Hangar Lockdown

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by Fauch, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Fauch

Fauch Ancient

Gamertag : o0Fauch0oo

my 3rd map. a hangar with a spaceship in it. it is possible to enter the spaceship. the pictures don't really do it justice :( the spaceship may look a bit special, but in the end, I think it doesn't look too bad. I fear the map may be a bit too open. it wasn't really a problem in timesplitters, and you can hide behind landing gears, but in timesplitters it was with bots...

there is also a custom gametype : Hangar TDM

[​IMG]
    front view of the spaceship

[​IMG]
    tower

[​IMG]
    inside the spaceship

[​IMG]
    another tower

[​IMG]
    front view again

[​IMG]
    bridge

[​IMG]
    rear view of the spaceship

[​IMG]
    landing gears (actually, I may redesign them)

[​IMG]
    overview. a tower at each corner, linked by bridges (dark grey lines) and the spaceship in the center.

#1 Fauch, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I like the look of this fauch. Nice countdown/spaceship theme. Could be a cool competitive map, as long as those bridges are balanced. I'd like to see this in game please.

3. Kazerra

Kazerra I Beat the Staff!

You're right in saying the pictures don't do the map justice, because I gave it a download and it looks a lot nicer than it is on here. The layout looks nice and simple, with plenty of space to move around in. The bottom level in the middle also includes plenty of cover, so players won't feel vulnerable when traversing across it.

I was slightly worried about the spaceship interior, however. Aesthetically, it looks fine, but gameplay-wise I think it's too campable. There are only three, tight entrances which can be easily guarded, in my opinion. You might want to open it up a bit - perhaps take away its walls?

I was also worried by the framerate issues. I noticed your budget was pretty much maxed out and that all your pieces had been used, but maybe you could swap some pieces out for some more suitable ones?

For example, using the Impact-specific UNSC buildings as flooring will cause the game to render the whole object, even though you can only see the top part of it. Also, overlapping the buildings will cause more lag.

I don't know how you could do it, but I highly recommend fiddling around with the pieces and seeing what would work better. It'd help with the lag, improving gameplay.

4. Fauch

Fauch Ancient

despite the windows?

impact corridors are better for flooring? I was happy with the UNSC building because it looked quite homogenous. and the color fits well.

I posted a new version on my fileshare. landing gears are differents.

#4 Fauch, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  5. Kazerra

Kazerra I Beat the Staff!

To me, the windows aren't enough because there are still small pieces of wall players can hide behind. I do like your choice of flooring because the UNSC pieces have nice textures to them, however I think they cause a lot of framerate issues. The same holds true for the Station pieces, because they're made of glass. I recommend swapping out the floor with standard building blocks or coliseum walls just to save on framerate - aesthetically, it will be worse.

It's up to you if you want to make the changes. I'll check out your new version.

6. Fauch

Fauch Ancient

I don't have enough items left for that. I can basically only use impact specific items.

7. Redy

Redy Hipster

I just Loved your TV, my Hipster friend. <3

Go ahead with the map, whatever, just dont sell your monitor.

#7 Redy, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  8. Fauch

Fauch Ancient

it looks like fileshares work again, so you can download the V1.1

9. Fauch

Fauch Ancient

I made a video

there are no major changes. actually the ordnances are different from what is shown on the video.
    I also added CTF.

#9 Fauch, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013