High Ground remake?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by BoBwUzHeRe1138, Nov 20, 2012.

1. BoBwUzHeRe1138

BoBwUzHeRe1138 Promethean

Hey everyone...I believe this is where I should post this...if not, I apologize. I was wondering if anyone was brainstorming ways of remaking High Ground? I know some people disliked the map, others loved it but yeah.

I'm currently in the process of remaking it on Erosion using the natural rocky place outside of the Grifball court. The only issue was the terrain was quite different in many places but the aesthetics were perfect IMO plus I couldn't find a place on another map that'd be better. Some proportions are a bit different because I had to account for sprinting as well as the fact that the bunker for example, which in Halo 3 ran underground partially had to be completely above ground (meaning I had to build over it) so there are places where it's quite a bit different.

I'm about 87-90% done with the map and have almost used the entire budget but I believe I'm still good. I don't have a Gold membership as of right now since it expired (will be getting it for christmas) but I could upload it to my fileshare still once it's finished. I'm hoping people will try it out, test it, give me feedback on what I could alter to make it play more like the original and how to make it flow better.

If you're thinking of remaking it or have any suggestions right now, I'd love to hear about it/them!

I currently have no trees in the map but I think that since the map is a slight bit steeper than the original, the natural hills and angle provide more cover from the base than originally...for example, the rocket spawn area (near the beachside entrance to the camo spawn) originally faced the gate and both had clear LoS to one another but now because of the way I had to build up the terrain (to get rid of those natural land bridges and things) you can barely see the gate when behind the cover as it slopes at a more extreme angle.

I'm replacing spike grenades with the pulse grenades, spikers with assault rifles, the Bubble Shield with the Hardlight Shield, the Grav Lift with a jet pack, and placed the active camo AA in the camo spawn cave. Overshields are also more or less in the same alcove on the beach.

Another difference due to the geography of the natural terrain on Erosion is that behind the gate where there's usually the stairs on the right hand side when coming in...I had to alter it to have a wall there with a grav lift (one way shields)

The map is intended to be a remake but seeing as I can't think of a way to make a working gate (without using a grav zone and a huge crate of some sort -- which would make the map way different anyway) and because some of the differences in terrain it may wind up being a spiritual successor of sorts.

Here's a (very poor quality) picture preview of the gate and Splaser spawn area...

[​IMG]

It looks like the balcony next to the ramp to the splaser and the bridge is really close to the ramps on the ground and I know it looks like you could easily jump from the ground to the balcony (and you can make the height) but as far as I've been able to find, the railing prevents you from sticking a landing and thus falling back to the ground. Those ramps I had to make in order to close off the bunker that runs technically above ground.

Anyway...this is my second map I've made in Halo 4 so yeah!

#1 BoBwUzHeRe1138, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. N1NJ4 SEAN

N1NJ4 SEAN Promethean

Do you have this up on fileshare? I will test it out with you if you would like. I have always really wanted to play a remake of high ground.

3. BoBwUzHeRe1138

It's not up yet, I'm almost done finishing the base which is currently like 95% accurate but it may go down a bit as I might have to get creative with my budget and pieces I use. I'll upload it once I have the basic structures down -- I'm sad that they nerfed 1 Flag and Assault -- High Ground was MADE for those gametypes specifically haha

4. Bl0odshadow

Bl0odshadow Forerunner

Looks great from the low quality screen shot :)
    And i mean that.

Can't wait to look at it!

5. BoBwUzHeRe1138

Thanks! I'll keep you updated as I go...I have Forge fired up and am ready to go. Should be done either today or tomorrow some time, at least the basic construction of it...may fine tune some things here and there to make better use of the budget but whew...the hardest part of the base is finally done so I'm happy about that haha

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

....I may cry... bad news ....

So I was all set to finish Underground, I go to Erosion and see some of the maps I've DL'd and scroll down to Underground -- only the picture shows the Ravine picture and Ravine's description...I hesitantly select the map and start forge -- and yup -- it's on Ravine....WTF????? Has anyone else run into this glitch? I'll post a pic in a couple minutes once I see if it was a one-off glitch or if my forge save is somehow corrupted...if it is...all that work for nothing....for a stupid glitch... :/

Sigh....

...yep...it's gone. The save was somehow corrupted even though I didn't do anything to do so... :/

#5 BoBwUzHeRe1138, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012