Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

I think there should be at least a couple of the base-to-base BTB maps. Those tend to attract more attention for their simplicity and feelings of security in having a definitive base for your team.

That being said, I'd also like to see a couple more maps like Headlong, with an urban style and more uniform structure placement to compliment the base battles.

Also, I prefer Valhalla over Sandtrap but the mobile base idea had something going for it; I think it just lacked proper execution. I mean, Sandtrap heavies was a lot of fun to **** around on. I feel like some urban/mobile base map hybrid would be pretty neat. Here's hoping we can forge the Mammoth (unlikely, but hey, I can dream).

2. Elite Warrior5

Elite Warrior5 Forerunner

I wonder how Valhalla will play in the new Dominion gametype...

3. Sam

Sam Ancient

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that Flood will only be 12 players max. I really hope that's not the truth, I hope that for custom games we can have 16 players max, and that they're only referring to the matchmaking gamemode where the limit is set at 12.

Hopefully 343 will clear up some confusion soon. Also, I'm excited for Valhalla.

#6483 Sam, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Looks i gotta update my maps list post and damn, dat Valhalla. Now I'm happy!

5. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

So we have:

Complex - BTB
    Valhalla - BTB
    Longbow - BTB
    Exile - BTB

Adrift - Med/Large 4v4
    Solace - Med/large 4v4
    Haven - Med? 4v4

7 maps out of what is an assumed 11 (they mentioned 10 new maps in the MS employee slideshow, +1 remake= 11 and is a pretty standard amount of maps for a Halo game) and 4 are all very large 12+ player maps. Now I like BTB but man, over half the revealed maps are larger scale focused and there isn't much good looking stuff for standard, 4v4 slayer. Valhalla could double as BTB and 4v4 but given how they upscaled every maps they've showed so far (to the point where they pretty much all could have handled 8v8 in any past Halo), I wouldn't be surprised if it's upscaled too.

It really seems like they're going all out on the big gametypes..4v4 might not be standard Halo anymore..I'm feeling like it's leaning toward 6v6 and meh to that.

6. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

ehh i dunno, to me valhalla seems like the largest map theyve shown so far by a pretty good margin. longbow didnt look really terribly large for a btb map, and exile looked even smaller. from those gameplay vids it seemed like you could run from base to base in like less than 20 seconds. and im not sure complex is BTB at all.

7. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

^this.

Longbow didn't look BTB at all to me.
    seemed like you could drive from base to base in less than 3 seconds.
    hell, in most of the gameplay videos they sprint from one base to the other in a pretty short time.
    it could just be from being confused of the actual size since we are only watching, not playing.

#6487 Titmar, Sep 26, 2012
  8. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

Wasn't it mentioned that Haven was possibly the smallest map?
    Closest I could find is this:
    Damn. That map is NOT small. If that's CQB to them, are those silly scoped battles on Boardwalk mid-range? It's the reason I hate Boardwalk. I'd hate to see all of the bigger 4v4's designed with BW's definition of a "mid-range" (i.e. 'who unscopes the other guy first wins') fight.

I loved the small 4v4 maps (Zealot, Midship, half of CE, Citadel, Guardian, etc.). Those were most of the best maps IMO. I'd hate to rely on forge to play on those types of maps again, but it looks like that's what's going to happen.

#6488 That Scorch Guy, Sep 26, 2012
  9. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Complex had ghosts, so I assume its a hybrid 4v4/6v6 as a few others have been. I dont think any are strictly BTB, but large enough to sustain a BTB. I'm happy to see such a big focus on the larger battle sizes, its something pretty overlooked in my time on Halo. Not to mention that these hybrid maps will allow more to be played in 4v4 as well, so that's nice. Really, i am very happy with the map selection so far. They all look good in one way or another. Solace, Adrift and haven are all awkward to look at i think, but I have not seen any reason to suspect they are poorly built. All in all I am excited for the new list.

Not sure how I feel about that...still, we can all sprint now and have jetpacks, so maybe its for the better? hard to say until we play H4.

#6489 Audienceofone, Sep 26, 2012
  10. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

from a corporate standpoint, they could be making lots of BTB maps in order to encourage people to purchase XBL gold.

not many people have dual screens with linked xboxs.

11. Skyward Shoe

Skyward Shoe BTB Legend
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I'll take the larger map size as recompense for what they did to BTB in Reach.

Complex is for no more than 6 v 6 from what they have shown. Longbow, Exile, and Valhalla look to be smaller BTB maps that can support 6 v 6 as well as true BTB, which I like, though I wouldn't mind a full scale one.

I agree that there should be more small maps, but frankly I play more in the range of maps we have seen so far. Still, a few smaller room or atrium based maps would be nice.

12. CAPNxXxCANT

CAPNxXxCANT Forerunner

Like chrst said, I think that with all of the changes the new halo might work best with higher player counts and bigger maps. Even saying that, I think that we are overestimating how big these maps really are. Sprint and overall more fast paced gameplay is going to shrink them.

Regarding adrift, I think what makes it cqc is how it is layed out with all the hallways and segmentation. Just to throw in my opinion, I don't think I'm gonna like that map very much

13. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

By BTB I'm referring to 6v6 and up. All of those maps I listed at BTB are at least 6v6, which is big. Whether or not they're straight up vehicle 8v8 maps they are much bigger than traditional 4v4 Halo maps and all seem to have the "BTB style" to them, which is open terrain spotted with various buildings.

14. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

look, we still have 4 maps left, and I'm hoping at least one of those is a decent vertical-map. I don't expect any more BTB maps for Halo 4.

15. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

i still dont know if thats accurate. i guess ill have to play them to be sure, but exile definitely doesnt look any bigger than a map like last resort, probably even comparable to standoff sized. the split down the middle makes it able to support a larger party, but to me it looked like it could easily support 4v4. and coplex probably even more so, it sort of looks like even 6v6 would be a little crowded. longbow looks like a natural 6v6, 8v8 crowded.

#6495 Wood Wonk, Sep 26, 2012
  16. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Yeah, Complex isn't BTB. I feel like it's gonna be around the size of Ghost Town, but that's a guess.

17. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

its funny how we have only seen like 4 pics of it and suddenly we all know everything.

18. Elite Warrior5

Elite Warrior5 Forerunner

That's what's great about what 343i is trying to get out of the maps; they are usually good for 8v8 and 4v4...

Also, has there been any BTB Heavies gameplay released yet?

19. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

*Begin Raging*

20. Ticky

Ticky Forerunner

I don't think there's Heavies, but the gameplay I saw on Exile had Gauss hogs...