Honest opinions/My Forge map's

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by DABLASTER 6, Jan 17, 2013.

1. DABLASTER 6

DABLASTER 6 Forerunner

Hey I was wondering if any Great/Good/AWESOME map maker would be able to check my maps out im still quite new to making maps I have made 2 so far for halo 4 and I just need some honest opinions even if it is harsh. Feel free to add me on xbox live GT: DABLASTER 6 and then u can download them off my file share.

Sargeras
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Sargeras
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Saurfang
    [​IMG][/IMG]

#1 DABLASTER 6, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. Starship Ghost

Starship Ghost Promethean

I don't think anybody downloads anything without a pic. I will check them out tomorrow though, unless they look completely horrible lol.

3. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

My specialty is aesthetic design and map flow, so I can look at your map in those aspects

you are going to have to post a lot of pictures though, my xbox isn't getting internet for some reason

4. Kazerra

Kazerra I Beat the Staff!

I checked them both out. I've included criticisms and suggestions, but in no way are you obliged to use them. I'm not an expert Forger, I'm just offering my opinion on things.

Saurfang
    This map suffers from too many long sightlines and too many separate areas of the map. The Station Corridors can be blamed for this. For improvements, I would strongly suggest opening things up a bit: delete some of the Corridor pieces and offer alternative routes to other parts of the map. Manoeuvrability is key.

The map didn't have much height variation, either. Sure, you incorporated three distinct tiers, however on each tier it is completely flat. This means that shooting cross-map is exceptionally easy. The lack of cover around the map will cause gameplay to become a constant spamfest, the winner being whoever can shoot who the fastest.

Sargeras
    I preferred this map, mainly due to the increased amount of cover and the presence of structure. However, I thought there were still a few problems.

You used a lot of Bridge pieces to build the map, and the main problem with these pieces is that movement is somewhat restricted when walking on them - as in, strafing isn't really an option and jumping may mean death.

There were a few long sightlines on this map, too, on the Bridge Ramps. I also wasn't keen on the fact that Red Team had a significant height advantage over the Blue Team. The Red Building could easily be camped in upon spawn, and Reds would not have any reason to move except for the occasional weapon being dropped in the centre.

To improve, I would again look at improving accessibility throughout the map. The main way to do this would probably be taking out the bridge pieces, or walling certain areas off so people can't shoot each other across the map.

Good luck with it. If you need more help, you could try checking out previous Forge Hub Favourites and Featured Maps. Scan the threads for compliments and see what people liked, then think if it'd be possible to implement similar aspects into your maps.

5. DABLASTER 6

DABLASTER 6 Forerunner

Thanks Kazerra for checking them out and for the good advice I will try and improve them and put the newer ones up XD.

SilentJacket I will put some pics up and it would be cool if u could check them out.

#5 DABLASTER 6, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013