Halo: Reach Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Vincent Torre, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

[​IMG]

Reach Launches Sept 14th. Let's pretend like that's the day you "got it". We all know it's out there but don't ruin it here.

Halo: Reach is a prequel of sorts. It does not follow our usual hero, Spartan-117, but instead follows a squad of new Spartans, Team Noble. The group consists of 5 Spartan-III’s and one remaining Spartan-II. You will be playing the role of Noble 6.

Noble team consists of
    • Noble Six (S-312)
    • Kat (S-320)
    • Carter (S-259)
    • Emile (S-239)
    • Jun (S-266)
    • The remaining Spartan-II: Jorge (S-052)

From the beginning we know the end; Reach is destroyed by a fleet of covenant. What we don’t know is the impact of the Spartan forces leading to the destruction.

Reach is the location of the UNSC's largest and most active shipyard. It is also where the UNSC's most elite troops, the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers, are trained. Reach is also the largest non-automated exporter of titanium. ε Eridani's superior interstellar jump point has been the most active S-F space transfer zone (arrivals and departures) for over thirty years, with ε Eridani's inferior IJP and Sol's superior IJP regularly trading second and third place spots.

What’s New:
    • Elites return as enemies
    • Skirmishers, kin of Jackals, make an appearance as stronger close range enemies
    • The number of AI has increased significantly, with “dumb” AI off in the distance but when you approach them they turn into “Smart” AI with which you can interact with.
    • The level sizes will be significantly increased with multiple missions per level allowing you to choose how to approach them
    • Grunts, Jackal, and Brutes will all be appearing again
    • UNSC Army soldiers will also be included alongside the Marines

Vehicles:

• Falcon: A driveable Warthog of the sky. Seats 2 gunners.
    • Warthog : Comes in 3 flavors. Regular, Gauss, and Rocket hog.
    • Ghost
    • Mongoose
    • Banshee
    • Wraith
    • Scorpion
    • Revenant (Smaller more agile wraith sec vehicle that requires a gunner)
    • Being able to drive civilian vehicles. Forklifts!

All the vehicles can be seen here: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-reach-discussion/98790-reach-vehicle-discussion.html

New Weapons

Halo: Reach attempts to revitalize what made Halo: CE so iconic. They bring back some old favorites along with some new variations.

• Assault Rifle: Much closer to the Halo: CE version, can actually kill.
    • DMR: (Designated Marksman Rifle) Headshot Machine 3x scope, single shot, 15 shot clip. Also known as BR 2.0
    • Needler Rifle: Covenant equivalent of the DMR supposedly, 3x needles for super combine
    • Sniper Rifle : All it's normal awesomeness
    • Plasma Pistol: Holy ****. Amazing.
    • Magnum (2x Zoom, Feels like Halo: CE pistol, accuracy decreases greatly at high rate of fire)
    • Shotgun : A shotgun that actually feels like a shotgun
    • Grenade Launcher : Point and shoot, or hold down to wait for the perfect time
    • Rocket Launcher : Rockets track vehicles, and fire faster
    • Needler : Same needler, more awesome
    • Plasma Repeater : Like the plasma rifle but needs to be vented
    • Energy Sword : Swings faster but can be blocked by a well timed melee
    • Plasma Grenades : Sticky sticy
    • Frag Grenades : Click Click Boom. Damage reduced from beta.
    • Plasma Launcher : Click and hold to prime a set of tracking sticky grenades.
    • Gravity Hammer : Like the Halo 3 version but more reliable and less knockback radius
    • Covenant Focus Rifle : Replacement for the sentinal beam and Beam Rifle. Shoots a purple stream of death. Don't cross the streams!
    • Concussion Rifle : Covenenant answer for the Grenade Launcher without the EMP and with more concussive blow.
    • Target Locator : Point where you want to send a massive blast from the skies. Kinda reminds me of some from gea... i mean it's totally original and awesome.

View all the weapons here: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-reach-discussion/102322-most-anticipated-new-weapon-reach.html

Armor Abilities
    • Jetpack : Soar like an eagle, or like a clay pigeon, whatever.
    • Sprint : Run like the Flash.
    • Active Camo : Turns you invisible depending on your movement speed. Also deafens you and radar jamar like effects.
    • Lockdown : Makes you temporarily invulnerable and pops a EMP after a second.
    • Evade : Do a barrel roll!
    • Drop Shield : Drop a destroyable bubble shield that restores health when you're in it. Watch out though because you'll take damage if you're in it when it pops.
    • Hologram : A friend you can talk to or use it to trick the opponents

Forge

Making this their best game yet, Bungie went back and rebuilt forge with tons of new features. With these new features Bungie gave us a forgers wet dream, Forge World. With 10000 dollars to spend and over 150 items to spend it on, this is truly the best forging canvas ever. With many unique locations you're able to build essentially anything anywhere.

Shipping with several maps including two remakes, Ascension and Blood Gulch/Coagulation. Forge world is easy to use and it's a certainty that amazing things are going to come from it.

[​IMG]

The Maps

Multiplayer Maps

• Sword Base (beta map)
    [​IMG]

• Powerhouse (beta map)
    [​IMG]

• Reflection (Remake of Ivory Tower)
    [​IMG]

Forge World includes
    • The Cage (Predecessor to Lockout, by the same guy)
    [​IMG]

• Hemorrhage (Coagulation/Blood Gulch)
    [​IMG]

• Pinnacle (Ascension)
    [​IMG]

• Zealot (It's like midship except not at all. Also you can go into SPACE!)
    [​IMG]

Invasion Maps
    • Boneyard
    [​IMG]

• Spire
    [​IMG]

Firefight Maps
    • Overlook
    [​IMG]

• Courtyard
    [​IMG]

• Beachhead
    [​IMG]

• Waterfront
    [​IMG]

• Nightfall
    [​IMG]

All the new maps can be seen here: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-reach-discussion/103192-halo-reach-maps-list.html

New Gametypes
    •Headhunter
    Kill enemies, collect skulls, don’t die, return skulls, win.
    [​IMG]

•Stockpile
    Described as capture the flag meets territories. Collect neutral flags and bring them to territories to capture them.
    [​IMG]

•Generator Defense
    3 spartans versus 3 elites. Elites try and destroy the three generators, Spartans try and defend them. Random weapons are dropped in at the beginning of each round that the players will have a chance to collect. The generators can be locked down for 30 seconds, but then must cool down.
    [​IMG]

•Invasion
    A 6v6 vehicle and heavy weapon kill-fest. Likely to be Spartans vs Elites, but not much else is known about this gametype yet. It plays on boneyard, which is also the only Beta map to feature vehicles. Should be awesome.

Returning Gametypes

Most of the old gametypes will be returning, though a few like assault have yet to be mentioned

•Capture the Flag

•King of the Hill

•Slayer

•Slayer Pro (Sprint only, DMR/Needler Rifle Starts, no radar)

•Three Plots (Halo 2 style territories)

Follow the Latest Halo: Reach news on Bungie.net or their official Reach Page

You can also follow the Reach Development Blog

#1 Vincent Torre, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

You have Kats picture under Juns name. I don't think the Spirit was confirmed for MP, and I don't know that there will be a fuel rod gun (but there is that new Covenant "mystery gun") otherwise, good thread. It's nice seeing all this info in one place.

3. Panncakez

Panncakez Forerunner

Good job. You might just want to add a bit more detail like I did in mine, though. People dig the specifics. Good luck carrying on this thread!

4. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Yup I forgot to fix that before I copied it to this forum. I'll edit that it looks like the fuel rod cannon is tweaked to be 3 shots with vehicle tracking.

Feel free to suggest anymore additions.

5. KratosAurion777

KratosAurion777 Ancient

In the video, it seems like there are 2 other new/improved guns:
    - at ~1:04, the gun appears to be some kind of grenade launcher. It is certainly not the standard rocket launcher (which makes an appearance at ~1:11), and it has a completely new reload animation, so I would suspect that it is a new gun altogether...
    - at ~1:17, there is a (new?) gun that appears to fire a steady beam. The beam looks too small to be a Spartan Laser, but the gun doesn't really match the profile of a Sentinel Beam either, not to mention that the beam is purple as opposed to being red or orange.

Also, a possible addition to the "What's New" section would be the "perks"/load-outs that are available. From the video, it looks like they include jet-packs, active camouflage, and some sort of vehicle deflection device.

Edit: Ah, you already had the grenade launcher on the weapons list... I missed it.

6. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

So I was watching the video some more and I noticed there's some armor loadout that wasn't ever used in the video:

[​IMG]

Any ideas of what this might be?

7. CaptnSTFU

CaptnSTFU Ancient

Radar jammer lolz honestly idk, perhaps thats the personal shield emblem?

8. AnthraXe187

AnthraXe187 Guest

I think the loadout, what appears to be an eye, is a mobile radar jammer. But instead of showing random red dots, it might just remove you from the enemies radar.

9. Insane54

Insane54 Ancient

I'm 90% sure that's not a radar jammer in the video. If you go frame by frame there's actually like 12 people right next to him.

10. PRS

PRS Ancient

Whatever it may be, it specifically for elites, or more selective for elites because at 0:33, 0:47, and 1:10 the player has this armor ability and they all are elites players, so they might have different abilities for whatever faction you're playing as.

I think it has to do with radar, posssibly shows camoflauged enemies uncamaflauged with the baility activetad. Or some sort of radar jammer to the specific player.

#10 PRS, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  11. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Nope that's a shield with a lock in it:
    [​IMG]

Well 0:33 is clearly an elite but I'm not so sure about 0:47 and 1:10. I think you're onto something though.

I doubt it's a radar jammer, I think they learned their lesson with that one.

Also the scene where there's 9 blips on the radar, notice there's no friendlies so it's probably FFA, especially judging by his orange color.

12. PRS

PRS Ancient

Well at 0:47, look at the team at the bottom right corner. Spartans and Elites obviously. The player is on the elite's side with the arrow. And the one at 1:10 is very hard to decide with faction he/she may belong to, but at 1:11 if you examine the video carefully a knee will pop up after the generator blows up and the player goes to land from jumping. I believe that looks more covenant to me thatn spartan, but if it truly is a spartan, then my thoery on the influece that the player's race on par to armor abilities is wrong.

13. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

I can see your point. Maybe that's the loadout for a barrel roll which is why only elites have them?

14. PRS

PRS Ancient

I don't really think an eye as a symbol would correctly represent doing a barrel roll, maybe a picture of Peppy Hare can better represent "DO A BARREL ROLL!" Lol :D. But it' possible you can be right, and if you are I can't clearly see Bungie's reasoning for the symbol.

15. viprikr

viprikr Ancient

IS there gonna be forging??

16. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

It's not an eye, it's clearly an oval with two arrows on the left and right. The only icon that has an eye is the active camo which has a triangle with an eye in it.

Edit: One more thing, you were right about them all being elites with that ability, as noticed by the fact that elites show 5 health bars instead of the spartan's 5

Almost certainly. How much they give us is the question, but forge has been mentioned in several articles so far.

#16 Vincent Torre, Mar 4, 2010
  17. RaVNzCRoFT

RaVNzCRoFT Ancient

Multiplayer beta trailer:

"Revenge" medal confirmed.

"Plasma Kill" medal from past campaigns confirmed.

18. PRS

PRS Ancient

[​IMG]
    Yes you're right, I see the arrows now. You could be right with the barrel roll ability, but it looks like that the only ability elites can acquire.

And I didn't realize the health bars were different until you pointed that out, good find. Also supports my thesis.

19. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Here's a really spectacular breakdown of the video from Bungie.net Bungie.net : Halo: Reach Forum : My Multiplayer Trailer Observations
    00:07 - Halo 3-type Scorpion, with a second person operating the machine gun turret, confirmed.

00:08 - Direct melee combat? Otherwise, must be the finishing move on a newly shown stealth assassination.

00:10 - First actual observation of jetpacks, hard to notice in the action of the scene at first.

00:11 - Dodging armor ability. First example seen of Elites demonstrating an ability.

00:14 - Selectable loadouts for armor abilities confirmed. Have sprint, cloaking and jetpack abilities on display here. Also, looks like there's a night-time multiplayer map.

00:15 - Much more translucent Hill in King of the Hill, visibility out of the Hill looks vastly improved from Halo 3. Really cool new water effects on display here. Much greater detail on player's arm when throwing grenades. Match action info now says specifically how one player killed the other, in this case grenades. New multiplayer medal, "First Strike" for scoring the first kill of the match. Though shown in King of the Hill, it's likely a medal that applies to the other game modes as well. Finally, specific area designation beneath the motion tracker now. Should make for easier call-outs in team games, for sure.

00:18 - Nice display of jetpack in action, icon noted on motion tracker. You get pretty good height off of it, looks like nearly three times the distance of Halo 3's jump, although it isn't as fast as a regular jump. Seems to gain speed a bit at the end of its use. Based on the accurate shooting, doesn't look like you have to hold the ability button down, just tap it. Control your momentum with the movement stick from there. Guessing the tap-only functionality goes for the other armor abilities as well, but that is speculation on my part.

00:22 - Ghost confirmed, lol. First sighting of gameplay in the new Invasion mode, a bit before the trailer announces it. First sighting of the what I'm referring to as the Lockdown armor ability in action, for lack of an official name, icon noted on motion tracker. Whatever it's called, seems to make the player briefly impervious to damage or physics effects, evidenced by the Ghost's failed boosting attempt at the player, causing it to crash as though it had ran straight into a wall. A pack on the character's back designates he has this ability. Finally, notice the "PWNY" and "KBUL" callsigns, looks like Reach is going with ODST's more flexible approach to those.

00:25 - Gravity Hammer confirmed. New multiplayer medal Pull!, seems to be earned by killing an airborne enemy. Speaking of, looks like the medals for headshots from Halo 3 Campaign Scoring and ODST Firefight are in multiplayer finally.

00:27 - Looks like there's no fall damage...follow-up action shots seem to confirm this.

00:28 - Rocket Launcher confirmed, lol.

00:30 - Cool shot of cloaking in action being used to no-scope a guy with the Sniper Rifle. Icon shown on motion tracker. Interesting to note the readout on the scope after the shot is fired.

00:31 - Another new special assassination move.

00:32 - First view of playing as an Elite in multiplayer. Interesting note, the Elites health bar is different, only five modules counting from center outward, as opposed to nine for the Spartans. Cool view of the armor abilities' recharge status displayed on teammates. The player's own armor ability icon is interesting here. Though not shown in use directly from first-person, I believe it must be the dodging ability seen elsewhere in the trailer, as it is the only ability Elites are shown using, and this is the only armor ability icon Elites are shown sporting in the trailer. Look for it again on the Elite player at the 1:09 time-stamp later on in the trailer. Icon beyond the player's partner seems to indicate an objective in Invasion, look for this also at the 1:09 time-stamp. Finally, looks like the camera does pan out if you are being stealth assassinated after all.

00:34 - CTF flag will be keeping its style from Halo 3.

00:40 - New game mode Invasion announced. Doesn't make clear exactly how the mode works, other than it seems to be a team of Spartans versus a team of Elites, though the Elites coming in decked out with Covenant vehicles seems suggestive, never mind the Phantom sighting. No surprise, but the Wraith is Halo 3 style, just like the Scorpion.

00:44 - Grenade Launcher in action, seems like it must be pretty fast to be able to take out a Banshee.

00:45 - Lol, great ragdoll action, that Spartan falls flat on his ass. Cool "rusted" sort of look to some multiplayer medals. Maybe all of them, but if so it hasn't been clear on the others shown up to this point. Another icon like at 00:32 shown, but different. Not clear what this designates yet, maybe a separate kind of objective. Could indicate that Invasion has the Elite team tasked with accomplishing multiple, different objectives.

00:46 - Finally a sighting of the heavy weapon from the mystery sound. Lock-on mechanism. Runs on a battery. Fires a barrage of three shots. Each shot uses about 6% of the battery, using about 20% of the battery a barrage. Looks like a total of five barrages based on that figure. For lack of an official name, does seem to be a "Plasma Grenade Launcher." Finally, worth noting the "Invasion Slayer" gametype, indication of multiple Invasion gametypes incorporating existing gametype rules. The objectives I noted in 00:32 and 00:45 would seem to indicate the default Invasion gametype is objective -based if this is true.

00:52 - Headhunter gametype announced. Seems to be based on killing other players with headshots, making them drop a flaming skull for you to collect. Killing a player makes them drop all the skulls they have collected. Presumably the first person to collect the target number of skulls wins the game. Considering the player shown carrying eight skulls is not shown having scored, perhaps it is a round-based gametype, collect the target number of skulls to earn a point and win the round. Will have to wait for more details to confirm this, just conjecturing.

00:57 - Active Roster announced. No clear indication of what it means, but the team-centric focus in the name and visuals suggest at some sort of clan functionality again. Can't be sure on this one.

1:00 - Contrary to what it looks like, this is not a Radar Jammer armor ability in action. If you go to the scene following this one, then back up to the last frame of this scene and count, there are 12 blips, the player and 11 enemies. Counting the enemy the player sniped in this scene, that makes 13 players total, which we've seen before. Scrolling the player marker back and forth, tracking the blips, you can see this to be the case. The fast moving enemy indicated behind the player is likely using the Sprinting ability.

1:04 - Special medal awarded. Considering the enemy killed was attempting to start swinging the Grav Hammer, I'm assuming this is the Bull-True equivalent for killing someone in the middle of a hammer swing.

1:07 - Spartans vs Elites announced. After looking this over, I believe it is a team game setting, not a gametype in itself. Can choose to turn on if you want, making one team Spartans and the other Elites, each having their own respective capabilities. So, alter a Team Slayer game to SvE Team Slayer, Multi-Flag CTF to SvE Multi-Flag CTF, etc. Speculating however, will need to wait for confirmation on this.

1:09 - Brand new, unnamed objective gametype revealed centered around players destroying generators. This would make the first gametype that requires players to damage something besides other players to score points. Given the listings of Generators A and C we can assume there is a B as well, for a total of three generators. This is likely the default number for the gametype, although additional generators could be a customizable option for the gametype. The bar besides the generator listings looks like health bar for the respective generator. You'll notice the generator the player targets, C, is low at low health, and respectively the generator itself is glowing brightly in the player's view, a visual cue of it's weakened state most likely. Look carefully in the glare above the Rocket Launcher and you can make out the HUD marker for Generator A. Note the player is an Elite, the different health bar is the easiest way to tell, although there are other cues. Further, he has the same armor ability icon as the Elite player at 00:32. As I mentioned at that time-stamp, given that this is the only armor ability icon shown, and dodging is the only ability we see Elites performing in the trailer, I believe this icon is therefore that of the dodging ability.

1:15 - The Arena announced. As far as can be told, it's the name of the map players are shown fighting on.

1:16 -Wicked-looking new Covenant sustained beam weapon. Likely a replacement for the Sentinel Beam.

1:17 - New multiplayer medal, Revenge! shown. Indicated that it is awarded for having your first kill after respawning be on the player that had killed you.

1:19 - Another example of why it seems fall damage is out. The player is dropping quite a ways and only has the Sprint ability, so nothing to break the fall.

Overall, looks like four maps. The industrial site map (plenty of area tags like "smelter"), the night-time map, the spillway map and the high-tech The Arena map.
    Armor ability count is up to five: sprinting, cloaking, jet pack, bubble shield and dive rolling.

And again, two new gametypes: Invasion and Headhunter, as well as a Spartans vs Elites game mode option.

Took awhile to get through all of that, whew. Hope this helps guys!

I've been updating with corrections and new details as they have come up. Thanks go out to some guys on this thread for mentioning a few of these.

#19 Vincent Torre, Mar 4, 2010
  20. Jimbodawg

Jimbodawg Ancient