Sandbox Hog the Hill: Skyline

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Mini Game Maps' started by Seaboro Kibbles, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Sotha Sil156

Sotha Sil156 Ancient

Cool. I was worried that you were going to flame me for giving so much negative in my review.

Round Ending.
    Now that I think about it, I never actually saw exactly how the rounds were ending instantly, I just noticed that that was happening more often than I would have liked. Now that I think about something else, in those games, there was often one person on foot and one in a vehicle at the end of the rounds.

To prevent the insta-end splattering, you could make people on foot invulnerable. Now I know that you did that in the first version, which often meant that the person in the vehicle would be hijacked, but personally, I would rather get my 10 points and have a working scoring system than be able splatter people.

Speed.
    When in the hill, people on foot can run at a relatively high speed compared to most other Monster Trucks maps. I can understand that made them splattereable to counter this and help the rounds end faster, but I find that this often just drags out man vs. vehicle fights at round ends because the player on foot can still easily dodge the vehicles, which, due to the having less space to maneuver on, are more reluctant to try to splatter the players on foot who are near the edges, especially the raised inner edge of the lower central ring.

I would, if they were made invulnerable to prevent splatters, which would help fix the scoring system, give the people on foot lower speed. I'm not sure exactly what it is right now, but I'm guessing 100%. I would suggest, from just speculation, 75% speed. This would make them fast enough to reach their vehicle easily if flipped, but slow enough to not be able to easily dodge a vehicle trying splatter them. Since you are happy with the arena style, which I completely respect, considering we are all entitled to our own feelings and I would never try to impose my own upon you, I am just worried about vehicles trying to splatter players on foot flying off the edge of the arena or still being reluctant to try to splatter them, which is a problem (at least I see it as one) in the current version as well.

Ramps.
    I would personally just remake the entire map for the third version. Maybe make it a combination of The Hog Hill and Skyline, with wider fighting surfaces in three areas. It's whatever you want to do though. I'm sure that whatever it is, it will only improve upon the past.

Good luck. I will await your reply.

2. AX7Irish nade

AX7Irish nade Ancient

i am about to download this map and test it out then i will give a little more feed back idk what u have done with the leader triats but i think there speed should be boosted and thier grav lowerd thats just an idea tho... i usally play demo derby with my friends and that is fun this looks better tho. can u kill other players normal? assasinations only? a little more info would be helpful. *sorry for my spelling*

3. ZOMBIECOW11

ZOMBIECOW11 Ancient

Its like a mix of old school monster truck and any hill game. I really like this map considering it is perfectly forged and well thought out. 5/5

4. Seaboro Kibbles

Seaboro Kibbles Ancient

I appreciate criticism, there's not enough of it on forgehub. I'm reluctant to make players invulnerable, not just because splattering is awesome, but i think that players would feel too safe out of their vehicle. Maybe raising the shields so more of a push won't kill a walker, but a full force ram will. Small splatters arn't really noticed, but devastating ones are reminisced for at least two rounds. Raising sheilds, and lowering movement would probably be a great improovement. I think raising off-hill gravity, increasing shields, and lowering movement could very-well be update worthy.

And right now, I have no ideas for a new design, the current one is so natural, so fluent. I just really don't think I can top myself right now, maybe someone else could, but I'm stuck.

5. Time Glitch

Time Glitch Ancient

Grats on the feature.

I played this a few times and while I don't particularly enjoy pushy hog games, this was the best I've ever played. Excellent forging, and excellent design.

Again, good job.

6. Sotha Sil156

Sotha Sil156 Ancient

Yes, giving them better damage resistance would be good. Or if you gave players higher shields, you could make it so that their shields don't recharge, and if you did that, you could make it so that they are slowly worn down until they are splattered. Whatever you want to do. Either option sounds fine to me. The other traits you mentioned sound good as well. I have no other imput for the gametype.

The only cool thing I could think of would be combining a new theme into the map, such as making it skate park themed, or racetrack themed with banked turns. I really have no idea. You could even make it seem like they are playing a monster trucks game on a conventional map lol.

7. Sarge525

Sarge525 Ancient

Finally, someone has made a good warthog wars map. I love the game but almost every map suffers from being a giant rectangle or circle; which gets so boring that it hurts. But you have finally done what I've been wanting for this gametype for years now, a multileveled arena. Not to forget how nicely done the aesthetics are, and this old gametype is just refreshed with such a unique map. Congrats man 5/5

8. Hank102938

Hank102938 Ancient

I played this map a few nights ago with some friends. I remember seeing this thread on here, and decided I'd give my opinion. We had a great time playing I think there was 5 or 6 of us. Only thing all of us didn't like was that there wasn't enough hogs... I think you have 6 or 8 max. placable... I'm not sure, but a few more hogs would be better so when there is more people. In our game the top wasn't really used that much, mostly I think because you had to go all the way back out and around in order to get up there if you didn't go from the begining. If a v2 was made I would maybe make it so a curved ramp took you up there from the middle area, that would be convient and cool looking. Also maybe a little bigger all around to comidate more people. Other than that we had a great time, except the host aparently didn't download the gametype so we played slayer which didn't work too well. Nice map.