Halo: Reach Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Vincent Torre, Mar 3, 2010.

1. DMM White

DMM White Ancient

Hurray, infinite AAs!

So, Air-Grifball (Double-O Doonut?) is now possible. Predator gametypes will be cooler. New gametypes for making a safe path through a dangerous area using Drop Shields. Cool.

Wait... does that mean that we will able to hop in a vehicle and drive the flag home, like in Halo CE? I'm pretty sure in Halo 3 even if you allowed the flag carrier to drive vehicles, they'd just drop it as soon as they got in.
    I'd love to see spartans driving along with one hand grasping the flag!

2. CAPNxXxCANT

CAPNxXxCANT Forerunner

Yea, but if this option is turned on, you better not let the carrier get his hands on a tank or banshee, that wouldn't be too fun

3. Zee-V70

Zee-V70 Ancient

Has there been any discussion on what the blurred Elite armors could be?
    Currently, we've got Spec-Ops, Officer (limited/legendary edition), Ranger, Minor (default), Ultra, and Zealot armors shown one way or another. That leaves two blurred-out spaces left. imo, they will either end up being Councilor, Arbiter, Honor Guard, Heretic, or Ascetic armor. What about you guys?

4. Playerhata27

Playerhata27 Ancient

This update definitely cleared alot up. One thing that stood out for me oddly enough is the fact that now in a flying vehicle (Falcon for Bungie's "example") hitting RB will lock the vehicles altitude, pretty much letting you hover at the same height but from horizontally. Which seems like a huge improvement allowing so much more versatility will piloting one. Here is the exact quote.

Also, now I might think that's only a feature with the falcon, that would seem awkward with a banshee but who knows. Also, that map seems amazing. Seems like the first vertically huge map ever, in any game I can think of. Sounds awesome.

Edit: And here's one more quote from the update that sounds spectacular. Notice how he says 'the largest expanse of multiplayer ground ever to be covered in a Halo game"? Truly sounds epic.

#1904 Playerhata27, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  5. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Reach has already reached and gone beyond fan's expectations... and it's not even released yet.

6. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Yes crypto, they have complicated and taken away and ruined so many more aspects than i could possibly have expected ;)
    About half of what they added is a fail, but ill probably enjoy it like none other if the forge is as good as bungie wont say it is.

7. CAPNxXxCANT

CAPNxXxCANT Forerunner

Exactly what is "fail" in your opinion?

8. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Armor abilities are useless, aggrivating, and overcomplicated. Space battle is useless, aggrivating, and overcomplicatd. New assassination is useless, too flashy, and overcomplicated. Inability to ninja is just plain stupid. New ranking system being just like CoD and not taking skill to level up is also stupid. The new physics are absoloutly atrocious in comparision, its too realistic, the new medals look like horsepiss, and all in all bungie managed to overcomplicate it.

The reason that Halo has been so successful is the ease it takes to learn how to play, how simple it is to just pick up and go and be decent with no training or knowledge of the game. Complicating it by adding useless things may make it look a hell of a lot cooler in footage, but it isnt nearly as fun to play. It isnt nearly as skill oriented either, and because of what bungie has done we will most likely never get another game like the original halo trilogy EVER. Which means that Halo 2 will still be the best test of actual video game skill. And no game will ever threaten it, because every company will try to copy Reach's incredible sales by incorperating the over-complications into their own game.

/flame. Ill still enjoy reach either way, but it wont be the same as the original three. Ever.

9. Sgt Surchin

you have the option to use a regular assassination you know right? the animation only occurs if you hold the melee button, but if you just tap it you have a good ole' fashioned ninja

10. CAPNxXxCANT

CAPNxXxCANT Forerunner

And if by physic you mean jumping and running speed from the beta, I'm pretty confudent they fixed it toware it's mor like halo 3. I do agree with you about the ranking system, but I think armor abilities are pretty cool

11. Playerhata27

Playerhata27 Ancient

Reach was originally announced to be a totally different take on Halo. Having Halo in it's name doesn't mean it's to be an exact successor with more things pertaining to your opinion. Honestly, I wouldn't like a Halo 4 with the same overall foreground of Halo 2/ Halo 3 just better. Reach is something different yet familiar.

Plus, I hate commenting on the game's integrity from a 3-week beta and a handful of insightful videos. I think the best way to judge the game is when you have it and play it, not when you see it.

12. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

I think Bungie did a great job keeping them simple actually. Some of them are going to be aggravating as **** though, you're right about that.

Space battles are useless, pointless, and exactly the same as every other flying mission we've ever seen in Halo except with different scenery. They practically confirmed that it isn't that different from a Banshee mission in yesterday's update.

Assassination animations are amusing, unnecessary, and not at all forced on you. Not worth any hype, but amusing.

They've upped the jump height (and run speed) since beta. We'll hopefully be able to pull ninjas off again.

Oh come on. You've got one ranking system (Arena) that is not at all like CoD and is based on skill. Then you've got a cosmetic CoD style ranking system that just puts a symbol by your name and unlocks new clothes for you to play dress up with. Matchmaking in both Arena and Standard still uses Halo 3 style TrueSkill, but without much incentive to make new accounts and derank.

This is just taste I guess. I don't care either way about the medals and didn't notice anything too bad about the physics.

Reach is just as simple to pick up and play as Halo 3 was. Probably more so actually. As I said before, AAs are simple and anyone should be able to understand them within seconds of using one. Assassinations are a hell of a lot cooler to look at, which is exactly why those pick up and play for the first time people will love them. At the same time they don't step on the toes of people who want to play competitively.

Halo 2 wasn't complicated so it was the best test of skill? Are you kidding? Button glitches were the very definition of complicated. Nobody was picking up the game and figuring those out right away. I won't dispute that Halo 2 was more skilled than Halo 3, and it very well could turn out to be more skilled than Reach, but it isn't a good example of simplicity. Halo CE, on the other hand...

13. Short Bizzle

Short Bizzle Ancient

*Brain Explosion*
    I don't even know where to begin with this one. I'm not gonna say anything except that you can edit all the traits you have a problem with. Make a gametype called "Halo 2", invite some friends, and have fun.

Shout out to the best customs EVERRRRRR!!

14. LIGHTSOUT225

Agreed. Reach will be king for a long time because of its incredible versatility and ridiculous amount of customization. Halo 3 already has a crazy stupid amount of customization, and Reach absolutely puts it to shame. And because of that, its pretty dumb to complain. Not to mention its by far the best bargain of a video game in console gaming history. Nowhere else will you find a game that offers so much for so little. Its completely unprecedented.

15. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

Check this out: Opinion.

Everything you hate about Reach, I love. Everything you liked thats gone, I hated.

Continue to play Halo 3. I'll be loving my turn in Halo: Reach.

16. CombatGam3r

CombatGam3r Ancient

Strategy. If you don't want them, oh wait you don't have a choice!

If only Bungie tried something new and original, I mean, i'm sure CoD has already cornered the space battle market. /Sarcasm

Then don't do it.

You were one those people that complained about speed/gravity weren't you? Damn you.

I'll give you that one.

Edit Options > Player Movement > Player Speed + Player Gravity.

Basically challenges. And the medals changes along with the game. They kinda looked..."Reachy"

“Without change there is no innovation, creativity, or incentive for improvement."
    -William Pollard

17. CAPNxXxCANT

CAPNxXxCANT Forerunner

Alright, I believe we have put down death yoyo's post enough. A different subject? Like the ability to press RB and stay at the same altitude in a falcon?

18. Zee-V70

Zee-V70 Ancient

Someone should make a puzzle map that involves a falcon barely being between two death barriers that forces you to fly at the same altitude to the other side.

19. MetaWaddleDee

MetaWaddleDee Ancient

Screw the Falcon! Sliding between two death barriers with the jetpack would be a much better puzzle!

20. Chipsinabox

Chipsinabox Ancient

I'm excited about zombies with infinite sprint.