Sandbox hello.map

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by HawaiianPig, Mar 30, 2009.

1. HawaiianPig

HawaiianPig Ancient

Just posted this on HBO here. Cross posting here. This is Version 1, of course, and it may see further updates.

Quick Download Link

------------------------------------------------------------------

As some of you may know, I recently hopped into Sandbox and threw together a map that had been a long time coming, CTF Face (on Forgehub here). Well, I decided to hop into forge again and this time I started without a specific idea in mind... This is what I came up with:

[SIZE=+2]hello.map[/SIZE]

For untold millenia, the windy sands of this desolate landscape have seen little action. Unearthed only recently, it has been a true marvel to archeologists, historians and anthropologists alike. The eerie structure stands several stories tall and its depiction is still not yet fully understood. At the crest of a rather long structure exists a large ring held by two human hands; whether this represents unity, perhaps a struggle, or any other interpretation is truly a mystery. To its current inhabitants, however, it symbolizes a target.

[​IMG]

hello.map is an assymetrical design that is loosely based on the Halo 2 map Relic. It offers a modest attacker's base and a large, long defender's structure that requires rear entry. The map is sized well enough for 4 v 4 play, but is certainly capable of more. BR spawns are recommended, however this time, I had (and still have) enough budget to place weapons liberally and it will work just as well with ARs (...if you're into that kind of thing).

Notable weapons and equipment are: the Rocket Launcher, Sword, Beam Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Missle Pod, Power Drainer and Bubble shield

[SIZE=+2]Blue Base[/SIZE]
    The attacker's base is small and only provides players with basic spawn protection and a point for flag captures and bomb spawns. A sniper rifle spawns within the main structure to combat the greater vantage point of the larger Red Base.

[​IMG]
    View of Red Base from Blue Base. The camera's position is generally where attackers spawn.

[​IMG]
    Overview of the main attacker structure. The sniper spawns here, and both the flag capture point and bomb spawn can be seen in this image. The capture point at the top of the structure makes for interesting last minute defensive stops.

[​IMG]
    An alternative pathway to the flag capture point can be accessed via a system of Grav Lifts. This provides attackers an option for returning the flag that is more exposed, but quicker from the right side.

[SIZE=+2]Red Base[/SIZE]

In true Relic fashion, Red Base offers a hard-entry and quick-exit base design. There are two player-sized pathways up into the main base from underneath the main shaft, and a jump that offers vehicle access from the rear.

[​IMG]
    Front view of Red base. The main objective spawn/plant points are located in the center of the large monument.

[​IMG]
    Overview of Red Base.

[SIZE=+2]Weapon Spawns[/SIZE]

[​IMG]
    View of Red Base from the right side. As you can see, the Beam rifle spawns on this platform outside of the base. This placement discourages spawn camping of Red base to Blue base and offers attackers some time to clear out, or even contest the enemy sniper, at the beginning of the round.

[​IMG]
    The Rocket Launcher spawns on the left side of Red Base. While the attacker's hog spawns on the right side, it may be worth it to travel this longer, and somewhat tighter-to-navigate route for the Rocket Launcher, as this often makes base infiltration more successful.

[​IMG]
    Underneath the main shaft of Red Base and near the small, sneakier, pathways leading into the main base spawns the Sword. There's a fair amount of debris here, which makes vehicle navigation fairly complicated. A fairly reasonable strategy is to drop the bomb carrier off in this area and continue to enter the base from the rear. If the carrier is accompanied by another teammate, this can allow the team to infiltrate base through both entrances, resulting in a more effective penetration of base defenses.

[​IMG]
    Toward the front right of Red Base, near the attacker's hog spawn is the bubble shield. Experienced players will quickly grab this protection to make bomb plants safer.

[SIZE=+2]Map Overview[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

#1 HawaiianPig, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. HawaiianPig

HawaiianPig Ancient

[SIZE=+2]Action Shots[/SIZE]

[​IMG]
    Gearing up to roll out.

[​IMG]
    goatrope and Devin begin their daring assault with a rather unorthodox strategy.

[​IMG]
    The duo has surely gotten themselves into a sticky situation, as Hawaiian Pig makes use of the base's considerable anti-vehicle resources.

[​IMG]
    goatrope takes one for the team and saves Devin from near death.

[​IMG]
    This confrontation surprisingly didn't go so well for the sword carrier; the impending scene of an unfortunate bulltrue near Red Base's lower entrance.

[​IMG]
    Bomb Planted.

[​IMG]
    Bomb Detonated.

[​IMG]
    A rather scenic view of a job well done from Blue Base

[SIZE=+2]Progress Shots[/SIZE]

The construction of the map began as a joke and, over the course of a week or two, evolved into a full fledged competitive map.

[​IMG]
    Construction of the main "monument," and a fun jump.

[​IMG]
    Evel Knieveling it through "the ring" in a Chopper. Before you die, you see the ring.

[​IMG]
    Roughing out a basic base design

[​IMG]
    A partially complete Red Base

-----------------------------------

Currently the map is only configured for CTF and Assault

The map can be downloaded here.

Enjoy and happy infiltrating.

A Special Thanks to the following for playtesting and generally distracting me during construction:
    goatrope
    Devin Olsen
    Banshee105
    Casual Crab

#2 HawaiianPig, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. g35cpe

g35cpe Ancient

Nice map. How long did it take?

4. HawaiianPig

HawaiianPig Ancient

About a week or two on and off. In terms of hours, I'm not sure, probably a total of 10 - 20.

5. Star iz Legiit

Star iz Legiit Ancient

looks very well built, and very fun actually, It looks as if it would just be for jumping the warthog, but i am going to give it a download right now and play it at my friends tomorrow,then i will tell you how the gameplay goes

6. Fisty J

Fisty J Ancient

Oh my... I have seen this before. You even made the wedding ring. I'll download only because you made me laugh. Very creative!

7. mastersync23

mastersync23 Ancient

Wow, this looks great. The whole layout looks great, and the hoop adds a giagantic feel to the map. Nice job, man. 4/5.

8. AeroDynamic

AeroDynamic Ancient

Hoop. Really? Man this is hilarious.. Very good use of that which will remain nameless. I salute for your your gaping achievement.

9. D4ni3l G

D4ni3l G Ancient

The design of the red base is great, realy smooth and well shaped, especially the floor. Good job. if you're making a V2 i'd reccomend inderlocking the mancannons into the ramps just to make it a little neater looking.

10. Kevinth3Killer

Kevinth3Killer Ancient

Looks cool, I noticed you did a good job on weapon spawns and balancing things out ex. the warthog and rockets. But between the two bases it's just kinda empty and that needs to be fixed

11. SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon Ancient

ok, first off
    I'M IN LOVE WITH THAT CENTER RING...!!!!! :D
    I love when things are all neat and symmetrical, and that ring is just that!!! :D
    good job, looks like a very fun map, although i'd love to be able to fly a banshee through that loop [but that's just me :D]

12. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

I cant believe I didnt see it at first. Hilarious.
    The map actually isnt that bad either, we were all just messing around on it and laughing our asses off.

Kudos to you, you sick sick man.

13. Spartan343gs

Spartan343gs Ancient

It is really a great map, quite nasty though I don't think I will ever be able to play it with a straight face after seeing that picture.

#13 Spartan343gs, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  14. FragdaddyXXL

FragdaddyXXL Ancient

Lololol. Goatse

15. HawaiianPig

HawaiianPig Ancient

This is by design, to make flag captures just a little more precarious, and to encourage vehicle use.

16. whiizzle

whiizzle Ancient

well i think that the weapons could be better around the bomb plant, like adding some rockets/ missle pods...or maybe some brute shots for the fast firing and maximumdamage!...

and i believe the relic is depicting a struggle, if i may add.
    you should definately make a v2 with some kind of monument under the hole, we want something to catch the bomb if it gets planted..you know?

17. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

This has to be one of the most...inventive forges that I've ever seen. I don't think I ever, ever, ever would have thought to make something like this. I only played a goofy FFA on this (which was good, because I couldn't stop laughing), but it was very enjoyable to say the least. I'm going to have to get an Assault game here, just to appease the gods of irony and to be able to give feedback for the games you intend it to play. I think you may have created a new internet rule here, sir. Congratulations. :)

18. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

I love the asymmetrical nature of the map; it looks as if you pulled it off very well.