Haunted Manor

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Casual Maps' started by voodoo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. voodoo

voodoo Ancient

Haunted Manor
    Created by ninni21

This old building has its share of secrets

Base: ___-.Foundry

Supported Gametypes:

• Assault
      Capture the Flag
      Infection
      Juggernaut
      King of the Hill
      Oddball
      Territories
      VIP
      Custom Gametype(s)

Description:

Basically this map is a house. It has four (sort of five) levels: There is the basement, the first floor, the air ducts (with vents), and the roof. The ground floor on the outside is not the same height as the first floor, so it might count as another level.

All gametypes work, but I suggest, if you don't like infection, FFA or Team Slayer and Oddball.

But the map is more than just a house, it has many unique elements that strongly diversify the gameplay.
    • There are many ways to get onto the roof. One is through the chimney, where a grav lift spawns by default. The grav lift cannot be blown up from the top, though, since it is blocked by a shield door. So a zombie up there cannot fall through, and if a human goes up there the zombie can still get up there. And of course it is possible to jump up there from each side of the map (its easier with more help from a teammate).
    • The air duct has three entrances. One is on the front of the house and one is on the back of the house (though the one in the front is easier to get into). The two entrances are separated by a crate. To get past you have to break the pallet that the crate is resting on, and the crate will fall down. Unfortunately, it is now possible to jump up into the air ducts from the inside. (It is also possible to break the pallet from the inside)
    • The basement has seven entrances. There is one ramp and an opening that both lead to the first floor, and two stairs that lead to the outside. There are also three windows that can be crouched through from the outside. One is on the back of the house, but it gets blocked after a certain amount of time. The other two are underneath the porch.
    • There in a wine cellar that can be dropped down into in the back corner of the yard. The back wall broke down, though. They patched the hole that led to the outside and they covered the hole in the roof with a crate.

Obviously you will realize that not every technique on this map is my idea. The shield door blocking the grav lift was taken from Shock Theta's map, and the passage way under the porch was taken from The Estate, which I believe was made by AZN FTW.

I realize it is possible to get outside of the map, which is why my infection gametype for the map, which can be found at the link below, give the Zombies actual weapons rather than swords.

I set this up to work for every gametype, but I feel infection is the most dynamic gametype for this map.

The Infection Gametype:
    Ghosts

The premise for this gametype came about because I wanted to separate this map from all of the other maps. Plus I needed a way for the zombies to be able to blow up the grav lift.

The humans and zombies both spawn with shotguns and magnums and both are white. The humans have no waypoints over their heads, so they never know if someone is a ghost or a human. The humans also don't have radar, but the ghosts do. The final difference is that while both humans and ghosts have shields, ghosts only have 10% damage resistance. The reason I gave the ghosts shields is because the humans shields do not recharge, but they can recover health by killing the ghosts (25% shields). When I tried it without giving the ghosts shields the humans shields never came back after kills.

Forging 101:

[ YES ] __Floating Objects
    [ ___ ] __Instant Respawn
    [ ___ ] __Immovable Objects
    [ YES ] __Timed Map Events
    [ YES ] __Effective Spawn Placement
    [ YES ] __Gravity Lift Techniques
    [ ___ ] __Objects Placed in Water
    [ ___ ] __Used Symmetry Option
    [ YES ] __Interlocking Objects
    [ YES ] __Objects Merged with Map Geometry
    [ YES ] __Unlimited Budget Glitch

The front
    [​IMG]

Looking in from the front
    [​IMG]

A side of the house
    [​IMG]

The basement from outside
    [​IMG]

Camping at the chimney
    [​IMG]

The basement from a corner
    [​IMG]

The basement from another corner
    [​IMG]

The back from one side
    [​IMG]

The back from another side
    [​IMG]

Download Haunted Manor
    Download Ghosts

Don't be afraid to comment in those threads, either, since they get lost quickly on the Bungie forums.

2. StrikerSniper77

StrikerSniper77 Ancient

DAMN!!! This place is huge... I wonder how it plays... :squirrel_eyebrow:

3. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

You finally published this map! Been ages since I played it first. It was fun back then. Did you make any changes?

4. voodoo

voodoo Ancient

The main change was I added stairs that led outside because people would go there anyway, and I added a second entrance to the wine cellar. Hope you enjoy it. :squirrel_wink:

5. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

this is the best house map of all time. Great use of merging. Just please make sure that people cant go outside of the map

6. dundeedufc

dundeedufc Ancient

Hey mate, seriously, kudos. I have played with all of my friends on this, it is freaking amazing!!!! Just wanted to thank you.

7. eating beans

eating beans Ancient

i remember plying this im glad u used unlimited money to put more stuff

8. gman11d6

gman11d6 Ancient

Great Job with your post! Ill download ASAP!

9. voodoo

voodoo Ancient

I couldn't block it off completely, so I had to just place stairs that led outside. the zombie intially spawns out there, every other spawn would probably be inside the map. Plus, there are no hiding spots outside of the map besides one open box, so there really is no sense in being out there.

10. yupjo

yupjo Ancient

Good job, the concept is nice :p

11. LOL zombie

LOL zombie Ancient

Dude this is a tight post. The whole forging 101 checklist was awesome. Im gonna use that in my next map post.

The map looks good 2. Im wondering what u interlocked. I cant really tell..

12. voodoo

voodoo Ancient

13. goldman 010

goldman 010 Ancient
    Banned

what a cool course
    :squirrel_chatting:

14. gorebound

gorebound Ancient

I'm definitely looking forward to playing a couple of games on this map later on tonight. Be sure to be on the lookout for reviews in the coming hours / days.

Peace // gorebound

15. pred10122

pred10122 Ancient

Looks awsome! downloaded :squirrel_chatting:

16. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Rick's Recap

Overall Enjoyment Durability Aesthetics Originality Balance

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    6/10 5/10 4/10 9/10 8/10 5/10

Map Review Haiku:

It's infection time.
    I can't tell who's a zombie.
    Oh wait, no. I can.

The first thing I should say (again, I don't know why we keep starting off with an infection map) is that I hate (HATE) infection games, so keep that in mind. Even though I realize they are the only way to make some interesting, truly creative games, I still hate the whole concept.

Anyway, aesthetically, this map is great. It all looked very nice from the outside. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see much of the inside. We pretty much hung out on the roof and outside the fences. Too easy to get killed inside.

As is often the problem with infection games, it's way easy to break, especially with the custom settings. If the humans are organized, all they have to do is stand in the corner with their (essentially, BR's) pistols. I'm pretty sure it would play a lot better if the zombies had more shields, though, like double. Creative gameplay, though. If only the giant red letters didn't totally give away the zombies every time you looked at them.

Rick's suggestions:

-Turn up the zombies shields a bit. Figure out a way to make the roof and outside less desirable.

17. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

[​IMG]

Haunted Manor and the accompanying gametype, Ghosts, is full of potential. The map and the gametype both have some nice strengths and some crippeling weaknesses.

The map: Haunted Manor is a bare-bones simulation of a house. There's even a really nice attempt at a basement, by building a false "ground" to dig into although it does not extend very far past the house. Aesthetically, it's mediocre at best. There are some areas that could be helped greatly by interlocking (and I know the author knows how because the "ground" is totally interlocked), and it just doesn't look much like a house from the outside. There is no attempt to restrict the action to the house area, which is made clear by the stairs leading to the [totally undeveloped] outside. This proved to be the fatal flaw, as the humans were able to post up in the outside area, with no worries of any zombie ghosts having a prayer of reaching them.

The gametype: Ghosts really makes and simulatneously breaks the overall package. First, the problems. The zombies take one hit to kill, and it doesn't even have to be a headshot. The humans have shields (that don't recharge). The zombies have radar, the humans don't. This does not quite balance out, but nice attempt. OK, enough criticism. I saved my favorite part for last. Some of you probably know that I have a military background. There is something that you probably have heard of in the military called "rules of engagement", or ROE. These are the malleable criteria for when it is OK to, basically, to shoot someone. It comes from high above, depends on the situation, and changes from time to time. ROE always calls for "Posative Identification", or PID. This requires that you identify the target as a threat before you engage it, even if it takes away from valuable reaction time. Well, this gametype has recreated PID by making the humans and ghosts look alike and carry the same weapons. You have to take that valuable split second to see if your reticule turns red or green on a target. It's a subtle differance that totally changes the feel of the game. I love the idea. It didn't quite work with the red names, but with some adjustments I believe it has potential as a new kind of game.

Enjoyability: 7/10
    Durability: 4/10
    Aesthetics: 6/10
    Origionality: 8/10
    Balance: 2/10

Pred's Overall Score: 5/10
    [​IMG]

18. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

uh-oh. Now I gotta feel like a bad guy here. I agree with all of Cosmic and Predicide's negative comments, and almost none of their positive ones..except for Predicide's Rules of Engagement thing. That is pretty cool, if only the gametype was more balanced though.

This map could have used a lot more cleaning up with interlocking and maybe even reworking the layout design. Definately take out those stairs and block off the rest of the map. Weapons would be nice, but if this was made before the unlimited budget glitch, then I'll cut you some slack.

I did like the vents though, the whole game I think I only saw one guy up there... so I had a definate advantage. But it could be made better with interlocking and maybe some decoration as well. As for the Ghosts gametype: not only is it unbalanced, but the map for it is unbalanced as well. I suggest making the ghosts much, much stronger; removing access to the roof, maybe replacing it with another vent system; and taking out the stairs and blocking off the rest of the map from use.

Overall: 5/10
    [​IMG]
    Enjoyment: 4/10
    Durability: 4/10
    Aesthetics: 4/10
    Design: 6/10
    Originality: 5/10
    Balance: 5/10

19. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Squidhands' Furiously Tentacular Review

[​IMG]

Poor, poor Furious. Between the gametype being too easy to kill the 'ghost' and the fact that we never hung around inside the actual house, he never had a chance as the initial ghost spawn.
    Fortunately I did a forgethrough a few times before we actually played the game. Otherwise the only thing I'd be able to comment on was the roof and the awning over the porch. The basement area is awesome. There's a really nice feel to it and the elevator where you can get off on the main floor or continue up to the roof is a great idea and well executed. The main floor seems rather empty, but I'm not too sure what you could do to fill it up aesthetically and still be able to move around. The porch area works; at first I was kind of put off by the rather un-straight fence, but then I though, "it's a haunted house, stupid. It's supposed to look rickety". So, it works, whether you intended to do it that way or not. The sneaky way in above the porch didn't work for me the two times I tried to destroy the pallet beneath the crate; it just got stuck in the opening both times. I didn't try it when we played the actual game; Rick was hiding in there.
    The roof felt a little sloppy, even taking into account the 'intentionally rickety' factor. This is where most of us spent our time, and the ghost was easy pickings from here. My suggestion would be to make this area a lot less accessible to the humans somehow, especially from the outside of the house. Maybe make it an attic instead of a roof, with only one way up. Most ghosts live in the attic anyway, so maybe make that an initial spawning point for him and lose the out of the map spawns.
    I was really disappointed with how easy it was for us to break the map. Games that rely too heavily on honor rules tend to have the outcome of last night's game. You may be out of objects to use as a larger fence, but you might seriously want to look into that.
    As far as the gametype goes, it was waaaay too easy to kill the ghost. I'd recommend changing this. Being so outnumbered by the humans didn't give the ghost a chance to infect anyone. I'm pretty sure NeverlessWonder felt bad for Furious and finally went inside to get killed. Having all the players be white was a good idea, but it didn't really make it any easier for the ghost to be camouflaged, due to the friendly/enemy color change of the player name.
    So all in all, some work needs to be done to make this a little more enjoyable for everyone. I think if you do something about the fence and tweak the gametype a little, you could be on to something.

Enjoyment: [​IMG]
    - I had fun, but for all the wrong reasons.

Durability: [​IMG]
    - I'm sorry to say that this failed. Being able to get out of the map was way too easy.

Aesthetics: [​IMG]
    - Definitley looks like a haunted house, complete with rickety fence. The basement is great, and I loved the elevator. I only wish I could have used them more. Maybe change convert the roof into an enclosed attic to prevent easy access from outside.

Originality: [​IMG]
    - This was an interesting take on the overdone Zombie gametype. I liked the idea of camouflaging the ghost among the humans. I'd recommend changing the ghost's durability and make him a little harder to kill.

Balance: [​IMG]
    - Again, this was an unfortunate failure. Even though Infection is by nature an unbalanced, it was far too easy to kill the ghost. We could have gone all night keeping him at bay.

Overall: [​IMG]

I guess I'm the bad guy now...

20. JediWithASniper

JediWithASniper Ancient

The Furious Review

By: JediWithASniper

Here are my ratings and review.

Enjoyment 4 out of 10

Balance 4 out of 10

Durability 5 out of 10

Aesthetics 5 out of 10

Originality 4 out of 10

I must say, as a total Zombie fanatic, I was hyped to play this map, but as soon as it began, it slowly became more, and more of a disappointment. I did not really enjoy this map that much, when you first spawn as a human, you think "wow, this is cool!", but you slowly begin to realize that this map should not be used for Zombies at all. Once again, we have the problem of balance, I say, there is none. From the beginning, this was just a Zombie slaughter, Furious was the unlucky first Zombie, and once we were bored with killing him, we began to wander outside of the house in hopes that the round would end quickly.

Well, this map had a very awesome looking elevator shaft to get to the roof, but that's about it, and even that did not work properly. Nine out of ten times that you use the shaft, you get stuck, dangling between the ground and the ceiling, until you are either shot, or released by some magical force. This map looked quite good from a first glance, and I can imagine that it's construction took well over 20 hours, but it desperately falls short in some major areas. I did not really think that the map was too original, with so many haunted houses, mansions, government buildings being produced, it just seemed like another attempt. The gametype seemed to be the only truly original idea, but it did not work, you could see who the Zombies were from a mile away by just looking at them. A big flashing red sign appears over their head saying "shoot me! shoot me!"

My Overall Rating Is: 4 out of 10