though they have very little credibility in this field.

CommanderColson likes this.
  17. CheapBox v2

CheapBox v2 MCC Era

This video really has opened my eyes. The fact that you referenced the map layouts of Quake and Unreal Tournament has inspired me to change up my style a bit and add those radical height changes and teleporters. I had been stuck in a rut for designs because I was focusing on what I had come accustom to from previous halos. I just created a 1v1 map today with with a hopeful play style as quake. Very fast paced and hopefully fun. The video was very helpful and looking forward to hear more. I will upload my map once I get spawns and fine details done. Hope to hear back.

MultiLockOn likes this.
  18. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient

Dude that's awesome to hear! And yeah I'd love to see what you've been working on, feel free to post a picture

19. CheapBox v2

CheapBox v2 MCC Era

I will try to post a link tomorrow to it if it gets finished. Thank you for the almost immediate reply, really does show that this community is on their game. Here is a link to some of my screenshots. Still none of the map in progress but some of my past work. All feedback is welcomed. Thanks again.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 25, 2015 ---
    http://xboxclips.com/CheapBox v2/screenshots

20. SmartAlec13

SmartAlec13 Ancient

I posted on the youtube video, but I should post here too.

This video really speaks to me. I always noticed scrolling past and seeing other maps over the years, that a lot of them really do just match up with Guardian/Lockout, Midship, and even The Pit. There's always a central area, 4 "bases", and routes connecting them, with really just two floors of vertical.

The maps that catch my eye are the unique ones that feature something really different. It is hard to make something really different, especially with these pre-programmed rules. I dream up map ideas and concepts, but then I catch myself thinking "Well teleporters usually are a no-go in maps".

I made a map back in Halo 3 that I thought was pretty good, the main structure of the map at least. It's a huge tower with mancannons inside, that let people get shot up into the air.
    [​IMG]

Your video has inspired me to continue to break the "rules", in a way that works. Thanks.

SecretSchnitzel and MultiLockOn like this.