Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

If by default you mean non forge then yes, Anchor 9 and the other space one from the second map pack both had it on 2 player split.

I've had it occasionally on maps like Zealot as well. Not frequent, but certainly there.

2. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

As forgeworld was a "default map"....yes, in fact Reach did have frame-rate issues in 2 player split screen on default maps. If you mean "non-forgeworld" maps then what comparison are you making? Also, if you couldn't tell by the heavily laden sarcasm dripping out of that post, I'm not putting much faith in the leaked information for there even to be a base comparison to compare from.

As I highly doubt torrent sites are getting their hands on finalized retail versions of the game a month ahead of the game's release, I would guess leaked versions are what they usually are. QA builds that happened to have found themselves in the hands of unscrupulous employees who shared their version on the internet for whatever reasons applied to them. The alternative is someone stole a disc from a warehouse or from a retail store. While those two possibilities can happen (and have happened in the past) they are not very probable.

Also, like Titmar mentioned, we do not know the circumstances to which this "frame rate" was detected. Did overkill recreate the problem? What was he doing when he noticed it? Did it have noticeable effect or a significant impact on playing with others?

#8282 PacMonster1, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

So only on maps where there's zero-g **** happening in Reach. From the way I heard it described, it happens in all Halo 4 split screen maps.

4. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

overkill said he only noticed it on Complex.

5. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

That's weird considering it's a mid-range map that seems no more intricate than the others. Or maybe I'm misjudging Complex's size.

6. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

It's pretty big with a lot going on. It's supposed to be a 4v4 but it's large, like Boardwalk. There are some LoSes that cross the entire map while having a lot on screen that are the problem I guess.

7. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

This. I would also say Overkill is pretty credible, although I won't comment as to the nature of how he ended up with a copy of H4 early (partially because I don't know how).

Spoilered the below partially because I don't want to leak things here (I'm not sure about the status of "no leaks" in this thread) and partially because I don't know whether it's been officially mentioned before. If it goes against the thread rules somehow, I'd like a mod to delete this whole last bit here.
    Thoughts on the changes to the bridges' shape? They're 2.4 wide now instead of two, so the actual space on the bridge is 2 instead of 1.6. 343 also had to screw it up and make the bottom of the bridge uneven..there is a ridge on either side of the bridge marking the position of the railings from underneath..

#8287 theSpinCycle, Oct 27, 2012
  8. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

I'm afraid you're incorrect, then. The leaked version is the gold copy, the final retail version, just like the leak with Reach was over 4 weeks before release. QA builds don't really make it to the stage of final disc images, which is what these leaks are. They're ripped images from gold copies of the game. Leaked versions are not "usually" QA builds by any means, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

The only questions with regards to these leaked copies are whether the leaker is telling the truth. Disparity between what they're finding and what we'll experience with retail copies isn't really part of the discussion to be honest.

#8288 Pegasi, Oct 27, 2012
  9. UnfrozenLynx

UnfrozenLynx Promethean

Here we have it folks! The very first video of a Lockout remake in Halo 4! I'm so glad to see this painfully underplayed and underappreciated map from H2 returning to us once again.

All sarcasm aside, please note the horrendous Z-fighting seen in this map. How the hell are we supposed to avoid this kinda thing with the nudge feature removed?! Magnets are only good if you want to build cookie-cutter maps with no unique dimensions, constructs, or aesthetics.

No leaks guys, come on.

-RST

#8289 UnfrozenLynx, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
  10. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Getting rid of Z-fighting without using nudge feature or whatever you want to call it isn't that hard.

11. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

They can be the most picturesque looking walls but after 1000 games of the exact same picturesque walls they will become the new gray.

All gray means you could mix any piece anywhere without sacrificing aesthetics, But with new pieces looks like you can't make as complex merges because have lights/beams/gray/white all looking dodgy, But it does allow for some more potential in fancy looking athletics.

So it's a break even in terms of visual appeal imo.

12. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

You can work around the nudge tool, but it's so much more painstaking than duplication or object alignment or duplicating was IMO.

As for the comment on magnets, yeah, I agree. I don't see myself using them much as there will probably be so many generic maps made with the generic connecting points that I'll be crying in a corner from the massive amount of 'Station, whatever' pieces being used on Impact. I'm calling it now. Unique piece usage will all but require turning magnets off.

Also, that map looked much more bland in terms of color diversity than Reach ones did. I'm not sure why Waypoint keeps saying "no more grey maps". It personally never bothered me, but the issue doesn't seem to be any better without usage of lights. I hope they're viable options again.

13. UnfrozenLynx

UnfrozenLynx Promethean

I dunno, it isn't easy to get those flush floors and clean structures just how you want them without it. You'll end up with small bumps and geometry that doesn't line up just right.

@Waylander: I agree, there were a lot of people who were vocal about what features would make Forge better for everyone. One of them was simpler, better meshing textures. I guess it's better to make textures detailed to impress casual Forgers (who will play in the Forge for maybe 10 hours tops and never touch it again) than it is to dedicated Forgers the utility and tools to make amazing maps (spending hundreds of hours in the editor).

#8293 UnfrozenLynx, Oct 27, 2012
  14. Narfidy444

Narfidy444 Promethean

Can some one plz give me a CLEAR defenition of Z-fighting agian. My brain be getting rusty right nao.

15. Waterfall

Waterfall Promethean

I was so horrified by the z-fighting in that video ( I kid you not) I actually gasped when I saw it, I hope that there is a way to get rid of it without precision movements,
    Anyways, pause at 2:11 there is a cable coming from that antenna, I wonder if that is forgable, also I believe it was at 2:47 floodlight is clear, it's hard to tell if its giving off light or not though. Also what canvas map do you guys think you will use the most? As for me probably erosion first because I predict everybody else will be using impact and ravine is like FWvwhich we all need a break from.

16. Narfidy444

Narfidy444 Promethean

So are you saying i need to change my favorite canvas from impact. Um i mean uh... right erosion... heh heh...

But in all seriousness now that I've seen what erosion pieces look like. (brown and corroded) i can see my self using it more.

17. Waylander

Waylander Ancient

I think you can spot the folks that have been forging since 3 vs the ones that started with reach.

All the things so many people are bitching about not having did not exhist in 3 so the folks that were making maps back then are just like "we'll figure something out" and the reacharounders, "OMG NO NUDGE STUPID NON MONOCHROMATICNESS GRR!!! HALO 4 SUCKS!"

I may be exaggerating a bit.

18. Furry x Furry

Furry x Furry Ancient

I know it's a bit early to start making suggestions for the next iteration but I hope they put a layer feature in. See some z-fighting? Set one object to layer 1 and the other to layer 2. Layer 2's texture comes through instead of layer 1. Even if there were only 5 layers, it would help out immensely. I'm not bitching, I'm just throwing out ideas on the off-chance the next person developing forge views this thread. Haha.

Quite a bit I think. Why would you not expect something so essential in the previous game. "Oh, they were just fine two games ago! **** it." That doesn't make much sense.

#8298 Furry x Furry, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  19. GRIFFIN XVI

GRIFFIN XVI Promethean

I still don't understand why they would remove a useful feature, they talk about player preference but then remove so many options, I just don't get it. Did they ever give an explanation as to why they removed nudge, custom gametypes etc.?

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

Can I get a link to this video? Can't seem to find it on YouTube

#8299 GRIFFIN XVI, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  20. Narfidy444

Narfidy444 Promethean

[NOPE] i don't have a link embedded here

Seriously, what part of "No leaked videos, guys" is overly complicated? Let's keep it clean in here.

-RST

#8300 Narfidy444, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012