Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

but thats what im saying, double xp doesnt effect gameplay. how does it give you an advantage?

2. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

YOU MIGHT GET THE BR 2 MATCHES BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE.

/sarcasm.

3. pyro

pyro The Joker

Won't it allow players to unlock stuff faster? That's not much of an advantage, but it's a step on the way to selling weapons.

4. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

yeah, but from what i understand you unlock everything pretty quick anyway. and no, its not really. everyone still has access to the same things. double xp will just give it to, as TSB said, a few games quicker.
    trials and other games do something similar, but to a far more severe extent. you can pay to unlock classes right away, or you play the game a shitton and unlock them that way

5. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

You know what would be great? A playlist that kicks you and your team out for 24 hours when you lose. They could call it the hardcore playlist or something. You could get bonus stuff for managing to win a certain number of games in a day, or winning consecutively across multiple days. It's no skill ranking, but competitive? Fun? I think so.

But instead I get improved Grifball. Thanks.

6. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

We can buy the limited edition to get skins and loadouts or whatever it is exactly.

Pyro gets the point.

7. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

skins dont effect gameplay. and you dont get any loadouts in the LE

you dont get the point. its a marketing campaign. youre not even paying for anything in the game, youre paying for mtn dew and doritos, which in turn gets you a few games of double xp. which doesnt effect gameplay.

#8587 Wood Wonk, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. pyro

pyro The Joker

If that's the case then I don't see a problem with it. As long as it's possible to get the stuff without buying its not too bad.

9. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

****. I was napping and i missed the live stream.

I am so old. :'(

10. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

The issue with it is that it's on a slippery slope to buying out-of-game products that do affect gameplay.

Even now, it could be argued that these purchases can affect gameplay; ex: I buy h4 the moment it comes out and use tons of double exp. I am now level 5 when everyone else is level 2. I can use whatever loadouts, etc. And it gets worse as time goes on. Level 130 - Level 80 (I'll be kind here).

11. Mace

Mace Old Tyme

Lets be real here, you're going to loose matches anyway, it doesn't matter for the first 4 games you play if the other team get the BR/DMR/Whateverthe**** before you because there is a large chance you'd get matched up with people far better than you anyway or you just aren't any good or familiar with the game yet. And they made the weapons pretty damn balanced, so you will be able to use what you start with to get kills pretty easily those first few games you play on launch day. It's really not as big a deal as you think it is.

12. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

I'm perfectly okay with double xp. I never had the gusto and never really cared to get to max level in Reach because I got nothing. Halo 4 does give you things though, but it limits your regular game until you get them all. The real game starts at max level so getting there as fast as possible is nice.

13. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

He took a picture of him with everything. He also wouldn't ever know how to photoshop.

14. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

You can argue the practicality of the thing all you like, but the fact remains that they're linking gameplay affecting factors (in a game which includes level unlocks, rate of XP gained is a gameplay influencing factor) with purchases. Not just that, external purchases, linking it with a promotion for other products to gain money from the manufacturers of those products.

Is it going to end up causing huge disparity between players? No, you're right that it isn't. But the principle of the thing is still kinda underhanded imo. Even if it comes down to just one kill made by one player who wouldn't have a gun or mod that they have as a result of double XP, it still puts me off as a practice.

15. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

You could argue that they should have everything available if 343 hadn't changed Halo for a money-grab.

16. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

It does, but I wouldn't complain. I would just be slightly worried.

17. Mace

Mace Old Tyme

This is true, but once we all get our basic weapons (that aren't power weapons...) after the first hour of playing in hindsight it's going to be the smallest deal ever.. But you do have a valid point.

Anyway, has anyone that pre-ordered from Amazon had their disc shipped or made ready for shipping (tracking your package online)?

18. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

best buy all the way.
    skin
    HELMET
    and one of those fancy posters that change depending on the angle you look at them
    I don't know why you would choose anything else.

19. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

I know precision weapon kill times have been thrown all over the place, but has anyone given a rough estimate of how the AR performs compared to Reach? It's a bit harder to gauge from small amounts of gameplay than precision weapons, but it seems to have been beefed up a fair bit especially on health damage. I guess the basis for this would be that it's a primary and has to contend directly with the precision primaries, or maybe I'm wrong and it performs about the same as Reach. I just haven't really seen people talking about it in terms of their experiences, am I missing anything useful?