Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

something that i think would be very useful, but doesnt seem to be there, is a meter.
    if anyone has ever used the Trials editor, you will know what i mean.
    theres a meter in the top right of the screen signifying "track complexity" and it fills up gradually as you add more objects. as you move over your map, if at any given point you have too many objects in that area, it flashes a warning, letting you know that the complexity is reach unstable levels in that area.

2. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

That would be... deeply upsetting. It's not hard to build a map that punishes framerate in Reach. It doesn't even need to be a real map, just a semi-map-like pile of objects, maybe with a light or two. I feel like they have to have tested it at least to some extent, but whether they fixed it or not and whether they'll ever talk about it (or just leave us to cope with the outcome like we did in Reach)... who knows.

3. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

What an awesome idea. It'd be intuitive and non-threatening as well, which is undeniably important when we're talking about Forge. A Framerate counter in the top right would smack of old school PC debug modes, which would draw me in but I could see it being a little offputting for some. Any such mechanic has to fit the current UI aesthetic, and some kind of meter would definitely do that. Sounds like I need to try Trials editing.

4. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

Monitors don't need shields, let's just turn the shield bar into a framerate bar!

I do find it quite surprising that with such a focus on the lightmapping/shadows that they haven't shown off any lights, dedicated light pieces or even pieces with lights one them.

5. II6clique jxIxj

II6clique jxIxj Ancient

Looks like Europeans will get hands on with Halo 4 a week early. At least that's what I think this is Link If there aren't any lines that'd be pretty sweet.

6. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

its over complicated at first, but really in depth and amazing.
    and... and... GROUP SELECT and GROUP COPY!!!! zomggggg

7. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

As for the original forge pieces... maybe these pieces aren't really structurally useful. Which would be lame.

As for the map being the first thing he ever made, that's pretty exaggerated. For an hour, that would have been an amazing map for a first-timer. It WAS admittedly bad, though.

8. Ticky

Ticky Forerunner

For the sake of time and demonstration. He was just trying to display a basic map.

9. Munchiebox

Munchiebox Forerunner

Still better than the cage lmao

10. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

"To participate, open an account at DEWXP.com or DORITOSXP.com. There you’ll be able to unlock and load future XP matches that can be redeemed to amplify the Halo 4 Multiplayer experience, accelerate Halo 4 specializations, and reveal brand new gear and weapons. Cool, right?

To reap the benefits of Double XP, follow these four steps:

1. Register at DEWXP.com or DORITOSXP.com.
    2. Pick up specially-marked packages of DEW and bags of DORITOS chips.
    3. Enter the on-pack codes into your account, as of October 15, 2012, at DEWXP.com or DORITOSXP.com to load up on matches of Double XP.
    4. Pick up Halo 4 on November 6 and begin pushing Double XP matches to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag via DEWXP.com or DORITOSXP.com.

In addition, Double XP value is unlocked when Mountain Dew and Doritos chips are purchased together.

• Unlock and load Mega XP at Walmart – specially-marked 24-packs of Mountain Dew and 10 ½ or 11 ½ oz. bags of Doritos chips will offer Mega XP – 12 matches of Double XP. Also, for a limited time, Halo 4 games sold at Walmart will include an insert with a unique code. Pair that unique code with the Double XP codes found on a 24-pack of Mountain Dew and specially-marked 10 ½ or 11 ½ oz. bags of Doritos chips and unlock a total of 38 matches of Double XP.
    • Beginning in late October, unlock Double XP matches, Halo 4 game content, and badges at any 7-11 nationwide with an exclusive ‘King of the Hill’ mobile app and the purchase of Mountain Dew and Doritos chips.

For complete details, visit DEWXP.com or DORITOSXP.com. And regardless of whether you plan on taking advantage of this opportunity or not, you should probably start stockpiling an assortment of food and beverages. Your groceries aren’t going to buy themselves come November 6, you know."

I get to be rewarded for becoming a fatass? How cool.

11. Matty

Matty Ancient

I haven't played Trials in a lifetime but as i remember the meter was your limit on object density. You could expand in any direction, so you are only limited by how much you can put in a given area. It is somewhat what like FarCry, where objects have a performance cost, rather than a monetary one. The other benefit in both of these games were the complete lack of item limits. But this meter wasn't a form of guidance, it was their game currency.

#7311 Matty, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  12. xzamplez

xzamplez Ancient
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Titmar forgot to mention that the feature, while a clever idea, is completely broken. Place 20 objects and it'll start telling you the performance is low.

But yeah, Trials editor>forge, and Trials>Halo

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

I don't get this comment. More objects would be lame?

#7312 xzamplez, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  13. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Well give it five years, people will turn on it eventually.

He meant that more non-structurally-useful objects would be lame, particularly since they seem to be only part of the palette that is unique to each map. More prefab buildings and weirdo aesthetic objects, in other words, which don't really help you much in making good competitive maps.

14. xzamplez

xzamplez Ancient
    Forge Critic Senior Member

People won't turn on it, if it doesn't sell out. As long as it acknowledges the hardcore speedrunners/ninjas, and has fun, innovative tracks; it will be respected.

More pre-fab buildings would blow. I was talking about structural objects.

15. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

16. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

Thanks, Nutduster. Got what I was saying exactly.

Just out of Kuriosity (lol) are people calling Kynan Pearson an idiot or am I missing something?

17. II6clique jxIxj

II6clique jxIxj Ancient

18. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

no i was talking about ryan mcaffrey

19. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

To be fair, when your job is attempting to know everything about every game in the history of existence, he does a pretty good job knowing what he's talking about.