Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

perks + ranked weapons =/= halo
    perks + ranked weapons = every single FPS out there at the moment because originality and being different and sticking to your routes is bad.

2. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I was thinking if their forge system, or whatever you want to call it, was so good, they'd want to show teasers, or something. You know? I just get the feeling they didn't put so much effort into forge, but I hope I'm wrong.

3. II6clique jxIxj

II6clique jxIxj Ancient

Bungie didn't show off forge 2.0 until right before e3, so I don't think it's a problem that it still hasn't been unveiled

4. Thelepearchaun

Thelepearchaun Promethean

I havnt heard anything about unlockable weapons. In fact Ive heard the opposite. That all weapons stay as they are, but the player can pick and choose bonus abilities based on how they play...so essentially armor abilities like in reach, only not in a loadout screen, but in your options

5. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

I like all the doom and gloom going on in this thread.

Game developers love to hear how much you want games to be just like old games. They really do. /sarcasm.

6. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I'm sorry, you've walked into the wrong thread. You want the one titled "Let's all give 343 reacharounds."

Yes, a lot of the Halo community is very unnecessarily negative and pessimistic, but this place is a far cry from the Bungie forum or Halo Waypoint. We can be a little nervous. It's OK.

#926 Nutduster, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. Cheeze

Cheeze <FONT COLOR="#FE2EC8"><b>I Beat the Staff!</b></FO

Yeah, I have that feeling too. It seems that they are taking their time to make up reasons to have red spartans verses blue spartans, and **** like that. I doubt it gets a major upgrade like nut said.

But here are a few things I seen in the video

Perk bars?
    [​IMG]

Sexy helmet with stripes? Maybe the stripes will be like the new armor effects, and there will be different designs and ****.
    [​IMG]

An unhelmed Spartan?
    [​IMG] Trololol

#927 Cheeze, Mar 5, 2012
  8. Skisma

Skisma Creative Force

I know what you're saying about the spartan armor, but I'm sure it's customizable. Plus I actually like that you play as a different breed of spartan...it makes the multiplayer have it's own little separate story.

9. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Alright Cheeze, I bit. And laughed.

10. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

There's nothing more telling than the fact that there's no information about perks released other than the game will have them, and people still manage to complain. I wouldn't be able to feel the pea underneath those 20 mattresses, y'know?

11. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

You do realize you can't have it both ways right? You can't get a game that is "classic halo" and have a game that is innovative and very different giving people unique experiences. Either they make it so similar to past halo games that people say why did they even bother, its just a 60 dollar cash grab of the same thing, or they change it significantly and people say its no longer "halo".

Learn to accept changes and adapt. You know why a lot of other games have a perk system? Because it is an effective way to treat player interaction and progression. People enjoy "winning" things for the effort they put into playing and expect the effort they put into it to result in getting an advantage over people who didn't put in the effort or are just starting out and have yet to try.

Basically all I'm saying is its early, real early, like TZ said "don't judge a book by its cover" and its an early early early cover.

12. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

Fair point. I enjoy change, but I feel some of the changes in halo 4 bring it closer to, not futher away from, other games on the market. All I can think about when I see the HUD, the weapons is Crysis. When I hear "lots of weapon choices" I think differing scopes, so I think COD and BF. When I think Halo, I think few weapons, and everybody starts the game on a level playing field. I like a level playing field. Newer players can come in later on in the life cycle and actually have an affect, rather than die, die, die, die, die, die, get an assist, die, die, die and then sell the game.

They say "faster based campaign." Good, but what was awful with the flow of previous halos? They were slower because you were encouraged to explore a linear level.

I mean, now on the HUD power weapons are shown. Don't like that for obvious reasons either.

[​IMG]

I hope thats a bug. Lower polygon, very boxy hit boxes? I swear i've heard that before...

#932 Oli The G, Mar 5, 2012
  13. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

BR is back?

Sweet.

That's all I really wanted. The reticule does look a bit too big for it though.

And I actually like the way these spartans look, along with the way they move.

Perks? Eh, I'd need to see more info.

14. Gosgo

Gosgo Promethean

well, there goes one of my franchises down the drain, I knew i would miss Bungie, and now I see why, perks and non halo looking "spartans", atempting to explain something that never needed exlanation, It looks more likes Tribes Ascend and Dead Space now!... 343i, you done wrong.

#934 Gosgo, Mar 5, 2012
  15. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

I was pretty impressed with the content from the trailer, but from what I've been reading from the articles, I am starting to facedesk.

If perks are included in the game, I REALLY hope that they are like the ones in BF3, ie: they have very little impact on the player.

I don't really care if players have sprint so long that it is not a pickup/loadout. I want to see the equipment set up like H3.

I'm not liking the HUD giving out crutches to nubs by letting them know where the weapons are + the idea of random placement. It seems like they're catering to non-competitive players and ruining the notion of player equality.

16. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I don't think that really matters at all. We don't even know what the explanation is yet, or if it will impact the game whatsoever or is just some throw-away thing. Calm down a little.

I am pretty concerned about perks though, and apparently it's been implied that there will be playlists for both perked-up Halo 4 gameplay and a more stripped down experience. They're going to keep fracturing the hell out of the player base. I really feel like Bungie and 343 both haven't really grasped how, in the attempt to appeal to as many people as possible, they've actually limited their own success. It seems to me like classic "chasing after every dollar we can get" - like Hardees adding chicken and tacos and whatnot to their menu. Eventually you have to recognize that you're not going to get the chicken and taco dollars out there; you have to focus on making the thing you're good at and known for. (And I have a hard time taking 343 seriously when they say they're not chasing anyone's tail. Maybe when we get a full explanation of the perks system, we'll see how revolutionary it is - but at a glance, it's hard to see anything except a developer trying to steal back market share from games that are out-performing its franchise.)

#936 Nutduster, Mar 5, 2012
  17. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

Yep.

It used to take coordination for a team to secure power weapons through timing them, now we just look at the map and see if they're up?
    Smart.

18. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I actually like the idea of signaling to players in some way where power weapons are, but I'm not sure I like it on the radar if it's going to light up like that if the weapon is there (and not appear if the weapon isn't present). That's a little too much of a crutch. What I do like though is the notion of letting people know where to find key weapons; Halo has always been just a little too knowledge-dependent for success, and nothing is more frustrating than playing an unfamiliar map and getting absolutely wrecked just because you don't know where the power weapons spawn and the other team does. This wasn't a big deal in Halo CE with its relatively limited roster of maps, but since Halo 2 we've had larger map selection due to DLC and more maps on the disc to start with, and since Halo 3 we've had forge variants in custom games and matchmaking; I play at least a handful of completely unfamiliar maps every single week lately. In those situations I certainly wouldn't mind a little information being doled out in-game, though I'd prefer it at the beginning rather than throughout the match.

My own personal idea for a long time has been some sort of alteration to the loadout cam - maybe a quick fly-through screen that shows the heavy-hitting power weapons before the game starts? Or if that's too complicated, how about briefly-appearing (e.g. a few seconds) waypoints right at the game's start that fade out?

I don't think I heard about this random factor. What is the scoop on that? Will they be spawning in random places or at random intervals? Seems like a bad idea.

19. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

I really thought they would have learned their lesson from Reach. Although, the recent developments with the TS playlist and the catering toward the Reach purists had me second guess that. Now it seems as if they haven't learned anything and rather are taking Bungie's mistakes a step further and now I'm really worried about H4. Reach has proven that a split community doesn't work. Having half the playlists being "barebones" and half being "default" causes people to lose interest pretty quickly, especially when the dev is obsessed with jamming things like AA's into the "classic" playlists. It also hurts Forge and customs since you'll be continually specifying that your map should be play with "normal H4" or "classic Halo" gametypes.

20. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Seconded on that. I'm frustrated with the ongoing fracturing of the Halo community. To some extent this goes all the way back to CE, since MLG played with no motion trackers and pistol starts whereas default game settings were different; but it's a gap that has gotten larger over time, and it's no longer just the relatively small MLG group standing on the other side of it. Plus there are actually more gaps now - not just competitives vs. casuals, but all kinds of playlists for different combinations of settings and everyone feels obligated to stick to their favorite. I can't help but feel that this hurts the game in the long run, and erodes support for it. When I get into a custom game lately, I never know what I'm going to be playing - bloom, 85% or zero bloom? Armor abilities or not, and if so which ones? Movement speed and jump height? How will the power-ups work? Bleedthrough, sword block, armor lock nerf..? It makes my head spin. And so many of these changes were pushed out as background settings in the gametypes that it really just depends what people happened to save to their hard drive - they may not even know themselves what game they're running.