Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

If it's going to be anything like Halo 3 the field of view has to be smaller than Reach's and you have to be able to jump over other people's heads with room to spare.

2. Security

Security Ancient

Oh god, that's why I stopped playing Halo 3. I couldn't stand how high you could jump. It just made the game unbearable.

3. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

I never minded how high you could jump, but I hated how you were literally in the air for what felt like forever and then floated back to the ground.

4. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

That's true, but a fuse that is at least slightly longer is also necessary. CE 'nades had a huge blast radius (and you had a lot of them!) but you could clearly see them on the floor and hear that telltale "tink tink" sound - and once that happened, you usually had a moment to react and get away. Not always, but often. What drives me crazy in Reach is when a grenade hits near my position and I know that no matter which way I run or jump, it's going to kill me or at least leave me one shot. I was a maestro at dancing through the rain of grenades in CE; in Reach, if you suspect the other person has more than one 'nade on them, your best bet is to hang back and wait for them to exhaust their supply before you even think of charging in.

In my view, 'nades took over for the plasma pistol and role it served in Halo 2 - the shield stripper that let you kill people reliably faster than they could kill you with just a BR. This works too well in Reach. I never thought I'd play a Halo game where you could round a corner and get first shot on somebody in an open area, and they could start by throwing a grenade as a counter and end up killing you first. That's happened to me way too much.

5. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

You make it sound like grenade spamming deaths happened every few seconds. It only annoys people because out of those deaths you got during the game one or two of them were because of some lucky nade and you were like, "that's cheap" therefore it must happen every few seconds of the match? Most of the time grenade spamming ended up in people wasting their grenades and not hitting a damn thing. The only time there was some strategy to that is in maps that are more cloistered up and have more areas to bottleneck people into. Remove those kind of maps or reduce the amount of areas that can happen in and grenade "spamming" won't be nearly the problem you're making it out to be. Unless you consider idiots tossing random grenades in various directions in an open area spamming as well, which I suppose will always happen.

6. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

REACH nades were the worst.

Inaccurate when thrown and the blast radius did not correlate with the amount of damage you should receive. It either did nothing or left you bleeding one shot.

7. FrozenGoathead

FrozenGoathead all i want is a CT that says mullosc

It will replace the sticky grenade since there might not be covenant in the game. Same properties, but it has a very nice archetictural design which would make you stop and stare at the piece of distructive art while it is just lying on the ground.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe a little smaller and bluer than this^

#1187 FrozenGoathead, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

No one would stop what they were doing to look at something, especially if it explodes.

9. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

1. May I point out that you used the word "spamming" here, not me?
    2. I don't make it sound like they happen every few seconds. I make it sound like exactly what I said: they are too easy to use and too hard to avoid.

Seriously man, stop talking to everybody like they're idiots. I'm as capable as you of analyzing game mechanics and parsing what I like and what I don't about them. The grenades in Reach have a large blast radius with not much graduated damage fall-off (so the 'nade tends to do close to max damage no matter how far away it is, until it's far enough away to not hit you at all) and a very short fuse. The result is that if someone throws a grenade near me, I know I stand no chance of getting away, and THAT is what frustrates me. It's not about "lucky" grenades. It's about endless standoffs in the curved outer ring of Zealot, where guys bounce 'nades off the walls and force you to continually retreat or drop into the middle, because only the worst-thrown grenades won't damage you. It's about Countdown and Sword Base, where grenades are continually placed in doorways as a movement-deterrent - and a very effective one, because you can't be within spitting distance of that unless you want to get smoked. Gone are the days of staying just around the corner and rushing between grenades (a tactic I leaned on in all previous Halo games); if you try that in Reach the second grenade always hits you, if the first one didn't, and you're one-shot.

We're really not even talking about the same thing. Randomly chucking grenades around a map is spamming, and it's not effective. But identifying chokepoints and narrow corridors and using those areas to fight primarily with grenades and not your gun is problematic for gameplay, and it's much easier to do in Reach than any prior Halo game. Not to the point that it ruins the game, mind you. It's just irritating (especially on certain maps), and I'd love to see them change it. A 'nade nerf/adjustment was one of the main things I was hoping would be in the TU; sadly, it was not.

Now about new 'nade types. How about a flashbang? COD flashbangs are what the flare in Halo 3 should have been, and if they're going to piggyback on anyone, that would be a good one. A smoke grenade would also be useful - imagine being able to block a line of sight on a map like Powerhouse so you can move from one building to another sight unseen. A smoke grenade that also does a little damage (toxic gas?) might be interesting. Flame grenades were fun but if they're going to cause framerate lag, leave 'em in the dustbin of history. You could also do remote detonation grenades, though I guess that would be basically stepping on the grenade launcher's toes - and I really want that weapon back exactly as it is.

#1189 Nutduster, Mar 11, 2012
  10. FrozenGoathead

Are you sure about that? Forunners are very talented with detail...

11. Berb

Berb Forerunner
    Forge Critic Senior Member

There is no need for forerunner grenades, because the covies are returning.

Source.

12. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

I could see forerunner grenades. Possibly some sort of EMP grenade could be cool and original.

13. FrozenGoathead

Oh goodie! I really wonder how Covenant will play a role in Halo 4, but I'm sure 343i will make sure it fits.

14. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

If they're returning, and that broken link doesn't help me think they are, it will certainly be on the side of the humans, not some antagonistic ****.

edit: oh wow link worked on second click.

#1194 SargeantSarcasm, Mar 11, 2012
  15. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

They are returning. I won't bother digging up the link because I'm just that lazy, but 343 has confirmed this in an interview. They specifically said the covenant would be back but that they would be "the least of your concerns."

16. Elite Warrior5

Elite Warrior5 Forerunner

I want to see the brute shot back, or a form of it. It would be cool if it had a longer delay between shots and shot flame grenades.

17. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

lol "shot flame grenades"

You have an awesome imagination.

18. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

Dear god no. A weapon that shot flame grenades...Assuming those nades were from Halo 3.

GOTY.

19. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I don't think we should see the Covenant as one unity anymore, but as separate species. I don't really see any of them working together anymore.

20. FrozenGoathead

Another Grunt uprising?
    That, I want to see!

#1200 FrozenGoathead, Mar 11, 2012