Help Finishing A Map

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by NinKeith, Jun 23, 2010.

1. NinKeith

NinKeith Ancient

So as Reach is just around the corner (and I finally got bored of COD), I thought I would finish up all my unfinished forge projects. This one I'm working on has been in production for probably six months (I took a lengthy break from XBL during this time also). I just added a bunch of things but I am at a loss of where to take the map from here.

The map itself was inspired by blood gulch. Unlike most maps where the bases are directly across from each other, the bases are somewhat close to one another, and angled. This gives the path's to the other bases a "D" or "U" shape instead of a straight line.

I have also tried something I have never seen before, connecting the basses directly. I know it sounds crazy, but with the way it is set up (which you can see in the pics), I think it will work. Obviously if it doesn't it can be removed.

Now onto the pictures so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]
    This is the blue base, with the bridge to the red base at the right. You can also see the little group of rocks where the blue receiver node is (The sender is on top of the base). Red base is identical.

[​IMG]
    This is from red base looking to blue base from behind the bridge. If gameplay works as I think it will, the ghost and snipers should prevent people from making a quick flag run through this area.

[​IMG]
    This is the cliff going from blue base to the cave. I am planning on adding cover here. Also the teleporter infront of the cave is for forge purposes and will be removed.

[​IMG]
    This is the cliff going from red base to the cave. Again I am adding cover. Also since this is made of double blocks, it is placed right next to the edge of the map. If you try to escape a fight by falling behind the blocks to use as cover, the guardians will shoot you, and they are inescapable.

So that's about everything. If you have any ideas or questions feel free to share them. I am completely at a loss for what to do. My main concern is all the open space. I mean I know that blood gulch was an open map... but it just feels like I'm lacking something.

Thanks in advance!

#1 NinKeith, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

I like what you've done with the bases and the pathway so far. I only have one concern with the map being smaller than the original. This concern is called Vehicular Manslaughter. Vehicles on the full-sized map were truly dangerous, so even just having a ghost could make the map vehicle domination.

3. NinKeith

NinKeith Ancient

I've thought about that. And I'm restricting the map to mongooses, the 2 warthogs, a ghost, and a chopper to still be added. This is exactly how many vehicles are on the original sandbox map (expect one chopper is replaced with a ghost).

About the ghost... A smart team will take the ghost, and keep it in the back area. If you bring the ghost to the main area of the map, you leave the back alley vulnerable for a quick flag grab. The smartest (and I hope most common) decision is the keep it back there. The chopper will be enough in the front area of the map anyway. That's how I planned it: the ghost controls the back, the chopper the front.

The ghost driver should have his hands full with that small section of map anyway, and have no reason to leave the back; he can shoot to the top of the bases and bridge, and should be responsible for covering the back alley as well.

#3 NinKeith, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

Although that does seem like a lot of vehicles, I think as long as you keep some power weapons on the map (spartan laser or rockets would be a must)

I guess I can understand some vehicles on the map. I do have a chopper though. Choppers are absolute beasts and could easily take out every other vehicle. I would gate to see what already looks like an awesome remake, turn into a, "Let's see who can get the chopper first!" kind of thing.

5. NinKeith

NinKeith Ancient

I see what you're saying, but I guess the only way to find out is through some testing.

As for the rest of the map what do you suggest? I have way too much open space and don't know what to do with it.

6. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

Make it so it's not such a straight shot from base to base. Lines of sight are important on this map but they shouldn't be all over. As for the empty space, maybe one or two smaller bases across from the main bases. Also some form of cover to get away from the vehicle madness in the middle area.

7. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Make one large center structure that the vehicles have to go way the hell around to get to the other side, and make it wide open with three floors, and two/three rooms per floor. Adding the switch between super long range and short/medium range creates something beautious in BTB maps, and since it would be large and in the middle the effects it would have on gameplay would be wonderful and plentiful.
    Just a suggestion though.

8. NinKeith

NinKeith Ancient

I think I get it. Do you mean something like the center building in Derail in MW2? That's the closest thing I can think of to what your saying.