Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. GrenadeGorilla8

GrenadeGorilla8 Forerunner

Halo 3's population is almost as strong. I was in social slayer the other day and it was over 6k. Thats better than team slayer or btb in reach.

Halo 4 will be fun. Even if its not exactly what everyone wants, we will all still play it. And it will probably have a larger population and longer life than Reach could have dreamed of having.

#8041 GrenadeGorilla8, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

Because 343 screwed the game up, Most of People who enjoyed it the way it was (aka people like me) got screwed over by all the post TU changes and Most of People who wanted the TU still hated Reach.

So who exactly is the key demographic that would still be playing it?

4 will only have a longer life then Reach because of what 343 did, As long a new Halo comes out every 1-2 years the life span of future halo's can only be 1-2years bulk of any game's player base will always move to the newest installment. (reason releasing a game every 1-2years is so profitable)

3. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

TU was an improvement, but it was still pretty shitty, since they couldnt really change the core stuff that made it so bad(movement, overall "clunkiness")

4. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

How do you feel that the TU screwed you over exactly?

For my money the biggest problem with the TU wasn't that it existed but that they refused to commit to any one version of it. There were literally three versions of it in matchmaking (beta, initial rollout, and then the updated TU with bleedthrough removed); none of them (including the one we have now) was extended to all playlists; and even within the current TU you have both 85% and zero bloom, which feel very different to each other. Lack of commitment was the biggest issue because they divided up the community into lots of little pockets (even more so than the matchmaking playlists already do), and it's incredibly uncomfortable and disorienting to move back and forth between the different versions of the game; I can't stand playing super slayer, then vanilla slayer, then MLG all in a row; they all feel like entirely different Halos to me. I would have preferred an across-the-board TU even if it meant compromising the specific changes they decided to make so as not to run off vanilla Reach fans.

Although for the record, I am a supporter of everything in the TU. I really like the armor lock nerf, the removal of sword block, and 85% bloom over their default counterparts. And if you have a year or two, I'll tell you why. :)

#8044 Nutduster, Oct 23, 2012
  5. StolenMadWolf

StolenMadWolf Promethean

I just had a thought, Will 343 possibly launch more Forge Maps in DLC? I personally find the current three forge maps to small, so more forge maps would come in handy later on.

6. GrenadeGorilla8

GrenadeGorilla8 Forerunner

I prefer TU gametypes and refuse to play anything vanilla.
    I feel that super slayer does poorly vs. team slayer is partly because of the people that don't know what the TU fixed (there are still tons of people like this) and partly because of playlist placement. Most casuals will go straight to team slayer because its in the first section at the top of the list so therefor it must be the best. The gametypes that do well under the Evolved section like BTB and FFA only do well because there aren't duplicate playlists like Team/Super.

Just my theory.

7. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

I'm not talking about some "nice" restaurant. I'm talking about the 5 star "I can't afford a glass of water" restaurants. They have small streamlined menus. 3 appetizers. 5 dinner entrees. 2 desserts. No "make this for me because I know you have the ingredients back there".

Those restaurants are as famous as they are for a reason. The chef had a clear idea of what he wants his food and restaurant to be like as an experience, and you get what he sees in his head. This is what they are doing. They want you to experience it as they imagine it. It won't win EVERYONE over, but they know that, and don't care.

8. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Discussed frequently and often-wished for. I say again: probably not, and if they do, those forge maps are likely to be little-used and unpopular amongst forgers - unless they are staggering advancements in what forge is capable of, or are free. And I think both of those are remote possibilities, to say the least.

9. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

Anybody see the RvB PSA?

Is it just me, or does that armor look cartoony as hell?

Reminds me of the old Bionicle Mata-Nui Online game. Props to anyone who's played it. Loved it, but it doesn't feel right in Halo IMO.

Along with a bunch of other things.

10. Ticky

Ticky Forerunner

Bionicle forever, man.

I was never a fan of RvB comedy, say what you want, but they just aren't very funny. Nonetheless, the shading probably looked a little off because they were standing in that shady area on Longbow.

11. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

12. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

it probably was an old build of the game. There are no shadows on their armor. Also I noticed that they colored their wetsuit... thing, which I'm sot sure you can do in the final build

EDIT: @cluck thank god...

13. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

I don't mind it actually. Though they do look oddly tanking-ish. The main problem is the vibrant colors (which are awesome) don't mesh with the bland "realistic" maps.

14. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Scratch that playlist comment. He was kidding.

15. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

I hope it was an old build, and the lack of shadows and stuff seems to support that, but would they really only have an old build when the game has been gold for a while?

Well, I hope you're right.

And chrs, that's probably why it stuck out to me a lot more than say...Halo 3. The maps look like their aesthetic style is closer to Reach while the armor looks like a Halo 3 offshoot. Doesn't mesh well.

Personally, I liked the nitty-gritty Reach aesthetic more than Halo 3. They actually looked like they had seen combat.

16. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

Well the technical side of it was just adding more choices and gametypes which I'm a huge!!! fan of, Which really annoys me about halo 4s custom game options...(If there as limiting as it seems)

The reason i feel "screwed over" there is a lot of little complainy bitchy reasons ong of them been 343 is catering to people hate the game not me who likes the game(like when girl tries to change herself to impress a jerk instead of been herself that I already like) and little technical things I don't like about gameplay but if that was a choice it would matter it's mostly just because:
    I liked the vanilla reach warts and all and I enjoyed playing it with randoms in MM, They Removed the vanilla gametypes from MM, For no other reason then "I can't play the game I once enjoyed" annoys me.

If MM system was better it could of been avoided with TU/Vanilla playlists would been a lot better because I'm fine with clearly labeled versatile gametypes Invasion/Swat/BTB/MLG, But tbh reach's MM was horrible from the beginning so wasn't expecting a good one I just wanted a place to play game i want to play.

And MM is the restaurant and I agree with that. But when i leave the restaurant and go to my house I want to eat what i want to eat, And removing gametypes(for gameplay reasons) is like banning food from my house.

If it wasn't for gameplay reasons they couldn't develop it or whatever then that's fine but still feels like they should of put more resources into not losing gametypes over whatever they put the resources into.

#8056 WWWilliam, Oct 23, 2012
  17. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

More like HALO 4 as a whole is their restaurant. When you go home and eat other food, that'd be the other Halo games and other games in general. They have a vision with this game, and an experience they want to set up, and if you don't like it as is, then I'm pretty sure they're okay with that, because they did what they set out to do.

18. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

19. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

That's what could be said about halo wars/odst but halo 4 is meant be be a continuation of the series, I see it as a spin off but if there gonna hold up a charade and pretend its a prequel and allow us to remake near classic content but not enough to remake classic gametypes(and remove gametypes) I think its fair to criticize them.

20. pyro

pyro The Joker

Anyone know about boltshot overcharge vs. vehicles?
    Seems like it could be pretty powerful.