Halo 4 Helmet Criticism

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by KingGuerilla55, Nov 2, 2012.

1. KingGuerilla55

KingGuerilla55 Promethean

Now that the Halo 4 Interactive Guide is up and running I thought I would go through the Armory and discuss and rate each helmet.

Armor can be found at the Halo 4 Interactive Guide.

I am super excited to play Halo 4, this is just my critique of the available armor, specifically helmets. This is just my opinion, so please be civil in your responses.

Air Assault - Definitely an upgrade from Reach, it's far less feminine now, which I think is a plus. - 9/10

Aviator - Not sure what to think of this one. Could be cool, but has a very 'Gas Mask-y' feel to it. - 5/10

C.I.O. - Spiritually successor to the Reach Operator helmet. Still an homage to the Splinter Cell games, but I prefer the Reach version. - 7/10

Commando - WHAT DID THEY DO TO IT?! IT'S TOO BOXY!! - 1/10

Defender - Seems to be the evolution to JFO, but again, very boxy. - 4/10

E.O.D. - Retro time peeps. This seems like a downgrade back to the Halo 3 version, not the Stormtrooper awesomeness from Reach. Fail. - 2/10

Enforcer - I really don't know what to think of this one. New take on Reach's Grenedier? - 4/10

E.V.A. - Less fish-bowl-y! Never been a favorite of mine, but doesn't look bad. - 8/10

Gungnir - Not as bulky as Reach, looks imposing now instead of square. - 7/10

Hazop - It's constant sad face. - 2/10

Infiltrator - ???????????????? - 1/10

Mark VI - Classic. 10/10

Oceanic - Definitely an ode to Bioshock's Big Daddy's. Seems kinda gimmicy, but not bad aesthetically. 7/10

Orbital - I don't think Emile would be caught dead in this. 3/10

Protector - Looks like a more agressive Air Assault, could be cool, but the jury is still out. - 5/10

Raider - Seems to be inspired by Samurai mask or mempo. Those side horn things are... odd. - 5/10

Ranger - What is up with this? - 1/10

Recon - Classic. 10/10

Recruit - *cough* ODST *cough* - 10/10

Scout - The Halo 3 version returns. I prefer Reach's, it seemed more grounded in reality than this version. 5/10

Soldier - Raccoon face, but agressive looking. Could be worse. - 6/10

Vanguard - Odd. - 1/10

Venator - Deadspace fans rejoice! - 8/10

War Master - Skull molded in the visor? I like - 8/10

Warrior - Reminds me of paint ball gun gear. 5/10

Wetwork - Hayabusa returns with a slit for a visor. - 8/10

Operator - This is not operator, this is a take on Reach's Security helm, and a mediocre one at that. - 6/10

Pioneer - Weird and insect-like. - 2/10

Pathfinder - Angular, agressive, sharp. This might be my new favorite. - 10/10

Engineer - Deadspace fans rejoice part duex! - 6/10

Stalker - The chestpiece is pretty sweet, I can't decide... - 5/10

Rogue - More angular version of E.V.A., this could be a new fan favorite. - 9/10

Tracker - Splinter Cell again?! - 3/10

Deadeye - Predator-like. - 9/10

Locus - Ode to Gears of War and the skull like visage is awesome. - 10/10

Scanner - Jordy LaForge to Engineering, stat! - 6/10

Strider - If E.V.A. and Operator had a baby. - 5/10

Fotus - Gundam style? - 7/10

The one thing that really bugs me is the shift from more reality based designs in Reach to a return to Halo 3's glossy purely aesthetic mentality. Yes, the HUL and UA attachments in Reach were a bit repetitive (Air Assault has two HUL variants? Why?) they were based on military equipment and Field Op needs. I know that we're dealing with a Science Fiction universe, but that doesn't mean that realism had to be sacrificed.

If you disagree with my ratings, feel free to tell me why in a civilised fashion.

#1 KingGuerilla55, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

can you include images of each helmet for direct comparison?

3. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

These are troops in a simulation. The armor can be as out there as it can be for that reason.

4. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

Technically, when you play Spartan Ops it is no longer a simulation.

OT: you sure put in quite a bit of work to judge every meaningless Barbie-attachment...

5. PacMonster1

Technically people shouldn't be allowed to use armor variants for that then. Since spartan ops are "real" engagements the spartan-IVs would have to wear their standard issued gear. Since it is a game and I understand 343 wants people to feel attachment to their spartan I can look past it. Only brought it up as a silly justification for a silly complaint

6. KingGuerilla55

I added a link to the Interactive Guide by 343i, all images are there under the 'Armor' section.

I really only rated the helms. I could have gone into chest pieces, shoulders, arms, and leg/boot pieces, but there are less of them and I am not sure every one is represented on the Guide at this time.

I also don't consider the armor or attachments meaningless, they serve a purpose, or at least should, in the Halo Universe as a whole.

Standard issue initially, yes. However, as your character progresses "equipment that better suits your talents will be provided." It's a fictional universe, but it still needs to play by a lot of the same rules ours does. Reach armor variants were more on the realistic side than the armor in Halo 4, IMO.

7. Carter1234

Carter1234 Forerunner

Are the armor pieces interchangeable? I looked and it looked like there was one specific set, and there was gonna be no interchangeable pieces. If it was that way, it would suck.

8. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

Am I the only one who can see maddox doing something like this, going on a brilliant tangent as to way the helmets are racist and therefore get an F+?

9. PacMonster1

As I said, halo 4's multiplayer is a simulation, therefore canonically the armor can be less "realistic" because of that. The spartan ops tangent wasnt what your original complaint was for anyway.

10. KingGuerilla55

You can mix and match just like always.

11. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

i think the main point of his argument is to at least give a feel that everything has a purpose and is not completely aesthetic. Whether or not it is the case in spops/war games is irrelevant.

12. KingGuerilla55

^ this ^

13. BoBwUzHeRe1138

BoBwUzHeRe1138 Promethean

I didn't want to start a new thread but I'm liking the maps in Halo 4 despite many not liking them...I like the maps more than Reach's but a lot less than Halo 3's. Anyway...I've found that the armor is really lacking this time around.

Air Assault - I thought the feminine one in Reach was good for the .0000001% of girls who play Halo lol. This one is like a mixture of the Air Assault and ODST helmets but sadly, ODST is better and sadly not in this game... 7/10

Aviator - I like it...it's one of my favorites and gives off a Return of the Jedi Scout Trooper vibe similar to the EOD being Stormtrooper-esque in Reach. 9/10

C.I.O. - Actually a pretty cool helmet. It's different but many of the 'staple' Halo helmet things are there despite it. 8/10

Commando - The Reach version was really, really cool and this one pales in comparison. However it's also sadly one of the better helmets in 4 sadly... 5/10

Defender - Like JFO, if JFO sucked. Also, it just looks like it's sad. 2/10

E.O.D. - It's still EOD but not as cool as Reach's version. 6/10

Enforcer - This one's okay...a little boxy but fairly good. 6/10

E.V.A. - Reach's version was best, then 3's and then this one... EVA was never one of my favorites but it's weirder looking to me this time around. 4/10

Gungnir - Hated this one in Reach, hate it still. 2/10

Hazop - Why does the visor extend upward over his forehead? That doesn't make any sense nor does it look cool. Flip it around and you'd get a Boba Fett/Roman/300 Spartan-esque helmet...this way...blegh. 3/10

Infiltrator - Did a Hunter punch this helmet's face inward? Cause that's what it look like. - 1/10

Mark VI - Classic. A bitt different than the one in Reach/3/2 but still great. 10/10

Oceanic - Bioshock anyone? It's not bad. It's like EVA with bars over the front. 6/10

Orbital - So...it's like Emile's helmet.... but awful in every way? Okay. Actual helmet is oddly shaped, visor is too, skull is nice and neatly printed onto the visor rather than BAMFly carved and scratched in, also the skull is small and dainty and lame looking. 4/10

Protector - I really don't understand why 343i or CA, whoever made the armor for multiplayer, decided on so many alien-like/weird helmets that look like they have no visor or just look freaking weird. This one is beter than some but still. 4/10.

Raider - In a way, this one of two spiritual successors to Hayabusa. It's very clearly based off Samurai helmets. It's not great but not bad. 7/10

Ranger - It's similar to EOD but....idk. It's not awful. 5/10.

Recon - Sigh. This helmet gets less and less cool looking IMO but because of how awesome it was when it first showed up, it's still pretty darn cool. 3's version was my favorite despite never getting it (couldn't do vidmaster at the time and eventually just said 'screw it' when Reach rolled around.) It was also really HARD to obtain. Reach came with it if you pre-ordered and didn't look AS cool IMO. Now it's acquired at the measley rank of what? SR20? 8/10.

Recruit - One of the best helmets in the game and you start with it. Some similarities to ODST, Commando, Mark VI, etc. from Reach and thus a really cool helmet. 8/10

Scout - I hated this one in 3, Reach's was cool. Reach's looked very similar to Mark VI. I hate it again. 3/10.

Soldier - Weird mouth this....Raccoon looking....I dislike it. 3/10

Vanguard - Again with the "weird, visor-less, how do they see?, why are they all like this" helmets. This one is ...whatever. 3/10

Venator - Dead Space. Perfect for Flood? 8/10

War Master - Similar in many ways to the Haunted Helmet and Emile's...I dig it. - 8/10

Warrior - This one is okay. 6/10

Wetwork - Hayabusa returns with a slit for a visor. - 8/10

Operator - Operator in Reach was like my favorite helmet to use...this one is awful. It's like a porrly remade version of Security. It's not the worst helmet by far but it's lacking. 5/10.

Pioneer - Insect mixed with 343 Guilty Spark? Dumb. 2/10

Pathfinder - Pretty cool looking. Thank god for a normal cool looking, NEW one! 8/10

Engineer - More insect, weirdness. 3/10.

Stalker - Meh. 5/10

Rogue - EVA but angled...and also not weird looking! 7/10

Tracker - Dumb. 3/10

Deadeye - Kind of cool. 7/10

Locus - GOW? And it's a metal skull. I would've liked there to be visible eye/visor lenses. 6/10.

Scanner -Stupid...this helmet would've been awesome if it didn't have that Virtual Boy slapped on it. 4/10

Strider - Lame. 3/10

Fotus - STUPID. I hate the unicorn look...it could have been cool...MAYBE but this is the silliest and lamest helmet.

It would've been cool to the Didact's helmet which obviously goes against the idea of the armor being UNSC but cmon. Better than the MM studd.

14. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Thank you for searching rather than starting a new thread. :)

I thought Oceanic looked pretty dumb when I first saw all the helmets tbh, but I tried it on my Spartan when I unlocked it and actually it looks awesome in a kinda cheesy way, especially with a red visor.

The only other ones which appeal to me are Rogue and maybe Engineer. I'll probably just stick with Oceanic.

15. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

It's funny, I like the alien/insect-like helmets the best. Anything bizarre and lacking the traditional visor is more up my alley. I guess I'm just tired of looking like the spartans have looked in all previous Halo games.

16. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Leading up to release I was sure I wanted Venator, but I've kinda cooled on it now. Plus there's no way in hell I'm ever getting that many assassinations.

17. REMkings

REMkings BIOC
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Completely agree with these comments, except I prefer 4's over 3's. However, other than you, I've always been an E.V.A. fan. I love having a helmet that's almost totally made of glass parts.

Anyway, these would be my favorites so far (don't know all helmets out of the head so there could be several ones I would exactly really like but just don't know about).
    1. Locus
    2. Soldier
    3. E.V.A.

18. caughtsword4

caughtsword4 Promethean

I like the C.I.O. and the Locus and the Soldier and the EOD and the Hazop.
    I have to disagree with that though, because I like helmets that really stand out.

#18 caughtsword4, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  19. SpartanPeter

SpartanPeter Around the Block

Well, i might say somenthing very weird here.. I think i liked the reach armor customization.. Better. Not sure, but thinking of it.
    I loved my classic Mark V helm.. I am very glad Halo 4 has Mark VI back, one of the motivations to finish the campaign on legendary. But i miss some though.. Also the Security shoulders, Cloth chest (Still got the Mark VI, phew.)... Sigh.

Anywho, helmets i do like :
    Mark VI (Defenitly number 1 for me, always loved the Mark V and this one)
    Venator
    Recruit (Helljumpers!)
    Operator

Maybe some other i don't mention now (Did not forget the Pathfinder, i don't really like that one) but these are my tops.

Edit : Oh, i also miss all the things you could put on your helmet. I was truly unique eventually, but in halo 4 i see many people with, almost, the same armor.

#19 SpartanPeter, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  20. FrozenGoathead

FrozenGoathead all i want is a CT that says mullosc

Pathfinder is my helmet of choice. Deadeye is cool too.

I feel spoiled that I got Venerator for free, and I don't even use it :3