Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Zero Point

Zero Point Promethean

I would hope so as well. There's no FFA, Multi-Team, Team Objective, BTB or just normal Team Slayer? I seriously hope this doesn't mean 343i royally screwed up and took away map/gametype voting in any form.

2. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

That BravoMLG video had the guy saying each playlist had one gametype (if I'm not mistaken). I think you can still vote on what maps are played though.

3. II6clique jxIxj

II6clique jxIxj Ancient

Last multiplayer map is called Vortex. It's a large dirt map with rocks, a moody sky, and forerunner structures. Vehicles will play great on it and there's enough head room to easily accommodate banshees. Looks a lot like highnoon, looks wise not layout. The layout is a 3 leaf clover.

4. Zero Point

Zero Point Promethean

I kinda figured that was the case, but no gametype voting? I seriously question why 343i would take that route. That's just wasting supposedly "limited" playlist space and removing opportunities for expansion. I hope that can be changed at a later date to allow for both gametype and map voting in a single playlist. This setup they took just baffles me.

5. CAPNxXxCANT

CAPNxXxCANT Forerunner

I know most of you don't want to hear it, but these new (stupid)playlists are very CoD-like. Just sayin

6. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

I wouldn't doubt it.

I swear, they're going to be playing like 2 maps.

#7426 Shanon, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  7. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

So Regicide is the only FFA playlist?

That's bull. I liked FFA.

8. Shanon

Yeah, I find it kind of stupid that they wouldn't include an FFA or Objective playlist.

9. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

Wait. So I can't play regular FFA Slayer, just Regicide?

.../me hopes for options to create FFA slayer

10. Shanon

I'm sure you'll be able to create a FFA slayer gametype.

11. Zero Point

Zero Point Promethean

When you think about it, if they can program the algorithms to give you a random map in a specific playlist, why can't they program them to give you a gametype, aka Halo 3? This playlist setup won't be too bad for the first month or 2 to get people acquainted with the new gametypes, but beyond that I can't see it making much sense. There's a reason why there has never been a single gametype per playlist.

Now say Big Team gives you Ragnarock, from there it chooses a random gametype from a pool suitable for that map. You can either choose to veto that combo or stick with it or whatever. So you can either go with BTB Slayer on Ragnarock or veto that and get say... CTF on Meltdown. That's not very difficult to program considering matchmaking is dictated by the server. All that would have to be done is put the gametype name in front of the map name shove an on in between those and bam, done.

12. zeppfloydsabbtull

zeppfloydsabbtull Promethean

How do you know that the drop-out trends in other games are for the same reason? I find that the best predictor of how many players will leave in a game is how many low-ranked players there are, because they either don't have enough time or like the game enough to finish a game, but also because they're more likely to lose badly and get frustrated. How do you know that factors like that don't account for the difference between quitting rates in games? For example, fewer players in my matches quit in H3 before Reach came out than after Reach and in Reach because of a population and thus skill difference, yet neither game had the drop-in feature. I find it hard to believe that frequent (high-ranked) halo players feel more guilt than less frequent players when leaving a team (unless their team is a non-random party).

I am not certain that these factors really do matter, but you have not demonstrated that your certainty (going out of your way to say "...fact...") was justified. Do I doubt that it will lead to more quitting? No, but I do doubt that it will lead to so much more quitting that the decision makers should worry about it offsetting the benefit. I'm not saying that I'd rather have the feature in, because I do worry that most of the open quit slots will be on either low level or grossly unequal level games, such that more frequent players would not be served by joining it unless the ranking system is really precise. Dropping in is a search option, though, right?

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

Are you describing what has been the case in previous games? If you are, then I don't think it needs to be said that it can be done. The problem is that they don't have FFA, assault, non-infinity BTB, etc., but I don't see how playlists devoted to gametypes is a problem. Now you know exactly what you're going to get and you can't be disappointed. Hasn't every playlist setup changed very quickly after release? If they're going to have the most players of H4's lifespan playing it at release, it makes sense that they could split up playlists finely to isolate which gametypes players like most and least.

#7432 zeppfloydsabbtull, Oct 13, 2012
  13. Zero Point

Zero Point Promethean

I wouldn't say playlists devoted to specific gametypes is a problem in the early stages of a game, I do understand why they're doing it, but for the long term I don't see this set up lasting very long. You may know what you're going to get, but the number of objective gametypes you can put in a Team Objective playlist for Halo 4 is only 4: CTF, Dominion, KoTH and Oddball. But that's not counting Extraction since we have no idea what that is yet. So not exactly anywhere near the sheer number of variations on the same gametype as in Reach nor the sheer number of objective gametypes in general.

What I would like to see it be refined into over the months is: FFA can have Regicide, Infinity Slayer and Oddball, BTB: CTF, Dominion, and BTB Slayer. Multi-Team: Slayer, Oddball, KoTH. Infection: Flood. Team Slayer: Infinity Slayer and Slayer Pro. Team Objective: CTF, Dominion, KoTH and Oddball.

So not exactly many gametypes to choose between or if you get something you don't want to play you have a pretty good chance of playing it next round.

#7433 Zero Point, Oct 13, 2012
  14. zeppfloydsabbtull

BTW, the boltshot is a chargeable 1sk shotgun secondary loadout weapon.

#7434 zeppfloydsabbtull, Oct 13, 2012
  15. GRIFFIN XVI

GRIFFIN XVI Promethean

The Boltshot is not 1sk at full shields, it's basically the Plasma Pistol + Mauler. And the Mauler is not a 1sk. Nice try though.

16. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Is there anyway to create an invasion like gametype now?

17. Elite Warrior5

Elite Warrior5 Forerunner

With the most recent news, I am glad that I didn't preorder it. Come on 343, I know you don't like the Covenant theme but damn no covie maps? Also is there even a single arena map?

And 343 is too stubborn. They want to force us to play the way they want by not including many gametype options.

Thanks 343, I thought you would have catered a little bit to the original halo fans but I was proven wrong...

18. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Well I've been hearing that Extraction is kind of a mix of invasion and territories, so maybe. Don't get your hopes up, though.

19. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

I really, really don't understand why they actually removed gametypes. Revamping them, okay, fine, reinvention to keep things fresh. But removing them altogether? So disappointing.

20. zeppfloydsabbtull

Where did you read that?

The sample of players chosen to speak about weapons for the bulletin on Promethean weapons said otherwise (they are not simply commenters):

The Halo Bulletin: 9.26.12
    Paul (Assistant Director of Photography) - The Boltshot has become my go-to sidearm in MP because of the double functionality of the charge blast. Nailing someone coming around the corner with a one-shot kill is always satisfying.

Sam (Software Development Engineer) - I love the Boltshot because of its secondary fire mode. It's the ultimate risk/reward trade-off: you have to start charging at exactly the right time or the blast will fire before your enemy is at point-blank range. Get your timing right, though, and this handy little Forerunner pistol will send your opponents straight to deathcam with a single shot. Unleashing the Boltshot on an unsuspecting player coming around a corner is immensely satisfying. It's also a great weapon to pair with weapons that are more effective at longer ranges, like the BR, DMR, and LightRifle. Charging opponents wielding short-range weapons got you down? Don't worry, a couple of encounters with your trusty Boltshot will make them think twice about coming near you, making it that much easier to pick them off with a series of well-aimed headshots from your rifle of choice.

I'm guessing though, that you have a more recent source saying that it is a not a one-shot kill, presumably because they nerfed it in a later build. If you read that it was "like a mauler", that person might not have been speaking completely accurately. In any case, it will be harder to use than a shotgun, but it fit into the joke well enough.