Hinges & Sliding doors

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Aesthetic Maps' started by Goatnuts, Aug 9, 2008.

?

Your favorite Hinge/Sliding door

1. Sniper Flap

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. Self Closing Door

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
  3. Opening Door

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Slide Door

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Trap Door

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Butterfly Door

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. Upslide Door

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. Goatnuts

Goatnuts Ancient

Hinge Technology/Sliding Doors
    Hinges Bungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing
    Slide Door Bungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing
    Butterfly/Upslide DoorBungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing
    Trap DoorBungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing

Get this on your new Halo 3 villa while you can, all new doors and windows. This is a one time free offer and guide on installing and building your very own as well the concept behind it.
    OK now that I got that out of my system I will explain what this is and how it works, BTW I know this is very simple.

If you want to see the original posts you can them check out at http://http://www.h3artificer.com/forum/index.php?referredby=157, I would have never made these without that website, people are really starting to make some real innovative switches there.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention you can make all of these resetable just by destroying the pallets, so you could have a switch to do that to, I just posted the simplest versions of these

Hinge Technology
    What it is
    Hinge technology is the use of pallets and grav lifts to make hinge like doors/windows/whatever else you want. It uses few resourses, takes little time to do, and can add a new element of gameplay to your map.
    How it works
    Hinge technology works by grav lifts pulling on pallets that are wedged in a corner to give the pallet something to hinge on. Whatever way you place the grav lift is where the pallet will end up after it is moved/pushed through. I will try to explain better with the pictures.

Sliding Doors
    How they work
    The sliding doors (slide door, upslide door, butterfly door) work by a grav lift pulling on a pallet however they are being pulled into a corner, when you walk into it it gets pulled to the side.

Window Flap/Sniper Flap(the original hinge)
    [​IMG]
    Overview(notice how the grav lift is on top, and pallet wedged in corner).
    It is wedged such that the grav lift is pulling up on the pallet but it stays in its location(reason for being slanted).
    [​IMG]
    Once you walk into it, it flips up once pushed past the point where the pallet becomes vertical.

Self closing door
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the grav lift is pulling the pallet forward.
    [​IMG]
    When you walk through it the grav lift shuts the door back to original position(no way to know if someones is in there DontTellAnyone.gif).

Opening door
    [​IMG]
    Grav lift is pulling to the left, the pallet needs to be on a diagonal because once it reaches vertical it gets pulled to the grav lift.
    [​IMG]
    Once walked through it remains open (hmm you could use this so you know where the zombies have been), it can be closed by destroying the pallet.

Slide door(not a hinge)
    [​IMG]
    Once again a grav lift is pulling the pallet into a corner, the two fence walls shortly behind the pallet prevent it from hinging and allow a place for the pallet to slide into.
    [​IMG]
    Push the pallet forward, let the pressure off the pallet(basicly take half a step back), and the door slides open.

Trap door
    [​IMG]
    Overview, I think illl go get that shotgun.
    [​IMG]
    Walk onto the pallet and you fall through onto a sender node that sends you to your death.

Butterfly Door
    [​IMG]
    This is a back veiw of the door, you can see how the pallet is wedged up against the fence wall so that the grav lift cannot move the pallet. You will also see on the ground a fence wall, it kind of works like a hinge but not really, this is what causes the pallet to tip up.
    [​IMG]
    After you walk into the pallet, you push the pallet off the fence wall, that is keeping it from being pulled by the grav lift, and it tips up like a butterfly door.

Upslide Door
    [​IMG]
    The grav lift is trying to push the pallet up however there is a fence wall holding it down.
    [​IMG]
    When you walk into the pallet it comes off the fence wall that is holding it down and the grav lift pushes it up into a little slot.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well there you have it Im open to any ideas, suggestions, and/or questions.

Hinges Bungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing
    Slide Door Bungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing
    Butterfly/Upslide DoorBungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing
    Trap DoorBungie.net : Community : Forum Topic Listing : Forum Reply Listing

#1 Goatnuts, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
    Murdock Sampson, Hazza and redearth like this.
  2. echo_k9

echo_k9 Ancient

Nice work, Now all i need to do is to think of map i can use it on.

3. Stoj

Stoj Ancient

Wow, I REALLY like the self closing door.

Did you make these yourself?

4. Bobguy13

Bobguy13 Ancient

Beautiful contraptions. The long-unappreciated pallets will now feel the same recognition as the dumpsters!

5. Goatnuts

Goatnuts Ancient

@ stoj - yes i did make these all myself with the company of friends from h3artificer in forge, i did make a double self closing door it was pretty 1337
    @ echo - I suggest infection it could add a new element, such as know where the zombies have been or it could give invisible zombies away, or some type of map based in neighborhood

#5 Goatnuts, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  6. redearth

redearth Ancient

These are the best swtiches for doors I've ever seen, I'm favoriting this. Give this man a cookie. I like you infection suggestion, but I'm gonna use them competitive.

7. Y35 <3

Y35 <3 Ancient

Wow i really like these
    I have never seen this done before, but i would use a real wall so the grav lift cant be shot at all, just make things a whole lot easier

8. Goatnuts

Goatnuts Ancient

@ the official - yes i know i know you can shoot through fence walls and that regular walls would be better but when i put these together i used fence wall to provide the best visual so people could see the doors best and how it works, if i was making these on an actual map to play on of course i would use walls im not quite that noobish...i think

9. Y35 <3

Y35 <3 Ancient

I know, i didn't say you were noobish lol. these obviously took some brain to make, and it was good that you used fence walls, all i ment by that was that, even if its sent to instant respawn, the pallet will have enough time to fall, or even get pused away a little bit, and it would ruin the door
    thats all :)

10. Goatnuts

Goatnuts Ancient

i know you werent saying i was noobish i was saying that, the only one that has problems with getting pushed away is the self closing door cause it has no back, I am working on a better version of that one

11. mox rocker

mox rocker Ancient

these are very original and i like them a lot especially the trap door

12. Forge|Designer|C13

hey verry cool door's . . hope to see this on a map . shame bungie havent made door's or gates with switches .. I think this would be cool just image it each gate could have a switch on a certain number like tello's . gate on # 1 switch on #1 hey presto lol.
    Also if bungie made an open crate with a hinge on the top of it so you can bash in like on high ground. the door's could be on switches or open as you get close to them . :)

13. GD27 BlueDevil

GD27 BlueDevil Ancient

These look Great! Looks like you thought of everyway and direction for the pallets to go. Great job this could really help with the aesthletic part of maps.

14. WhyHelloThere

WhyHelloThere Ancient

Wow, that's awesome. Did you come up of those ideas yourself?

15. Kyfion

Kyfion Ancient

great job mate, must've taken alot of headaches and thinking to make these doors, but we thank u greatly. i mean who knows...u could've just made one of the best contributions to forging in halo so far

16. V

V Ancient

These are seriously amazing. I don't know how you guys come up with these. Definitely bookmarking this thread for future use.

17. Hazza

Hazza Ancient

Wow...these door mechanisms are great! How did you work it out? Anyway, there is A LOT of potential with these doors, especially the self closing door... I can see it in a western style sort of map.

New forge techniques are still being discovered and I wonder what it will be next. Great work and a definate + rep for this find.

18. forgy bob

forgy bob Ancient

when i try to download Trapdoor it takes me to the link above it, Why is it doing that? but anyways all off them look amazing and very innovative!

19. Goatnuts

Goatnuts Ancient

Sorry about the link I fixed that,

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback.

Im am finding that everyone really likes the self closing door which is sadly :( the only one that has problems but it still works good, ill have to get a v2 thats better for the self closing door. In my opinion the slide door and the upslide door are the best ones and coolest looking when they are opening.

And yes I did come up with these by myself however i wouldn't have ever even made these if i had never found h3a.

Someone want to tell me how to quote stuff im not very familiar with FH forums

20. a pmp nmd slkbk

a pmp nmd slkbk Ancient

ha good job gettin them to finally work theyre all cool =]