Hill Zone

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Sarge525, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge525

Sarge525 Ancient

Hill Zone
    A confined hilly arena (1v1 >> 2v2 maximum)

Map Variant

Description:
    This is a four sectioned open map. Each area having an equal power basis, with combinations of either height or cover varying from each section.

The first section is the central hill, what it lacks in cover it makes up for in height. As well, cover can be "made" by backing down the opposite side of the hill from the enemy fire.

Hill Close Shot
    [​IMG]

Hill Far Shot
    [​IMG]

The second section to the map is the Outpost/Cave area. Has both medium cover and height, and the downfall is fusion coils. In the upper area there are fusion coils which both kill you and blow out your rear cover. As well the cave that is below the outpost houses a ghost. The ghost really functions like a power weapon in the sense that it really only gives you and advantage if you are a better player than your opponent. This is due to the fact of the rather small size of the map and the large amounts of cover.

Outpost Close Shot
    [​IMG]

Outpost Far Shot
    [​IMG]

The third area to the map is the bunker. Although there is large amounts of cover here there is little height advantage. As well mobility is narrowed due to the little room available in the bunker.

Bunker Close Shot
    [​IMG]

Bunker Far Shot
    [​IMG]

The final section, which is really two sections, is the Waterfall/Snipe Tower. The waterfall lowers have perhaps the best cover from bullets but not from grenades and houses the shotgun. So maintains a balance by providing cover but no height. Now the snipe tower which is really a entirely different area can only be accessed by jumping up the platforms from Central Hill towards Waterfall. The snipe tower being the highest point on the map has no cover, but offers a convenient escape route by jumping into the waterfall.

Waterfall Close Shot
    [​IMG]

Waterfall Far Shot
    [​IMG]

As an extra note there are a few tricks to this map. One of which is the snipe grab. Very reminiscent of lockout, shoot the fusion coils and grab your flying sniper as it soars across the map. (see pic below for demonstration)

[​IMG]

Game Types
    The map works best with 1v1s. But it is set up for all team objective game types (except oddball). If you do objective based games I would suggest reducing the respawn/reset times respectively for each game; since the map is rather small it gives the attackers an unfair advantage if bungie settings are used.

Download,Rate, Appreciate

#1 Sarge525, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
    Eyeless Sid likes this.
  2. Average Zombie

Average Zombie Ancient

Doesn't look too bad, but I'm going to go and play it first.

Where's the link?

#2 Average Zombie, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  3. myonlydetriment

myonlydetriment Ancient

Looks great from the screenshots. You seem to have mastered interlocking... But, could you post a link to the map so we could see more?

#3 myonlydetriment, May 28, 2008
  4. Sarge525

Sarge525 Ancient

completely blanked and forgot the link will add now :)

EDIT: link is up now sorry bout that

#4 Sarge525, May 28, 2008
  5. Norlinsky

Norlinsky Guest

An artificial hill. That's awesome

6. LOCK.xcf

LOCK.xcf Ancient

awsome hill, looks like it took alot of hard work, i will DL...

7. FreakyPenguin5

FreakyPenguin5 Ancient

looks soo kewl nice love the hil

8. BarkusTheMan 1

BarkusTheMan 1 Ancient

wow. the hill must of taken tons of time. very nice job, flying sniper thing is cool too, does it go somewhere where one can't get it if you don't catch it? anyway, the hill is amazing and the rest of the map looks really cool too, excellent job!

9. Sarge525

Sarge525 Ancient

Well yes and no. Yes because items can sometimes become un-pick-up-able (not sure if thats a word but what ever), when they lie flat on inverted open double boxes. And no because the yes case is extremely rare.

10. Beyond Skill198

Beyond Skill198 Ancient

Very cool, good job.

Edit. I'm editing this so no one gives me any more bad rep... I've gotten an infraction and bad rep from this one post... I've learned my lesson so stop fing punishing me...

The map was pretty fun when I played it, Your interlocking was very impressive. Personally I didn't like it that much because there wasn't that many interesting things about it but it was still very good. 4/5.

#10 Beyond Skill198, May 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  11. ActTehKiLL

ActTehKiLL Ancient

Looks like fun!

12. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

usually I don't really go for the whole"artificial organic feeling floor" thing on Foundry, but this has me spinning the other direction. It just looks so unique and so... so interesting. I love that you used the collonade things to add a whole new aesthetic touch to the map. It looks small, but small maps are ideal for a pick up game. I will download this and return later with proper feedback.

13. Da Pig

Da Pig Ancient

Ha! Wow dude! Your map i really cool, I like the hills. Nice interlocking!

14. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

I like how you just made two big hills. Very nice. I thought it would've been a gradient like map but looks like just the two hills give this map atmoshpere. 4/5.

15. GoodWhaleSushi

GoodWhaleSushi Ancient

Looks kinda Empire-ish, but I think this is way too open...

16. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

that is excellent!!! The hill completely makes the map. It catches my eye and doesnt let go. The way its curved and all makes it really hill-like. Great job! THe bunker and rest of map are great too. Waterfall was made quite nicely. Like the Sniper trick. Use it all the time on blackout and lockout, so that you recreated it is awesome. Very well done :]

17. Sarge525

Sarge525 Ancient

Thanks for the posts everyone. And GoodWhaleSushi it's open because you use mainly BR's. Also openness prevents camping. Makes people have to stay on the move to stand a better chance.

Download, Rate, Appreciate

18. wallstreet

wallstreet Ancient

looks good, got my dl

19. Fbu

Fbu Ancient

Did anyone think of Sonic when they saw the title? =p

I love when people recreate geometry in maps by interlocking.

20. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

lol Fbu, was gonna say that. I immediately thought of it. That was the first sonic level I ever played. great game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.